Wrong Car type - any suggestions?

lnstrdt
By lnstrdt,
in

I hope this is the right place, I read quite a bit of the posts trying to find the "right" forum for this question. Great site BTW. When I have more time, I will rtn to the hotel sections and post some recent wins (if not already known), and of course all my future ones.

Okay, so here's my dilema. My parents/family are flying into CT (hartford - BDL) for my graduation and need a car for 6 days. This car needs to hold 5 adults and 1 infant (carseat). They need this as they will be here traveling at times w/o use of my car (to split up everyone) as I will need it for work.

I tried to help my dad find a 'deal' as he's paying for everyone to come (no he's not independantly wealthy, just big hearted). I first checked Hotwire - compared SUV to Minivan. The price was the same $36.95/day (270-280 for the week) for each but only the minivan listed capacity as large enough.

I then went to Priceline to bid: first bid for minivan at $15 rejected (I knew it would be but I had 6wks left at the time so I thought what the heck). 2nd bid for minivan @ $25 rejected. 3rd bid same day for $30/day was accepted by Hertz at the Hartford,CT Bradley airport. Then the confirmation came through - it's for an SUV. I know I started with minivan selected, but I'm afraid that somehow scrolling down to put in my offer or intials that the drop down box was still activated? and I failed to notice??? At $30/day it is a considerable savings over Expedia/Orbitz/hertz direct for the week so I'm not upset, I'm just afraid it won't be big enough.

I've called the priceline 1-800 and 1-888 numbers and get this forever loop of a computer voice telling me I won (yes, I know) and to check the web for my itinery. Anyone think that this slip is correctable? Is there a number to get a LIVE person on the other end of the line? Or should I just call Hertz directly. I wouldn't think it's that big of a deal given that SUV = minivan in rates at several sites that I researched first.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the wordy post.

Michelle

Which rental company did you get? Most rental companies will let you 'upgrade'.. probably for a fee. Try calling the rental company at Bradley (look up their local phone #) and see if you can negotiate directly with them.

I just rented a full size car (which are not as big as they used to be, we discovered!) and was offered either an SUV or a Minivan. I didn't take it so I don't know how much it would have been.

Good luck!

JB

P.S. Oops! Just saw that you got Hertz... call them directly at Bradley.

I've had 4 minivans, but considering the popularity of SUV's, your request would be "trading down". Definitely call the rental counter at Bradley to see if this is possible.

PS, hope you post your win in the car rental category of this board in case someone might be considering renting a SUV in Hartford :)

You might be in luck. I read, just recently, (sorry, can't remember the source) that a lot of the rental companies are trying to get people to take the biggest cars they have in stock (without being charged more). Since gas prices have gotten so high, the rental agencies seem to be stuck with more large vehicles because most people are trying to rent a more economical and smaller car. GOOD LUCK!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]