Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC MTE Grand Hyatt

last minute
By last minute,
in

Hello, first off...this site is GREAT!!!!! :) I appreciate the hard work that goes into this site! Kudos! :)

Second....anyone know what hotel this is on Hotwire?

Midtown Central

Customer Favorite

4*

Restaurant, Fitness, Business

11/2-11/3

$190

Trying to locate last minute hotel room for 11/2-11/3. My bid on Priceline won't reopen until after 10pm tonight! :) . I should have asked for some bidding help in the beginning!!! I'll give you the scenario in case you have any helpful ideas.

The good thing is that it doesn't really matter which part of Manhattan, but was hoping to get a 5* for under $200, but it doesn't look like THAT's going to happen :o ...so have any ideas on which location is best for a 4* and how much I should bid either Priceline or Hotwire? Think I'll have a chance at the last minute?

Thanks a bunch!!

Welcome to BetterBidding and thank you for the kind words... they're much appreciated!

I don't have a high degree of confidence in this one because there are no descriptive amenities and the three that are listed are quite common in most 4* rated NYC hotels. With that said, i'm going to guess that it's the Sheraton New York. This was previously a 4* Customer Favorite in this zone but in the past it included hi-speed internet. I just checked the vacation product and this hotel is listed there without the internet icon... thus now matching the description above.

Also, one of the comments also states that the lobby was excellent and my wife tells me the lobby there was recently renovated (and although i know more about hotels than she does, she's right more often than i am :) )

Although most mentions in this post indicate this is the hotel, i'm not as confident as i think it reads. :)

If you decide to go try Priceline again let us know your previous bid history and we'll supply a suggested strategy to try going forward. Even though this is the Hotwire section of the board, just add it as a reply to this thread since this thread will eventually reside in the forum of whichever service you use.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As there is no way to avoid the Hyatt (MTE) or the Hiton Towers (MTW) other than not bid the zone at all, are you adverse to biddig those zone entirely? My opinion on "are they that bad" is... no, they're not that bad. In fact, if you look in our HOTEL REVIEW section you'll find some favorable reviews on each of these hotels.

This isn't to dismiss the complaints that some have regarding certain hotels, but especially in NYC i think some people see the high list price of a room at their hotel and then expect it to be 'over the top' in service because of the cost... well there are a LOT of things in NYC that cost a LOT and are no better than a similar product in a different city. The other nuance of NYC is that real estate is at a premium and as a result rooms are notoriously small, which leads some to think they're getting a bad room. Indeed, some rooms are indeed worse than others, but in NYC i tell people to expect a small room, and then expect it to be half of the size they think it'll be!

Let me know what you want to do regarding the MTE and MTW zones and i'll provide a detailed strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

okay...you talked me into it! :)

I talk you into nothing, all i do is supply the facts as i see them (in other words... my opinion) :)

I would try 5* again, but if you're willing to go up to $200/nite i would:

5* MTE and bid $160

add re-bid zone and bid $170

add re-bid zone and bid $180

add re-bid zone and bid $185

add re-bid zone and bid $190

add re-bid zone and bid $195

add re-bid zone and bid $200

If/when the above fails i would start at a brand new Priceline screen and try the following (i didn't include Lower Manhattan as i don't think it serves your purposes well):

4* MTW and bid $95, if rejected add

MTE and bid $110, if rejected add

UM/CPS and bid $120, if rejected add

MTS and bid $130, if rejected add

UES and bid $140, if rejected add

re-bid zone and bid $150

I think you'll be successful with something above but if you fail at all levels there is a $157 4.5* Hotwire hotel (in MTE) that appears to be the 4.5* Inter-Continental The Barclay (but if you go that route double check the amenities shown on your search to those in our Hotwire Hotel list to make sure we're being shown the same property)

Good Luck and let us know if you have any questions regarding any of the above.

Thanks to "thereuare" :) .....my bidding history:

I tried the 5* bid, got rejected...even went up $15 more....$215 instead of $200...guess it wasn't meant to be...

5* MTE and bid $160

added zone and bid $170

added zone and bid $180

added zone and bid $185

added zone and bid $190

added zone and bid $195

added zone and bid $215.....rejected

Started over for the 4*

4* MTW and bid $95, rejected

MTE and bid $110, rejected

UM/CPS and bid $120.......accepted!

Grand Hyatt New York

Sub: $120

Tax/Fees: $24.31

Total: $144.31

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt twice and both times were miserable with poor service. The first time I stayed was so bad I wrote a letter and got a free night, which I wasn't expecting because I had got the room off priceline. The second time (the free night) was equally as bad. Never again. Mold in the shower, stains all over the carpet, slow slow slow housekeeping (took about 4 hours to get washcloths since we had none in the room).

I hope your stay is better than mine!! :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]