Priceline Hotel: 1st try = reject now what?

amor1964
By amor1964,
in

Thanks for the compliments on the site.

I checked Hotwire for your dates and prices are thru the roof (no pun intended). I can't find any information as far as how many attendees THIS CONVENTION has, but my guess is that this expo is making demand extremely high for these dates.

Did you just select those 2 zones and place your bid? Not really recommended you do it that way as MTS is known to cost more than MTE, so you can gain an extra bid by bidding MTE first, then raising your bid and addding MTS, then adding your re-bid zone and placing yet another bid. Having 3 bids instead of one certainly gives you more opportunity for success.

I can provide a strategy to try, but given prices i'm seeing, this one may be very tough... at least until the convention gives up some of the rooms they're likely holding (usually about a month before arrival date).

What is the maximum bid you're willing to go to and are you only committed to the MTE and MTS zones or will any midtown location be acceptable?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your reply.

The dates are firm, But location certainly is not. I spend most of my time between Times Square and Chinatown/Little Italy. Never a need to go above 72nd. I have no problem going up to $200 per night (incl tax(s)) I've never found an inconvienent location, but I have sure have some experiences with overpriced horrible hotels!

Thanks

This is very ugly...

Sheraton Manhattan: Sold Out

Sheraton NY and Towers: $419/nite

Hilton Millenium (downtown): $329/nite

Hilton (all other NYC, inlcuding Waldorf): Sold Out

This is going to be difficult. Is lower Manhattan an option as well (most people don't want it but it sounds like it may be an option for you). Let me know about Lower Manhattan and then i'll post some hard numbers.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I knew something was up when I started my conventional means of booking a room, VERY expensive OR sold out. My only problem with Lower zone was the fact that this will be a weekend, and things are pretty quiet then. We come and go late at night and cabs are nearly impossible down there and the subway walk is not the best on a late weekend night. Exact neighborhood is not a concern in any other area except Lower. Here are some thoughts from this PL amateur, let me know if they make any sense.

Perhaps this could be a "blessing in disquise" reasoning is that when these hotels update/ release some rooms blocked for this convention, they will be looking to fill vacancies (?) Maybe even more last minute vacancies than usual (?)

Would it be a good idea to book a refundable room (found reasonable by LGA) then try my luck from 30 days on in for target dates? It would seem that the hotels would have rooms as the reservations are updated, and cancelations close to target dates.

DO book a cancellable reservation at this time... also look at some places in NJ in addition to LGA (no great transportation to/from NYC from LGA).

Yes vacancies may open up w/n 30 days but chances are vacancies will be lower than usual (due to the convention) and hotels won't likely be 'desperate'.

I'm on my out the door for a long weekend, i'll post a strategy when i return.

I'm not optimistic with this, but it won't hurt to try and this is what i'd give a shot......

Selecting 4* choose

MTW and bid $120, if rejected....

add MTE and bid $130, if rejected...

add MTS and bid $150, if rejected...

add UP/CPS and bid $160, if rejected...

add re-bid zone and bid $175.

I'm assuming that $175 will bring you to about $200/nite after taxes and fees but double check the total figure Priceline shows you.

If you're not sure of your re-bid zone, give THIS a read.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Welcome back, and thank you for the help.

As of this morning:

For 12/5-12/7

4*

MTW @ $120 = reject

added MTE @ $130 = reject

added MTS @ $150 = reject

added UP/CPS @ $160 = reject

added UPE @ $175 = reject

and last I added UPW @ $180 = and yes, again, rejected.

SO...now do I just continue trying this, especially closer to 12/5?

I do have a reserve at LaGuardia Crowne Plaza @ $119, can cancel up until 6pm arrival date, but I really hate the "commute"

Thanks much for your help!

I would continue to bid this until mid-November. Since inventory appears to be very tight, I would also consider lowering the quality level to 3* in the hopes of getting something reasonable with a good location. Adding Lower Manhattan is also another 'desperation' option (whether you add lower manhattan first or lower your quality level is a decision you'll have to think about).

Also, how familiar are you with NYC and the LGA area? As far as i know, the mass transportation options to get into Manhattan are not that great around LGA. Perhaps i'm biased living in NJ, but i think there are better options in NJ than LGA.... like Jersey City and/or the Meadowlands area (with JC having a bit more mass transit options). I can give you some specific hotels if you want to consider this side of the Hudson for you back-up (and you can ultimately even bid these areas at the last minute if all other options fall thru).

OK, I will continue on this stratagy for a few weeks, I'm still confident. Thankfully I am familiar with NYC and airport hotels, IMO to take subway from an LGA hotel is a little less hassle than a JFK hotel, and quicker. LGA Crowne Plaza has a courtesy shuttle to the nearest station for the 7 train (3/10 mile) I only use train to get into city in the morn and taxi to get back at night. This particular trip I'm into JFK and out-of LGA, so that's a good thing. That's also the reason I didn't look into Jersey. I'm used to not being able to return to hotel during the day, but it sure would be nice to have that option!

I'll keep at it.

If you want a backup room that can be reserved ina dvance and then cancelled if/when your PL deal comes through.... try the Marriott Courtyard in Newport/Pavaonia Jersey City Waterfront. It's a brand new property (less than two years old) adjacent to a nice mall with some restaurants nearby and right next to the PATH train station. The PATH runs 24 hours per day and gets you to Manhattan in twenty minutes or so for about $1.50 - $2.00 each way.

Prices appear to have gone crazy this year for fall season - I tried to get a 2* or 1* room on PL for this weekend and had no success in any zone at bids up to $95 even for 1*!!! I've decided to try a little known but reputable tourist class hotel called the Madison at 29th and Madison. Will post a review for you here after the weekend - their fall special is $74 per night with all taxes included - goes up about $10 after mid November but it's still an incredibly low price and I have reliable reports that it's a decent property. I had to reserve non-refundable because I reserved this week and it's so close to arrival date but they may have cancellable reservations for dates further out.

Ultimately it depends upon what you would prefer... a lower star rating in Manhattan OR the hotel near LGA you booked as a back-up.

Personally i would probably lower my star rating to a 3*, but sadly i must admit i'm not too optimistic that it will help. The best rate i could find at a known 3* hotel thru a consolidator is still close to $319/nite (i didn't search too hard, but i doubt you'll be able to find the same hotel at half that price). I would continue to bid this at the 3* and 4* level, but if you're successful i don't think it'll be until very close to check-in date.

As well, as you can see from THIS POST there are times when NYC just has no Priceline availability whatsoever! :) Maybe see if the hotel he referenced is available for your dates? Doesn't look luxurious, but at that price the savings may be worth the lack of fanciness given that you won't have to deal with commuting hassles.

Well...I went through my "every 72 hours bidding routine" this morning. Same routine that is documented in earlier post. Went up to $180 all zones except lower after starting MTW $120. The outcome was no surprise!

I may go down to 3* in the next couple of weeks, but from what I've seen, read, heard, there is just nothing to be had..period.

Other than the Madison Hotel which was pointed out by other poster as an alternative. They quoted me $74 all taxes included. We all now that's too good to be true so I had to find reviews of this place. "If you like backpacking in India, you MIGHT be ok here" was how 1 review started. "You check inn and get your key from a guy in a cage behind bullet-proof glass" was another observation. If it was just me I might just try it, but after reading these reviews there is no way I could even suggest it to my wife. She suffered a "life-changing" experience one trip when we stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania! What a place...never again, only "designer labels" for her now. HA

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]