Priceline Hotel: Bidding Stategy for Priceline

CalGal
By CalGal,
in

I just recently read a published article in Conde Nast mag on how to bid via price line. It stated for 2* hotels bid in the high $20's, for 3* bid in the high $30's and for 4* bid in the high $40's. Is this the correct strategy? I am going for a 4* in MTW (May).

I totally get how the re-bidding works so know what to do if my first bid is not accepted. I just need confirmation on the above bidding technique.

Thanks a ton.

CalGal

Strategy is based on a lot of factors and cannot be generalized that easy. Beginning bids are based on previous bid history, seasonal variations, occupancy, location, day of the week etc... Study the FAQ's carefully before bidding and look at other posts to learn more. Priceline is a great tool for getting rooms in great locations for really great prices but some areas are much tougher than others (ex. New York)

Thanks much for your in put. I reviewed the points of the FAQ's that had to do with bidding. My query came about due to the fact that there seems to be a consensous that 4*'s in MTW can be gotten in the high $40's and or low $50's. I do realize that it depends on what other "win bids" are coming in at for the time which I will be going to NYC too.

I read a post today of someone bidding between 120-210 which I found to somewhat high. . . .the query she had however was not on how much to bid but how to do re-bidded and get free re-bids, again I thought this was high as recent wins posted today and yesterday are far below this price range.

I didn't read the article but if i'm understanding your interpretation of it i don't know how one could generalize such as that... if you bid those amounts in NYC they would certainly be wasted bids.

If you would like help with your above stay let us know the acutal dates of your stay and your maximum bid amount.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It was the April 2006 Issue. I subscribe to the Mag. Travel dates are firm which are May 17-21. Would like to stay at a 4* in MTW (Times Square) that zone and my top bid would be 210.

Thanks for the in put. I generally trust the information I get out of the Mag but many who are part of this forum seems to have lots of first hand expierence in getting great hotels ast super deals so I would be more apt to put my trust and accept the guidence from those in the forum.

Is MTW the only zone you're willing to accept?

By including more zones you'll increase the number of bids you have and increase your chances of getting a good deal sooner. Most visitors to the city can accept MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS... but it's ultimatley you're stay so you would know best of these other zones are acceptable to you or not.

If you only want MTW we'll suggest a strategy for only that zone, but if you're willing/able to accept the other areas we'll include them in a suggested strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You have two re-bid zones at the 4* level in NYC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $140, if rejected closer browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone2...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $160.

If the above is rejected i would try this in 24 hours:

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $170, if rejected closer browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone2...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $185.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

I am in the middle of my bid and the first of 130 was rejected. Given the option to rebid right now so I attempted to do that increasing my bid to 140, however it is asking me to change one of the criteria I have selected such as date of trip (that's firm) * rating(that's firm) and area. I can change area but not sure which zone does not not 4*'s any suggestion? I can also add MTE which does have 4* and I am willing to compromise on that. But if comes back not accepted, I will close the broswer, go back in and start a new bit with my criteria at 150.00 any quick tips?

UES and UWS do not have 4* hotels and are free rebid zones. Did you read that section of this board where it explains this very important part of bidding stategy? This post is probably too late to help you with your earlier post, but maybe can be used in the future. Good luck .... but really read about how to rebid using the free rebid zones that Thereuare linked you to earlier.

Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

Thanks for the tip! I did read the re-bidding section but could not tell what zones did not have 4*. There are lot of threads so maybe I did not go back far enough.

I totally dig the rebidding strategy, no Q's there at all. I just did not know what zones did not have 4*. I will use that info tomorrow when I go back in to re-bid. I did get in several free-re-bids tonight and per the strat I was given, I logged out and will make another attempt tomarrow. Once successful with a winning bid, will post all specs.

I did read the re-bidding section but could not tell what zones did not have 4*.

you should never determine your rebid zones by looking at previous threads! Suppose Priceline adds a new property with a higher star rating in one of these zones? You need to check rebid zones for each round of bidding.

you can easily do this by checking off each zone individually and it will show the highest rated hotel for that specific zone. If you are bidding for a 4* property and the highest star rating in an adjacent zone is rated as 3*, then this adjacent zone is a "rebid" zone. Knowing your rebid zones will make you a BetterBidder and help you get a great deal.

So, if bidding for a 4* property, can you list the rebid zones in your next post?

What helped me in the beginning with the free re-bid zones was that I made a graph listing each zone on the left side of the paper and listed the stars at the top of the page. Then, when I checked each zone individually I marked an 'X' under each star category that particular zone had. At the end of the excercise I had a visual of exactly which zones had which stars. So in NYC, I have big blank spaces for anything over a 3* in UES and over 2.5* in UWS. All the others have at least 4* hotels in them.

I know that those are considered my 'rebid zones' because when bidding for a 4* in say, MTW, and I'm rejected, if I add one of those (UES, UWS) and re-bid, I'm still only searching for a 4* in MTW because there are no 4* hotels in those other zones.

This graph helped me alot. I still do it - even after bidding for 3 1/2 years using this board. Since Priceline does not forgive mistakes if you mess up, I'm very careful when I bid and this is the best way I know to make sure I'm bidding for exactly where I'd like to stay....

From Priceline Re-Bidding Explained:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time.

Also, for anyone having trouble with the overall concept, this PRICELINE REBID ZONES PICTURE does a decent job.

Okay so here is the full 411 on my bidding with no success. The strategy is quite easy to follow which has been laid out as well as the rebidding strat. Each of my re-bids adding the different zones had no success.

bid 130 MTW 4*-Failed

re-bid 140 MTW 4*-Failed

re-bid 150 MTW 4*

Closed browser and went back in via SB.com

rebid 130 UES 4*-Failed

rebid 140 UES 4*-Failed

rebid 145 UES 4*-Failed

bid 145 MTW UES 4*-Failed

rebid 150 MTW UES 4*-Failed

rebid 160 MTW UES 4*-Failed

rebid 145 MTW UES UWS 4*-Failed

rebid 150 MTW UES UWS 4*-Failed

rebid 160 MTW UES UWS 4*-Failed

bid 165 MTW 4*-Failed

rebid 170 MTW UES 4*-Failed

rebid 180 MTW UES 4*-Failed

rebid 185 MTW UES UWS 4*Failed

rebid 190 MTW UES UWS 4*-Failed

bid 200 MTW 4*-Failed

rebid 225 MTW 4*-Failed

The entire time I have gotten free rebids so I think going to chill back and I'll try again at the end of the week.

Just and update, I have had ZERO luck with getting any bids accepted via PL in the last 48 hours. Using the strategey but no bites so far. I have gone past my max at one point 225. and it did not even take that. What is the in put on bidding closer to my arrival date in NYC in terms of having better success? I am obviously going to book a back up hotel just in case nothing comes though, but I am BENT on getting PL to accept an offer. Guess its the Super Shopper in me and I like the challange. . . .still hoping for success.

CalCal

Please keep all of your posts about your NYC trip in the same thread. It makes it easier to understand what dates you are talking about. (bump me thereuare)

First, you are only bidding on one area in NYC. This is limiting the number of hotels you could possibly win. If you expand your area to MTE or UM-CPS, you will increase the number of hotels that you could possibly win.

Second, your dates are right around college graduation and rates aren't cheap. Hotwire is showing MTC for $342 and MTE for $317. Your max of $225 isn't going to come close to what they will accept.

I read your other post in a new topic but I will respond here to keep it "on topic". My advice is to be patient and keep trying every 3-4 days with your strategy and maybe include MTE as its not really that far from the area you seek and I think it would increase your odds of winning tremendously. The "W" New York on Lexington has rooms for those dates at buy 3 get one free promo making the total stay $1077 plus tax which is above your limit but may be an option if other availibility does not appear. I recently spent over a week looking nearly every day and finally got the Hilton Times Square for $116 for the dates of Apr 27-30. I had been rejected less than 48 hrs before at $175 so patience is the key and bidding too often will just get you frustrated....

Gagnee- Thanks for the additional data. I have tried bidding 4*MTW/MTE combo but no bites. I will keep at it like you suggest. Per your post I see that it takes major dilligence to get a winning bid. The deal at the W is not bad. I am familiar with the hotel so may check that out but will keep at the other as well.

Patience is the key and you still have plenty of time to score on your room. I would not panic and I would try to get a cancellable backup just in case. I am referred to as "the family travel agent" in our clan and I make reservations for more than myself. I enjoy the Priceline "challenge" and I must admit the whole game is somewhat addicting... and FUN!!!

Gagnee, OMG, you and I don the same hat! My husband I have traveled far and wide and having sought out, booked and conquered hotels in 4 European countries and across the United States without a single disappointment, my husband thinks I am a genius! ~ : ) I do the same for both my sisters and a small handful of friends who have traveled to Europe for the first time. . . . . . I seek out and conquer and my husband pays! Right ? ! I too love the challange and trust me, I can endure the amount of time it takes to get a deal. So on that note, know I will hang and post my success once acheived. Thanks for the post and happy travels to your and yours. Best, CalGal in Florida.

Same here... I do arrangements for my brother in law who is an actor and is sometimes embarrased to let his friends know he got the Waldorf or Westin on Priceline!!! My wife and I are trying to travel more as our careers have "settled" somewhat. I also am booking rooms for week after next in Philadelphia as we are boxing vacation time around a seminar I am attending.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]