Priceline Hotel: 3* Philadelphia (Downtown) Embassy Suites

pelly1
By pelly1,
in

Trying for downtown hotel 4/21-4/23. I see this is the same time as a previous post (lwitchel) where he/she got the Marriot for $46.

I tried $46 - bid rejected.

I tried - $50 - bid rejected.

I tried - $55 - bid rejected.

This is the first time I have tried Priceline so I am just curious why one person can enter $46 and get the bid first time and I still have not been accepted for the exact same days. I assume I am doing everything right and it is just the way it is working out. Any insight? I guess I will try another time or two, but it will soon not even be that good of a deal.

If I do eventually win a bid, is there a good chance of being stuck in a smoking room? I really would much prefer a non smoking room, but are we at the complete mercy of the hotel.

successful bids that won 3 weeks ago have no relevance to bids that will be accepted today. Room inventory changes daily, in this case the Marriott (and other 3* properties) may have "sold out" of its $46 offers, so today, it will take a higher bid to be successful. As your dates near and room inventory changes, either up or down, the minimum bid can change as well. This hotel has 1200 rooms to fill each day and management wants to even out its occupancy levels and maximize revenue.

That being said, you've bid up to $55, what is your maximum bid? What is your back up plan if you cannot secure a room equal to or less than your maximum bid? Do you have a cancellable reservation? As far as being stuck in a smoking room, this is the risk that you must accept as a Priceline Bidder, but so far I have never been refused a non-smoking room. The risk is small and balances out the reward of saving $100 on your room.

Thanks for the response. That is helpful. I do not have a cancellable reservation, but have checked into other options that I could purchase. I am nearing my maximum bid, but as you describe it sounds like since rates change regularly I could put a lower rate in the future and possibly still get a "winning" bid.

...or you could end up with no winning bid if the hotel starts to fill up.....don't forget, there are NINE 3* hotels on the list of winning Priceline bids, not just the Marriott, so be prepared to accept any one of the nine. I think you may be close, you can now bid after 24 hours, I would recommend making a cancellable backup and keep on bidding

I have been going to Philly on a semi-regular basis, and more regularly in the recent past. While I used to be able to get a 3* (usually the Marriott) with a $46 bid, but for the past 4 wks or so, $46 is not enough for a 3* any more ( In Downtown that is)

Having said that, 2.5* hotels are now coming up for $46. Lately, the Courtyard by Marriott has been coming up with a $46 bid. Having stayed at both the Marriott & the courtyard, I would say they are fairly comparable, and actually, to be quite honest, the Courtyard is a better value.

Why, because you get free internet connection at the Courtyard, while you will have to pay about $10-$11 per day. Both have a 24 hr gym, both have an indoor pool and whirlpool (the pool @ the Marriott is MUCH larger, though) The Marriott's pool area locker rms do have a sauna & steam rm, which the Courtyard does not.

Regarding rm quality, the rms at the Courtyard are large, clean, and have great beds and linens, and the bathrooms are new and just fine.

The courtyard is in a historic office building, and they have done a GREAT job restoring it and converting it into a hotel. The lobby area kept the 1930's decor, and it's beautiful.

Oh, and the Courtyard is literally next door to the Marriott.

The other 2.5* hotel that comes up is the Hampton Inn, which is also in the Convention Ctr area. Having stayed there also, it's a new build hotel, and the rms are just fine too, but the beds and bedding is not your fancy, upgraded stuff - just your standard hotel bed and linens.

It also has a small gym and inpool pool & whirlpool, and also provides free internet connection. The biggest bonus? It includes a free breakfast buffet - cereal, fruit, toast, bagels, waffles, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee - you get the point.

So IMHO, I would go ahead and bid $46 for a 2.5* in Downtown Philadelphia.

Here is an update.

Clicked link from savingsbarn.com

Bid $57 on a 3* - Didn't win (It did give me the option to increase bid by $17)

Took kwokpot1's advice and dropped down to 2.5* and lowered bid back $46 - Didn't win.

Hey, I am not winning, but I am having fun and I think I may have also memorized my credit card as well. :-) One of these days I will have a reservation. The anticipation as I watch the arrows go across the screen... waiting... where will I stay... will this be the time I win?... nope, ok come back tomorrow and try again.

Pelly1: Sorry to here you weren't sucessful. You do have some times, so I wouldnt worry yet. I'm surprised about the 2.5*; I had sucess for 2 separate stays last week, and yesterday, I was able to get $46 @ the Courtyard for this Fri/sat.

But as you see, I'm bidding VERY close to my stay date, within 1 wk, so I think that the hotels just haven't released inventory.

Keep trying!

kwokpot1:

I have been going to Philly on a semi-regular basis, and more regularly in the recent past. While I used to be able to get a 3* (usually the Marriott) with a $46 bid, but for the past 4 wks or so, $46 is not enough for a 3* any more

can you share a few of your recent wins with the board?

thanks!

pelly1

you received a counter offer, but many times you can succeed by undercutting the counteroffer. You might be successful by raising your bid by as little as $5

The search continues...

Raised downtown 3* bid to $61 - no luck (again offered opp to rebid at $17 more)

downgraded to 2.5* and bid $49 (increasing over previous 2.5 bid) - still no luck

I may try one more time tomorrow at $65, but then I may resort to more traditional means as I have not been able to get these "great deals" that everyone else seems to be getting.

Success

I got a room at the Embassy Suites for $65.

Don't know to much about this hotel. I read one or other 2 reviews mentioning a made to order breakfast being included! Would that need to say on the confirmation or is this standard for this hotel?

I will continue to read a bit more about parking, etc. but I am happy and the location is good as we will be spending some time at the Franklin Institute.

Thanks for the informative website.

Congratulations on your win.

Was $65 your first bid today or did you have rejected bids earlier in the day?

Made to order breakfast is standard at Embassy Suites property so that is something that you too will be entitled to. Additionally, Embassy Suites also have a "Manager's Reception" in the evenings which includes free drinks (soft drinks, beer, wine) and appetizers. Two great perks of this chain!! :)

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

a great win! This property was originally built as an apartment building then converted into a hotel. Its design is basically a cyllinder and each floor has only 10 "pie shaped" rooms with balconies, great views all around, and the rooms are huge. Hope you are a Hilton HHonors member and ask for a top floor if possible. Parking is a huge rip at $24 a day but if you feel like walking about 2 blocks (as I did during a HHonors reward stay in December) the Philadelphia Parking authority operates a parking deck that is basically empty on weekends. The flat rate is $5 from Friday evening to Monday early AM Gateway Garage If you take your car out of the garage, you will have to pay again, but at $5, it is still a bargain. You'll be steps from the Philadelphia Museum of Art where admission on Sundays is "pay what you wish". You can get around on the Phlash bus for $1 for each boarding or buy an all day pass for $4.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]