Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC Hotel 9 Nov 2006 - 19 Nov 2006

ChrisUK
By ChrisUK,
in

I've followed the suggested strategies for bidding for a 4* hotel and just cannot get one to 'pop out' of the system. So far I've gone up to a bid of GBP130 (which is around US$200) with no success.

I don't really want to split my bid (although I understand this is a fairly lengthy stay). Does anyone have any suggestions as to why it's so pricy ? I'm missing Thanksgiving and am unaware of anything else going on. Obviously I do have plenty of time :-)

Chris

(oops, forgot to say any of the Manhattan zones are fine - and I've followed the suggested bidding zone order).

Chris,

I think it may be just the length of stay and the fact that October/Nov/Dec are very busy with shoppers and visitors. You miss the Marathon which takes place the weekend before you arrive but the Radio City Christmas show will have started and the Christmas decorations and trees will be going up.

I don't know if you are aware but you can bid on the Priceline.com site (use Savingsbarn link). This gives credit to this board, which I am sure you will find is very valuable.

IS it just one double room you are looking for? Do you have a back-up reservation?

I think I might look around for a back up that I could cancel and keep trying till nearer the date of travel and if nothing acceptable then try New Jersey or split my bid.

Good luck

Hi - thanks for the response.

I do have a booking which is cancellable at 24 hours notice, so it's not desperate !

I know November/December can be a pain, but I did end up with a very good deal last year at the 70 Park Avenue hotel which was fantastic (US$140 per night).

I wasn't aware I could use the .com site - in the past I've had real problems entering my Credit Card details as my address is UK format, not US format. I'll give it another go to try and give betterbidding some credit as they certainly deserve it :-)

Chris

Hi Chris,

Did you get 70 Park Avenue through Priceline or some other website?

I think the key thing is when you input your address on the .com site put in a fake ZIP. They never contact you by mail, only email.

There is a post that explains what you need to do for Canadians but they can now input their own details but same goes for British.

I know I have never had a problem and I am UK based.

I am looking for dates in Mid October and late November but not quite ready to start bidding so just watching to see what is happening at the moment. I know the rates conventionally for both my time slots are pretty high for a 4* and I will need 2 rooms as the kids are coming and they are bigger than myself. Hotwire are shoeing very high rates probably as I am way too early but will keep an eye out to see how it goes for others.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]