Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental The Barclay

Tommy135
By Tommy135,
in

Got Intercontinental - The Barclay from 4/23-30/4 for 145 per night.

Was stated on Hotwire as customer favourite with restaurant, fitness center, tennis nearby and Business center. Before booking i checked the hotel list and thought it would be the intercontinental, which it finally turned out to be.

Tried Priceline before, split the stay and bid up to 120. Now I won't have to change the hotel during the stay and for the length of the stay the price seems more than good to me.

Hi,

my sister and I am traveling to New York from 4/23 till 30/4 to celebrate her Birthday there. We got Intercontinental-The Barclay via Hotwire.

Do you think it would be smart to ask the hotel in advance for a non smoking room with two beds via email. I already joined their priority club. So i could state my mebershipnumber in the mail or would it be best to ask at check in?

I have never had any problems caused by asking early for a special request and where there is availability and rooms with two beds are not charged at a higher rate then there is usually no problem. You may need to remind them nearer the time and check in as the hotel may not have your details yet. The worst they can say is no or yes if you pay extra. You may want to mention the birthday.

It is a very nice hotel and good location in my view.

Thanks for the fast answer.

So you would just write them, that we are there for the birthday and ask if they have a 2 bed room available?

So the brithday might actually help us?

I already read about the in advance tip, but i am not sure about it in a hotel which rates are normally 300 per night to ask for a better room for 20 or 50 $ for a stay of 7 nights.

Tommy,

I would just put in your request and give them details of your Priority Club Number mentioning your reason for the trip and that you have heard great things about the hotel. At check in I would ask if they have managed to give you the room you requested. If they say no, I would ask if this is possible and if they say that it would cost more you can then decide what to do. It may be that your 7 night stay may make it more difficult to give you complimentary upgrade but often it depends on who checks you in and what is available when you check in.

To be honest I feel a bit wary about tipping check in staff and it has never been policy for me to do this and the one time I did try flashing a $20 it did not work. A smile and positive comments go a long way in my view.

I might make mention of the birthday saying that you will email the concierge about giving you some ideas on how to celebrate your sisters birthday.

Have a great time.

Blueskies

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]