Priceline Hotel: Washington DC 8/20 - 8/23/18 2 rooms with pool

chris20
By chris20,
in

For our last stay at your trip through eastern USA we need two rooms in Washington DC from 08/20 - 08/23/2018 (3 nights). As we (my wife and me) are traveling with our kids (12+9 years) a pool would be great for them. It`s our first trip to Washington DC so not sure what zones are the best. We want to do the normal tourist things (National Mall, Museums). I searched in the zones Capitol Hill, Convention Center, Downtown, White House, Dupunt Circle/Woodly, Georgetown-Foggy Bottom. Did I forgot some zones? We want to be near the attractions to do them by walking or only a short metro ride.

My results are the following (prices always without discount):

Capitol Hill, 4*, 102 $ (=776 $ with taxes for 2 rooms and 3 nites), 8+rating

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Fitness Center

No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

My guess would be the Hyatt Regency Capital Hill. The reviews are okay, but at priceline at the bed choice the price would be for a double bed. I can`t believe a 4-Star-Hotel will have just a single double for 2 people. On the hotel fact sheet no single doubles are mentioned. A double bed would be a bit small, although we are slim persons. Also in the reviews there was mentioned a homeless shelter nearby and not so many food options. But I think this will be not a big problem.

Dupont-Woodley Park 3,5*, 84 $ (=637 $ with taxes), 8+ rating (this hotel doesn`t show up at the bidding helper, but at priceline direct)

Free Internet

Business Center

Fitness Center

Non Smoking

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Swimming Pool

My guess would be the Marriot at Wardman Park, which gets mixed reviews. Also it`s the question, if the property is a bit far away from the sights. My sister has been to the Omni Shoreham years ago and mentioned, that ther was not much around the hotel.

The other options have a much higher price, e.g. a 5* in Georgetown for 137$ (=1.006 $ with taxes (the hotel was 973$ two hours earlier)), which seems to be the Watergate Hotel. I don`t know, if the hotel is worth the difference of 200 or 300 $.

I will book the Capitol Skyline Hotel as backup for 702$ (with taxes) just for the case, that the prices will go up.

Which hotel would you recommend, esp. for the location of the hotel. Maybe you have another hint.

Thank you very much for your help,

Christian

Best guess/comments:

4* Capitol Hill (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $102/nite with:
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
==> agree that this is most likely the Hyatt Regency Washington D.C. On Capitol Hill.  I too don't see any rooms offered at this hotel with only one double bed (all rooms look to be King or 2 Doubles) but it's always possible that they have a few rooms with only one double bed that they sell thru 3rd party distributors).  To not have any issues you could simply purchase the King bed option for $112/nite.

Dupont is not necessarily in the 'heart' of the city, but it is a very nice residential area with a lot of restaurants, cafes, bars, etc. that serve the local community.  It's not walkable to the attractions, but does provide easy access using the metro (and your kids may even like the train ride... especially if it's not something they are exposed to at home).

Other areas/hotels:

4* Convention Center - US Capitol North (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $127/nite with:
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
==> best guess would be the Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel which is (according to Google maps) a 16 minute walk to the White House.

What about:

4* Downtown - White House (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $136/nite with:
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
==> the Club Quarters Hotel in Washington DC would be my best guess here which would put you just a couple of blocks from the White House

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Keep us updated on your progress or let us know how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you very much for your help. I have to discuss with the children if we really need a pool as many affordable hotels don`t have one.

The offer for the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill disappeared, so that the  Dupont-Woodley Park 3,5* for 84$ is the only interesting deal with pool. This seems to be the   Marriot at Wardman Park which get`s mixed reviews. The location would be okay for us after your helpful explanation about Dupont.

We will see what`s coming up. Have booked the Capitol Skyline Hotel as backup for now about 660 $ (incl. taxes) for 3 nites/2 rooms. The hotel location near the Nationals Stadium seems to be not the best as I understand the reviews. But it seems to be close to the Capitol an the National Mall.

Best regards, Christian

Let us know once you decide if a pool is a need vs. a want and we'll take it from there.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hard to say. The children want a pool so that is our first option. But if a hotel with pool is e.g. 200 $ more expensive than an comparable hotel without pooI I wouldn`t invest the money.

Now I found a really good offer for Hyatt House Washington/DC/The Wharf (774 $ inkl. taxes).

While the Hyatt House may have a pool, it may not really that convenient, imo.

If you look at THIS MAP it shows your commute from the hotel to the White House... your shortest route is 24 minutes and via the bus (ie- not that interesting compared to the metro, assuming you don't have a train/subway system in your own home town) and taking the metro is 25 minutes and involves 3 different train lines.

However, you know your family's needs better than we do.

Keep us updated as to what you decide or if we can be of further help.

I have kids about the same age as yours who are (for the most part :wink:) generally well behaved and fairly well traveled... they know not to run up and down the halls in a hotel, we remind them to speak softly in the room as we have neighbors, etc, etc.  I'm not sure what you would necessarily want from a 'family' oriented hotel  that would be lacking from a 'business' hotel but this property may be more family oriented than you think (i don't have any firsthand knowledge of the property) as it's close to the zoo and not in the heart of downtown (not to mention that current rates for your dates don't appear to be high, so there may be little business/government events/meetings taking place in the city over these dates). 

The Hyatt House is new, but the location of the Marriott would be better (imo) as you're right by the Red line which would be a direct trip (no transfers) to the White House, Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, etc)

Let us know what you ultimately decide.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]