DCGUY9
By DCGUY9,
in

Hello,

We need a 4* hotel in Chicago that meet the following criteria:

December 20-24 (3 nights)

Millenium Park/Loop/Grant Park or North Michigan Ave/River North areas

2 questions:

1. Is one area better than the other for a "downtown location" (shopping restaurants etc...)?

2. Could you please tell me your bidding strategy?

I already bid $45 but will promise to be incredible patient as it is 10 months away!

Thank you so much in advance.

Regarding the 2 previous posts:

We ended up not being able to go to Chicago and We stayed at the Park Central for $120 a night. Sorry I didn't follow up however, a few times I made seperate posts regarding my winning bids.

1 last question:

Is it possible that the Sofitel is a 4* hotel in Hotwire North Michigan/Water Tower/Gold Coast? It's listed on the better bidding list as a 4.5* but indicates many changes.

As far as your original two questions:

1) Milennium Park/Loop/Grant Park is a better district for the big museums, the big park on the lake, and Soldier Field sports/concerts. North Michigan/Water Tower/Gold Coast is better for shopping and somewhat better for restaurants. If weather is good, it's a nice walk between the two zones. Your stay is in December so weather probably won't be good.

2) YOUR strategy is what's important. We need to know more about your goals. Which zone(s) work for you? What's your maximum bid amount? Backup plan? Minimum quality level?

For your new question, if you're looking at a particular offer on hotwire, we need the * level, price, and the list of what amenity icons are shown before we can hazard a guess as to the property.

Hello and thanks for the quick responses. I would like a minimum 4* in a downtown area with lots of shopping and restaurants. So...

On hotwire I can get:

4*, North Michigan/Water Tower/Gold Coast with restaurant, fitness and business center. When I click on it it says that tripadvisor gives it a 3 out of 5 star rating so it's definitely not the Sofitel. :) Any other ideas? It costs $71 a night plus taxes.

Priceline: What is the best area to pick, based on my preferences? I guess the only 3 choices would be Greater Chicago, Millenium Park or North Michigan.

I don't have a backup plan yet as we have a lot of time. One last thing: Is there a way to get the Orrington Hotel in Evanston through PL or HW?

Thanks again...

According to the hotwire hotel list here, that would be a likely but not definite match for the Millennium Knickerbocker, which is currently 3 bubble rated on tripadvisor. Does that work for you?

If it is the Knickerbocker, it's located at the far north end of Michigan Avenue, making it ideally positioned for shopping and in an ok location for restaurants. It's also two blocks from the John Hancock Building.

If that doesn't work for you, what do you want to do? Is it too early for you to lock in something non-refundable/non-changeable?

Hey thanks a lot. I would like to do better than the Knickerbocker Millenium. I booked the Swissotel for $119 a night as a backup. That seems like a pretty good deal but I think we could do better!!??

However,

If I did find a geat bargain I would definitely book it now (non-refundable etc...)

That's pretty fantastic.

If you tried to bid on priceline you'd have a good to great chance of getting the Knickerbocker anyway, though you might be able to get a lowball price.

It sounds like you're looking for a certain quality level that PL and HW can't guarantee you right now.

If I were you, I'd hold on to that Swissotel reservation and watch from the sidelines. Check Hotwire periodically to see if something else pops up that's not the Knick.

Good on you for finding that rate.

Regarding the 2 previous posts:

We ended up not being able to go to Chicago and We stayed at the Park Central for $120 a night. Sorry I didn't follow up however, a few times I made seperate posts regarding my winning bids.

1 last question:

Is it possible that the Sofitel is a 4* hotel in Hotwire North Michigan/Water Tower/Gold Coast? It's listed on the better bidding list as a 4.5* but indicates many changes.

Can you please add the follow-ups to the actual threads involved... readers of those threads will not know to look in this one to see if your plans were cancelled or what you ultimately did.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]