Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Phoenix (Tempe-ASU) Hawthorn Suites

dc3
By dc3,
in

I needed one night after a late arrival. PL turned up nothing. Hotwire had this one in Tempe and it said that it is 5 miles from the airport (may be a bit more) - no deals in the airport district. Hawthorn's best web price is $120 for this date. This is part of the Hyatt group and is a suite with breakfast and free parking and lots of other stuff. Reviews at tripadvisor are generally positive though it's in an odd neighborhood by itself. And it's only for one night. The best thing about Hotwire for me is that they accept Canadian addreses.

Okay - first of all - it says on the listing you get intially "Area details: Well-known for professional and college sports, plus golf and shopping. 5 miles to Sky Harbor Airport, 10 miles to downtown Phoenix" The distance from the airport according to Mapquest is 10.24 miles. Seems like HW is bullshi...ing on this by a factor 2. On the other hand, the driving time is only 15 minutes. I chose the place by the distance from the airport. If this is a fabrication, HW better smarten up and tell the truth. I'd like to give them what for.

Okay - so it came up again in my effor to do full reporting (this time for $66) Here are the amenities on Hotwire

Complimentary Breakfast

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

Pool(s)

Property offers at least one pool area; hours and dates of operation may be seasonal.

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Kitchenette

Accommodations include a stovetop or microwave oven, a sink and a mini-refrigerator.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

Laundry Facilities

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

2301 E. Southern Avenue (3 diamonds in the AAA book!) A review at an unnamed web site devoted to PL bidding complains that this place is "on border of Tempe and Mesa right on HWY 101 so VERY noisy location. Rooms on freeway and main road sides had to have AC fans running to drown out car and bus noise to sleep, bus stop right outside my window (rm 101). Lousy freeway access for being so close to fwy, with crazy off-ramp design."

It's only one night and it is part of the Hyatt chain....

Just because it is part of Hyatt don't make it a great place to stay. Most of these 2.5* places that Hyatt is buying up are dumps! Don't get me wrong as I am Hyatt Diamond and love the chain but most of these places get ripped in there reviews. This place looks nice from the outside,and the area is just ok. I think it will be ok for a one night stay but its a little more then a hop and a skip from the airport.

Can somebody please tell me which zone this is in?

I see a Hawthorne in the (Chandler-South Tempe) zone but when i seek that area on Hotwire for the above dates i don't see anything with the above amenities.

dc3... on Hotwire what area does it say next to the star rating

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I can't see an "edit" button so I am repyling to myself. I complained to HW about the distance from the airport. They contacted the hotel and confirmed that the hotel is twice as far from the airport as listed. They gave me a $25 credit for a future booking. But they left the description as it was.

• 1 month later...

I've now been at this one. The place lives up to the facilities description but it feels run-down. The blankets were dirty and when we complained they gave us some with holes. They also had a problem with the reservation. I asked for a quiet room so they gave me one next to the off-ramp of a freeway where tricks use engine brakes. I was glad to leave but others were spending their vacation there and liked it. Breakfast was fine.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]