Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on Hudson

Phaelon56
By Phaelon56,
in

This was a bid for lodging as part of a last minute business trip. Retroactively posting here - I recall there being only one rebid opportunity if I wanted this zone at 3* so I started a bit high and got it on the first try.

This is the second time I've stayed here on a Priceline win. On my first visit the staff at the desk treated me with an attitude about like I was just a notch above a street person looking for a free room. This time they were cordial and friendly but did not budge when I asked for a king instead of two full beds in the room.

I assume this is standard policy. Not a problem - nice enough room anyway and had a decent view of lower Manhattan.

I have stayed here three times, thanks to the advice found in this message board. :) I signed up with Hyatt's gold rewards program and always present it with a credit card for incidentals like HiSpeed Internet and the nasty $31 parking charge. All three times, I asked for and received a non smoking room with two doubles. I'm not sure if your experience was due to your room preference being unavailable or it was the attitude of the front desk staff, but I am a card carrying member of just about every hotel reward program, even Choice Hotels, in case I need to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a hotel room. I always present my membership card and rarely do not get my room preference.

At that particular Hyatt try asking for a non-smoking room with one King bed and I think they'll stilll offer you a room with double beds.

Two things worth mentioning about that Hyatt:

1) Check the available wireless access points and try the one labeled "nnu" which is not the primary Hyatt access point. It's an alternate access method offered under contract with them and IIRC it charges $3.50 for the first 20 minutes and then 15 cents per minute thereafter. If all you're doing is a quick email check and such it's way cheaper than paying the $9.95 per 24 hours. It bills you directly through an https connection - no credit charge to the room.

2) I always self- park and walk the block to the hotel. There's a garage that's a few hundred feet closer than the Hyatt "official" garage and they charge only $22 per 24 hours of parking. But it's $10 for anything up to two hours with no in-out privileges thus only good when you plan to park the car and leave it

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]