Hotwire Hotel: PLEASE HELP ID - 4* MTE & MTC

tenerifesharon
By tenerifesharon,
in

With all the extremely cheap (for NYC) prices coming in for the 3* Paramount on both Hotwire and Priceline, it makes me wonder if there is going to be some major building work (noise??) coming up in the forthcoming changeover to Hard Rock. Almost like what was happening a year ago in San Diego for the US Grant (I'm not complaining -- we were "walked" to great alternatives, Westin & Holiday Inn on the Bay).

Does anybody have a clue?

Friends of mine (older couple, 2 people) are looking for a 3 or 4 star (Times Square central MTW or MTE) from May 8 - 16. Any suggestions as to bidding (they would go along with splitting the stay if necessary). I'm from NYC originally, but am at a loss to advise them considering that the present prices in NY are "out of sight".

The Paramount is a great Hotwire deal at $107, but will they survive 8 nights there?? They would be willing to go up to about $200 per night. What would be a good backup?

Thanks for any help.

Please feel free to move this to the NY general category if more appropriate.

Have you spoken to the couple and goten their thoughts?

Explain to them the situation (great price for a great room, although extremely small, and the hotel is being converted so there may be construction during the day.

I'm sure some people would say "sure, for $100 i'll deal with it" while others would say "not at any price". I would get their feedback before and let them make the decision.... then either take the Hotwire offer or look elsewhere.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have stayed at the Paramount twice in the past four years, the last time a year ago. Some of the rooms are micro small - and the others are very small. You will be bumping into each other.

That being said, the location is great. If you're just there to sleep, it's a decent bargain. Staying there for eight days in such a small room may get to them.

I am looking to help friends book for May 8 - 16 and they are a little hesitant about the Paramount in terms of size and possible noise (now showing up at Hotwire for $121 - up from $107 last week). BTW, I called the Paramount last week and was told there are no construction changes being planned for the immediate future (after being changed over to the Hard Rock). When I replied that May is not the "immediate future", the reply was, no changes planned at the moment. That can mean anything.

Please help identify:

4* MTE - $267 - Customer Favorite - Restaurant, Fitness, Spa, Business Center.

4* MTC - $252 - Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business Center.

My hunch is that the 4* MTE is the LeParker Meridien because of the Spa Icon, am not sure about the MTC.

Thanks for your help.

The MTE property looks like the Swissotel The Drake.

Best guess on the MTC property is the Sofitel or Sheraton New York. Both are in the MTC zone, and the amenities match what is currenlty 'known' for the Sofitel. The Sheraton has previously been seen with the amenity icon combination above, but as of last report did not have the Hi-Speed Internet icon (not an amenity that would likely suddenly disappear at a property), so it is possible that this property is once again showing the internet icon, but can't be certain until somebody reports it as such.

Either way, while the Paramount may have very small rooms, i (personally) would go with that for ~$100 before spending $250 on a room (but i know others may feel differently).

EDIT TO ADD: the prices above seemed to high so i took another look. A much better bet than either of the above is the Affinia Dumont which has a Petite Suite for $182/nite (please have you or your friends use previous link if they do book)... Reviews are good too.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks thereuare,

We're going to try bidding tomorrow (since I'm going to be doing it for them, I'll of course go by way of savingsbarn.com). If we don't get the hoped for results, I'll bother you again for a strategy.

Checked out the easyclicktravel - off therecord - link for Affinia Dumont, but it turned up a price of $316. per night for their dates in May. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for all your help.

P.S. The friends are travelling to NYC from Tenerife and since they're going to lots of expense - with flights - for little more than a one-week trip, it doesn't make much sense for them to be unhappy in a small, loud(?) room (Paramount??) for their entire vacation. (I, on the other hand, am a devotee of Betterbidding - therefore of hotwire and priceline - as well as x and Flyertalk, and would therefore be more than prepared to be somewhat inconvenienced to save about $1000!!)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep things up to date -- I had to go to Germany for 2 weeks and so the friends on Tenerife are waiting to do their bidding or buying for May. Will post as soon as we get a hotel for them (or need a bidding strategy).

Saw that the 4 * MTE (Swissotel Drake) is now up to $287 on Hotwire. Is there no end to increases??

• 3 weeks later...

Update - After several priceline bidding sessions up to $190 for MTW, MTE, CPS with free rebids of UWS, UES (and not even a counter-offer), I finally booked the NY Helmsley (May 8 - 16) for my friends. (They're happy to have it locked in, and I'm off the hook in case they had gotten something they really didn't like :) .) I had to book through an e- mail offer from eBookers (to get the good rate) which led me to octopustravel. The final price for 8 nights was

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]