Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) The Lexington New York City

la globetrotteuse
By la globetrotteuse,
in

Hey all! I'm looking for a hotel for my final night in New York.  I'm basically just looking for a good price so any area is fine by me.  1 night's stay 9th May - 10th May for one person.  Free internet would be great. Apart from that i'm not really fussed, but somewhere that would allow or give a late check out option would be fab cos I my flight leaves late evening on the 10th of May.

I've had a look on hotwire and have found what looks like three potentially great deals.  I'd love to check hotwire against standard prices so would be grateful if you could give me an idea of which hotels you think they are...First up:

1)Times Square North area hotel - $134

Complimentary

Free Internet

Amenities

Business centerFitness centerPet friendlyRestaurant(s)

Accessibility

Accessible for visually impairedAccessible for hearing impairedAccessible path of travel

2) Mideast area - new to hotwire - $110

Amenities

Boutique Hotel

Business center

Fitness center

Internet access

Restaurant

Accessibility 

Accessible for visually impaired

Accessible for hearing impaired

Accessible path of travel

in room accessibility

3) Times Square -south area hotel - $90

Complimentary free breakfast

Amenities - Smoke free rooms

The first two look interesting because the savings are so substantial, the first one especially because internet is free. Just not sure if it's worth the extra $24... Thanks for your help

Have you made any decision for the FIRST NITE OF YOUR TRIP?  Please post an update to that thread with any decision or your current thoughts for that nite.

For the HOTWIRE offers above, I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you search using the EASY VIEW TAB of our BiddingHelper.com tool.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to each of these listings, do you see more amenities (including any accessible amenities) then what you have listed above?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK here we go, changes are in italics, there isn't a huge difference in amenities:

14 hours ago, la globetrotteuse said:

2) Mideast area - new to hotwire - $110

Amenities

Boutique Hotel

Business center

Fitness center

Internet access

Restaurant

Accessibility 

Accessible for visually impaired

Accessible for hearing impaired

Accessible path of travel

in room accessibility

Accessible bathroom and roll in shower - to add to amenities above

1)Times Square North area hotel - $134 (now $124 price has gone down)

Complimentary

Free Internet (Now internet access, maybe not free anymore?)

Amenities

Business centerFitness centerPet friendlyRestaurant(s)

(No mention of accessibility anymore)

3) Times Square -south area hotel - $90 ($88 on bidding helper)

Complimentary free breakfast

Amenities - Smoke free rooms

6 hours ago, thereuare said:

Have you made any decision for the FIRST NITE OF YOUR TRIP?  Please post an update to that thread with any decision or your current thoughts for that nite.

2x

... then reply here and we'll have a look at the offers above.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Of course you have two 'open' threads, but there at least needs to be an update/response to the most recent information based upon the research that has been done on your behalf.  It can often take a considerable amount of time to research hotels, to this helps to make sure that users are ready to purchase the hotel(s) that they ask about, as well as keeping the board better organized and more useful for everyone (otherwise we have found that many threads will never be updated with results/decisions even long after the stay has come and gone)

If this was the stay that you needed to take care of first (before being able to commit to the first nite of your trip) then we should complete this nite first before researching any properties for any other nites... as the hotels currently available for the first nite of your trip may not be the same ones offered once you're ready to commit to that nite, and we then have to start researching hotels from the beginning once again. 

All of the above helps save time by not researching hotels which are not ready for immediate purchase, which in turn helps us respond to everyone in a timely manner.

Using the EASY VIEW tab at BiddingHelper.com this is what i'm currently seeing at the 4* level in the zone(s) above:

4* $131/nite (but this hotel also has a $28/nite resort fee... would this still be within your budget):

Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

==> Crowne Plaza Times Square

4* $110 Midtown East

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower

==> The Lexington New York City

Times Square South

==> i'm not seeing any Times Square South property priced anywhere near $100 or less (a 2* at $106/nite then prices start at $148/nite)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

My apologies. I'm new to the site and it never occurred to me that anyone would use the services and not update once the reservation has been confirmed, hence the reason why I chose to wait, as it was undecided. But it sounds from what you've said that this does happen quite often.  I did however state

On 4/18/2016 at 10:59 AM, la globetrotteuse said:

" I haven't made a decision yet about the first night.  I'm not really happy with the prices I'm seeing so I'm still looking, but I won't forget to update the thread and use the links to book."

Once I'd written that I thought that was update enough? But I think I understand, it's like you're searching twice rather than focusing on one reservation at a time? Is that it?  I'm definitely ready to make a booking, just at the right price. I want to concentrate on this night first for reasons mentioned above, once I secure that, I'll move back to researching the first night which is proving to be a bit more difficult, but as I said and did following my first post.  I will not forget to update as things progress and once I'm about to secure the booking.  Thanks for filling me in though and explaining the process.

I wasn't aware of the resort fee with crowne.  i'm going to have a look at the reviews and report back...

Thanks

1 hour ago, la globetrotteuse said:

it never occurred to me that anyone would use the services and not update once the reservation has been confirmed

It happens more often than we'd like.  Sometimes people just get the information they want, make their purchase, and then don't return to the board until the next time they need help... other times i'm sure it's unintentional and they get tied up doing something else after their purchase and then forget to return to the board to conclude their tread (and we understand that... as i have a bunch of stuff around my apartment that i promised my wife i would get rid of weeks ago and haven't gotten around to it yet :wink:)

1 hour ago, la globetrotteuse said:

Once I'd written that I thought that was update enough?

The above was posted in this thread... would have been fine if posted in the other thread, as nobody reading the other thread would know to look here to learn that you're still thinking about it (otherwise they may think you have made your purchase but didn't follow-up the thread with your results...they would have no way to know to look here to learn the 'status' of that purchase)

Really not a big deal, but just part of the housekeeping we do to keep the board operating as efficiently the information as easily accessible as possible.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

O.K. got it.  I didn't before but I understand. I just don't think anyone would be reading my threads tbh! lol. I just think I underestimated what a task it was to find accommodation in NYC.  I'd love to have this locked up by the weekend, but...yeah...we'll see. 

Slightly unrelated, not sure what the protocol is about posting unrelated topics but someone posted a review about the Crowne Plaza saying they have bitten by bed bugs! Is this as common as the media/internet lead you to believe? I feel like sleeping on the concrete floor at the moment! :sad:

Bed bug situations do happen (at both high end and low end hotels, as well as places like offices, movie theaters and elsewhere), although the majority of travelers will not encounter them. There are tips online as to how to check the room upon arrival, but I would not let the potential of an incident with bed bugs cause too much concern/anxiety going into the trip. 

Not sure how recently the incident you read about occurred, but bed bugs were a HUGE problem in NYC about 5 years ago... but much less so recently.

While i'm sure there are incidents that do occur, i also think that many of the reported cases on the internet are false... could be mosquito bites, competitor looking to defame another hotel's reputation, previous guest who didn't enjoy their stay or had an issue with the hotel, or simply somebody looking for a free room their next trip to the area.

If you read a problem here or a problem there i wouldn't be concerned... what you're really looking for are trends to see if there are recurring issues that have not been addressed (and silent management that is not being proactive).

Lastly, it is one of the reasons i prefer higher rated hotels and/or corporate branded properties... they usually have systems in place to quickly address any problems (be it bed bugs or otherwise), whereas a lower rated property  may not have the money or know-how needed to fix the problem.

HOTWIRE's site is down for maintenance at the moment (not sure when they started but it has been for at least the last hour) but the EASY VIEW TAB of the BiddingHelper.com is working, showing this 4* MTE property for $110/nite, and is letting me get to the check-out page... the order may go thru using the EASY VIEW tab, but if not, then it is likely an issue with HOTWIRE's site being down and you'll need to wait until they finish whatever updates they are making to their site.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Okey dokey all done! You guys are good! Lexington it is! I've reported my win.  One down, one to go :)

Amenities: Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower.

Thanks

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you were able to get a great deal for this nite and that you received the hotel you were hoping for.

You're also near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy this nite of your trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]