2.5* and above hotel in NYC

la globetrotteuse
By la globetrotteuse,
in

Hi folks!

I'm looking for a hotel stay for one night in New York City.  I'll be arriving late from the U.K. so will probably be jetlagged and tired and just need a good sleep so I have no preference for area.  I'd like to keep the budget low however as I have a different hotel booked for the following day which was slightly over budget.  But the question is how low can I go? I'd like free internet and breakfast which I guess will affect the price, but the breakfast isn't a must.  I'm wondering if a hotel in or close to JFK airport might be my best bet then I can check out the following day and head into the city.

To confirm it's one night for one person on the 6th May to the 7th May, where late check in will not be a problem. I managed to find a 3* hotel on priceline in the JFK area with the following amentities

Business Center

Airport Shuttle

Free Internet

Free Breakfast

Fitness Center

at $115 approx. Any idea which hotel it may be? No bidding needed. Ideally I wouldn't want to pay higher than that? Taxes and fees included Is this possible?

Thanks for your help

I'm not currently seeing the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer above when searching for your dates... are you still seeing this one on your own search?

Staying by JFK isn't a bad idea if it will save you money, but note that most of the hotels in this are area not that great (they're older, and like many airport hotels, are overused with one nite stays)... not to mention that they aren't that cheap.

If you want to stay in Manhattan, we would start lower, but you'll likely be able to get something in the $110-$140 area... so it comes down to:
1) how much would you save by staying at JFK

2) how much it's worth to you to be in Manhattan when you wake up in the morning and being able to start your trip, as opposed to first having to commute to the city (which always takes a little longer than expected by the time you shuttle back to the airport, take the train, etc)

NOTE: the cheapest way from JFK to Manhattan is via subway ($2.75) but it is loooong trip (and makes a few stops that are not in the best of neighborhoods... certainly not a route to take if you're traveling at nite and/or in the wee hours of the morning)... better option is the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) which costs about $10-$15 (depending upon peak/off-peak) and it about a 20 minute trip.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts on the information above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You could get a 4* hotel in the Downtown zone, although i would recommend including all acceptable zones in case there is anything priced lower in a different zone that is also acceptable.  You're not likely going to save much (in terms of dollars) by trying for a 2.5* property.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed for this nite.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry for the local vernacular... both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE are constantly changing the names of zones, this one included.

In NYC 'downtown' is the Wall St-Financial area... PRICELINE currently calls it 'Downtown-Wall St' while HOTWIRE calls it 'World Trade Center - Wall St.'

It's in NJ and it won't be (imo) worth the hassle to get there from JFK for just one nite...

You would need to get to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan (42nd St and Eighth Ave)... then take the bus to Secaucus (and if you're arriving at JFK late, you'll be at the Port Authority bus terminal even later, and bus service to Secaucus will get very spotty after midnite (and possibly no service at all after 2am))

PS- make sure you see my breakfast recommendation in reply to your Lexington hotel win

It's in NJ and it won't be (imo) worth the hassle to get there from JFK for just one nite...

You would need to get to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan (42nd St and Eighth Ave)... then take the bus to Secaucus (and if you're arriving at JFK late, you'll be at the Port Authority bus terminal even later, and bus service to Secaucus will get very spotty after midnite (and possibly no service at all after 2am))

PS- make sure you see my breakfast recommendation in reply to your Lexington hotel win

Hey 

Just updating.  It looks like I may be able to stay with a friend for this night,in Brooklyn? So I'm going to push for that and forget the hotel thing.  Prices are too high for my budget and I'm sick of checking daily! :sad:  Thanks for all your hard work and research and for helping me book my other three nights, you can close this thread now I've made my decision

Thanks again

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]