Hotwire Hotel: 2* Mt. Pocono - Tannersville Area $71

CoupKween
By CoupKween,
in

Hey everyone,

I'm a Priceline virgin here and looking to try and save some money for a wedding I am attending.

The group rate at hotel in $89 + taxes and fees at the Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area (1779 North 9th Street, Bartonsville, PA 18321). I am trying to make the whole experience a bit more affordable.

I am looking for a 1 night stay from 9/25/15-9/26/15 for 2 adults. Ideally, I would like to be as close as possible to the HJ (if not at the HJ) since it would be easier to grab the bus that is shuttling people from there to the venue. The area is rather large and I was hoping to find something close by as I don't have a car and may have to walk from the HJ to whatever hotel I find.

Looking at Priceline I cam across 2 options:

1. Name Your Own Price-Does anyone have any advice on this? The only hotel listed as the 2* in the area on this site is the Howard Johnson. However, the only amenities they offer on the site is a pool which doesn't really help very much. A restaurant is also not listed and the HJ has a restaurant, so I am skeptical that it would be that. 

2. Express Deals-The rate is $54/night which is awesome, but when I search for 2 stars with the amenities (even though I am pretty certain the HJ has all that is listed but disappears under these filters), 3 hotels pretty far north of my ideal location appear. I lean toward this being the Hotel M Mount Pocono because it has the amenities, and is in the area. Also, the deal advertises save 22% or more. Looking at the original cost of the hotels on Priceline, it seems that this is around 22% that list price. I am leaning away from this option, but wanted to post it in case I have made some incorrect assumptions since I am new to this.

If you have any information or advice that could help me, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The issue with bidding is that you have to be willing to accept any hotel at the star rating in the zone picked. Beyond that though, with the list that is maintained here, that is a list that only provides what has been reported to the board - new hotels are reported almost every day. When you have a smaller zone like this that doesn't have a lot of activity on the board, there is a definite chance that could be other potential hotels and possibly multiple potential additional hotels.

When I search for these dates, I'm seeing a 2* in Tannersville-Bartonsville w/Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Free Breakfast, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center for $54, w/22% discount. Are you seeing these amenities as well? If so, this listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board, but the Days Inn would be a guess. 

How far is an acceptable distance from the Hojo?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Hey everyone,

So I started with Price.line and posted about my search in that forum and then moved on to Hot.wire to see if I have any better luck. I have a wedding in the area that provides a rate of $89 plus taxes and fees at the Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area. I am trying to beat that deal to save a little money. I am looking for something close by since I don't have a car and will likely have to use the shuttle back to the HJ.

2* hotel for $71 with the original price being $109, 85% recommended (21 total reviews)

Amenities: Business Center, Free Parking, Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, Indoor Pool(s), Self-Service Laundry, Free Internet, Pool(s)

A) I think that this could actually be the Howard Johnson as it is listed in the 2-star collection on this, and has all these amenities. In addition, when you click over to the hotels tab on the Hotwire site (instead of the Hot Rate Hotels tab), the price of the Howard Johnson is listed at $109, and 78% of guests recommend it (538 Hotwire verified reviews). However, on Expedia, I have to include 3 star options or else the Howard Johnson does not appear. It is also considered a 2.5 star on TripAdvisor and the Hotwire "non Hot Rate Hotels" searches.

B) It could also be the Baymont Inn which isn't too far away from the Howard Johnson but it's price was listed at $107, and 47% (15 Hotwire verified reviews). It also is not listed in the 2 star collection for this deal. (It is, however, listed in the 2-star selection for the another separate deal 2 star deal listed for $70  [$107 originally], but this listing doesn't have a restaurant as an amenity). The much lower positive reviews lead me to believe that the Howard Johnson is more likely. Baymont Inn also only has "dry cleaning/laundry service" with no self-service laundry listed on Expedia and the "non Hot Rate Hotels" Hotwire site. Howard Johnson has "laundry facilities" and "dry cleaning/laundry services." On TripAdvisor, however, Baymont has both.

C) The restaurant and indoor pool seem to allow me to narrow this down quite a bit. The 2nd and 3rd options below are listed in the Hotwire Hotel Lists on this site.

-Hotel M Mount Pocono has an indoor pool, but no restaurant.

-Days Inn has a restaurant, but only an outdoor seasonal pool.

-Mount Pocono Motel has a restaurant, but the pool is outdoors and heated. (and it's a motel so it shouldn't be although I read the thread from awhile back about this)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if you see a possibility that I may have missed!

Please keep all posts for this stay within this thread - thanks. Once you make a decision on hotel we can move the thread to the appropriate forum.

With Hot.wire, the "retail price" is not the price of the underlying hotel but an average of comparable hotels for your dates, so unfortunately it is not a reliable indicator as to which hotel this may be. Also, star ratings often vary from service-to-service.

Unfortunately, this listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board.

However, when I search for 2 adults and 2 children,  I see a 2* in this zone for $60 w/Restaurant, Pool, Complimentary Breakfast, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Free Parking. 

This would be a possible match for the Days Inn Tannersville.

How far is an acceptable distance from the Hojo/how far does the shuttle go?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

I agree with you in that the $60 is probably the Days Inn in Tannersville. It's not that far from the venue but certainly not walking distance. The shuttle takes from the venue to the HoJo not making any other stops.

Since I won't have a car, that would make it difficult. Plus, when I google the Days Inn, more than a few results come up for bedbugs which creeps me out.

I know I am going to have to make the decision or whether to risk the other booking hoping it would be at the HoJo. I will update you if I do change, but to be honest with the comfort level I'm at now I will probably just go with the wedding rate since its only about a $13 difference. 

I'm seeing the Knights Inn for $68 on sale on Expe.dia, which appears to be just up the road from the Hojo in question, but reviews are not very good. No bed bug mentions (at least that I read, I didn't read all the reviews in detail), but a lot of complaints that the property isn't well maintained. I thought about perhaps bidding, but the Hojo is a 2*, which throws it in with a number of other possibilities like the Days Inn Tannersville.

Thank you for keeping us updated on what you decide and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

When I called the HoJo, they told me that the wedding rate would be $98.07 with taxes and fees. The 2* Hotwire is $85.39 after taxes and fees. When I figured out that the difference between the two was only just shy of $13 (I thought the fees wouldn't be so different), I began leaning toward just using the wedding rate because if it's not the HoJo or Baymont, the savings may not be worth the hassle. I have until Sept 1st to use the wedding rate, so I am going to think it over and keep an eye out on sites like Kayak.

Maybe if I'm really lucky, someone will use the forum for the same listing! It's unlikely, but I'll be optimistic!

Thanks for all of your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]