Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City-Meadowlands) Hyatt

dahammer
By dahammer,
in

started in the Secaucus-North Bergen zone at the 3* level for a same day reservation. Bid $57 and was rejected. Added Elizabeth and bid $60, rejected again. Re-accessed Priceline and selected Secaucus-North Bergen and Jersey City at the 3* level and bid $65 and won.

Your Offer Price: $65.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $17.12

Total Charges: $82.12

I would have preferred to stay in the Secaucus area and Hotwire was showing the Hyatt at $94, so I didn't think a $65 bid would accepted in Jersey City; I expected to get the Crowne Plaza in Secaucus. The only parking option available is Valet at a smokin' $31.05 per day. The hotel no longer offers a self parking option at a lot two blocks away which was $15 last year; this lot is now around $22-26 per day with no in-out previledges. High speeed internet is $9.95 a day as well. I guess I'll have to park in Kearny and take the train to the hotel :) The rate on the Hyatt website was $169.

Placed my bid through the links at Savingsbarn.com

If you arrive late enough and will be leaving early enough in the morning you may abe able to find on-street parking near the hotel.

Do you know where the Target is? If you head in that direction, after you pass the last tall office building (the traffic light after the Courtyard) there is street parking which i believe is "ok" from 6pm-7am, but double check the signs. From there you could walk to the hotel (a long walk in the cold) or take the LightRail from the Newport Mall stop to Exchange Place... depends how much $31 is worth to you :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

depends how much $31 is worth to you

That equals a steak, wedge of lettuce with crumbled blue cheese, and two pints of Stella Artois at Arthurs!!

I think I found a spot on Montgomery Street, the meters are in effect from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. There is a surface lot on Montgomery that has a $15 rate for 24 hours. I acutally considered parking at the Liberty Park Light Rail station and taking the train to Exchange place, 24 hours of parking and round trip fare is $5.50. That's about one pint of Stella :)

Yes, Mongomery St, two blocks away, outside the parking deck is the best and free, according to local residents who has parking in the area for years at night

Does this local resident have a Jersey City Parking Permit? According to the street signs cars without permits will be ticketed.

Not sure about it; it was a Mercedez Benz owner... My logic was that if a good car can park on street over night, my regular car would be fine, not that eye catch ... I was only there during weekends ...

This is like Staple and Modell parking lot is free but only for their customers, but some of my JP Morgan Chase colleagues park there anyway. They are not going to tow your car nor give you ticket since there are planty of parking, and they want you to come often and shop. You may not be their customer some days you park there, but you are their customers often.

This is also like 2.5* hotels, e.g Courtyard by Marriott, their coffee is for their customer, but they wouldn't mind you drop by to take a walk and have a cup of coffee. They know soon or later you will be their customer... but never try 2* hotel!!!

So, if your energy level is LOW, park in the parking deck where there is security guard to watch your car, if your energy level is HIGH like myself, you can save some money.

In general, Jersey City is one of top 10 cities of car stolen rate, others are Newark, East Orange, Elizabeth and Camden ... but even the worst city has some good spots. Park on street is not recommended in general.

They are not going to tow your car nor give you ticket since there are planty of parking, and they want you to come often and shop. You may not be their customer some days you park there, but you are their customers often.

I disagree... while usually it will be ok, occiaisionally you'll get somebody at the store in a bad mood and they'll call the tow trucks out. Your theory of "they eventually would like to have you as a customer" could apply to any store, and cars do indeed get towed from parking lots, so i don't that that is necessarily the case.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

a car parked overnight at the Staples or Modell's lot might be detected by security as the stores are closed around 9:00 pm and it could get towed. You could also take your car into Pep Boys for an oil change or minor service and then pick it up the next day, and the cost would be less than the paying to park.

I ended up finding a spot right across the street from the Hyatt in front of a parking meter. Metered parking is in effect between the hours of 9:00am-6:00pm and is limited to two hours, a bargain at $.50 an hour.

in the end, you might need a HIGH energy level to deal with the problems of having your car towed or stolen.

Also, ended up taking the Hudson Bergen Light Rail into Hoboken, $3.50 round trip, but it was better than driving around the block looking for a parking spot. My tab, sans tip, for my afformentioned repast was $35 at Arthur's...... :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]