Priceline Hotel: Syracuse - Rochester area rejection 09/05/03

Phaelon56
By Phaelon56,
in

Having just relocated, I'm staying with a friend for a few months until my housing situation is finalized. Decided to clear out for the night on a Friday so he could have his GF over for dinner and have some privacy. My target was CHEAP. I had the option of staying in Rochester, where I was planning to meet a friend for dinner, or in Syracuse where I currently reside.

Knowing that some very cheap rates are available at places such as Microtel and Motel 6 in the Syracuse area, I decided to low ball some bids to minimize risk but still allow gaining some kind of reference point in the future for 1* and 2* Syracuse and Rochester area bidding. The conclusion is that 3* represents the best value in Syracuse PL bidding (or so it appears) as the Wyndham in East Syracuse quite often goes for $45. Not so sure about 3* in Rochester but 1* and 2* were unsuccessful.

I did this a week or two ago so we're working from memory but here's the gist of it

Syracuse:

Bids for 1* at prices ranging from for $18 to $23 were all rejected - likewise with 2* at $23 and $25. The Motel 6 (improved since Accor took over the chain) was available for Web booking at $31.95 per night. Some of the likely 1* candidates (and possibly some of the 2*) in Syracuse that might show up as wins on PL are ratty and Motel 6 would be a better option.

Rochester:

Bid both ranges again at prices from $23 up to $32 in $2 or $3 increments. Once again no success. Sidestep showed prices in general to run higher in Rochester.

I reserved the Motel 6 and then my friend's plans changed - he was out for the night and I was able to cancel the Motel 6 reservation with no penalty. I have in fact (on two occasions) been successful with a lowball 1* bid in the past (Norfolk VA) and got a fairly decent property but it doesn't look like winning strategy in Syracuse.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]