NYC Hotels at eleisurelink.com

DDSeeker
By DDSeeker,
in

I'm booking a stay in January. I bid up to $145 for a 4* in all midtown zones on PL without success.

eleisurelink.com offers the New York Helmsley for $175, all taxes and fees included. (That is equivalent to a $145 PL bid.) I sure that one could argue that the New York Helmsley is probably a 3.5*, but let's leave that out of the argument for the time being.

Is eleisurelink.com reputable? Anyone have experience with it? Is it consistently competitive with the PL and HW? Any feedback would be great!

What are the date(s) of your stay in January?

I've never heard of them, but leaving "the New York Helmsley is not a 4* hotel" out of the argument is the flaw that makes this seem competitive with Priceline/Hotwire, as you're not making an apples-to-apples comparison.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tripadvisor.com gives the New York Helmsley a 4* rating and it has very good reviews. I specifically didn't want to get into this argument because you will always find someone who says a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton isn't a good hotel.

Best I can determine, neither PL nor HW offer the New York Helmsley. Consequently, the argument you made that this is an apples-to-oranges comparison to the two big opaque services would always exist. After all, it would only be an individual's personal speculation how those services would rate it. Unfortunately, I guess I didn't succeed in eliminating that criticism. And I doubt that the fact that the New York Helmsley doesn't participate in the tradition opaque services has much bearing on the quality of the property.

That said, my travel dates are Jan 18-20.

Not sure if the rates went up, but at the above site this is what i currently get for your dates:

New York Helmsley

Check-in: 1/18/2006

Check-out: 1/20/2006

$194.00 avg. rate (all-in)

If this is the rate you're currenlty seeing, this property can be had cheaper thru Expedia (which i don't generally consider to be competitive with the opaque suppliers)

With the above noted, rates do not appear to be too high for these dates, so i suspect you may have better luck with Priceline in the next few weeks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

eleisurelink.com is running a special on the Helmsley. With taxes and fees, it comes out less than Expedia.

I asked for a quote on the Intercontinental The Barkley, too. They didn't have availability on my dates.

My goal is to get a good hotel at a good price. The fact that Expedia is generally not competitive with the opaque services is not all that relevent. The New York York Helmsley apparently does not participate in the opaque services. I must evalute the New York Helmsley against the opaque services, though. If I can get a good deal outside of the opaque services, I will. It is possible that I can get a good quality hotel at a good price outside of the opaque services. In fact, being able to determine the precise location beforehand is a big plus.

I find it interesting that Expedia rates the New York Helmsley a 3.5*. Expedia also rates the Grand Hyatt (a common MTE 4* on Priceline) to be a 3.5*.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]