Priceline Hotel: HELP Chicago

blindman
By blindman,
in

I'm following this thread with interest as mentioned by AaronJb the Chicago Marathon is on Sunday 22nd October 2006 and God willing I'll be running :)

I've booked a cancellable backup at the Travel Lodge $95 + taxes for the 2 nights, Saturday to Monday.

I've done my research for the area and have come up with the following ideas, feel free to comment.

I'm quite happy to use the 'El' or other public transport, though NOT walking after the race would be a bonus!

Main preference is being close to the Start\ Finish (Grant Park-Columbus\Monroe-Columbus\Congress) for the Sat\Sunday, but I'm sure my wife needs to be close to shops :)

I need to pick up the race stuff on the Saturday at Mccormick Place.

We may then stay in Chicago for a further two nights (sightseeing etc) before flying out to either Vegas or Mount Rushmore probably via Midway with Southwest. So location near public transport,reasonable comfort and in a safe area is my main concern.

We fly into and out of Ohare Saturday 21st - Saturday 4th Nov

I'm looking for a FOUR night stay but realise I may have to split the bid to get the Sat\Sun and then the Mon\Tues.

Bidding strategy

Want 4* in the Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area

Free rebids:-

Midway Airport Area

Skokie - Niles - Evanston

This far out I'd bid ;- Start $55 to max$70 raising the max to $90 in the last few days.

2.5* can give a good Residence Inn, or Hilton Garden Inn if a little far north

I am aware of the Upgrade to the 3* hotels!

No Free rebids but can choose area 1 then Add area 2

1 Millennium Park

2 Bid NMA

Again this far out I'd bid Start $46.00 Maximum is $60

Possibly could choose Midway Airport

Takes about 25 mins to get to downtown by the El

Some good 2.5* and 3* though can be far from airport.

Start at $37 and max is $55 .

4* Ohare would be a last resort.It's about a 45 minute ride to downtown

I need to lookout for shuttle availability at Hotels.

Any thoughts and local info I should know?

Thanks.

Huh, I didn't know the marathon was the 22nd. For some reason I thought it was always around the 15th.

Anyways, from looking at the rates for those dates, hotels already have rates sky-high in preparation for the inevitable sell-outs (some hotels already appear to be booked up) that will happen that weekend.

There's currently what appears (no guarantees) to be one of the Club Quarters Hotels (no guarantees) on Hotwire for $91, so you may want to try bidding for a 3 star loop for in the neighborhood of $75. There's also what appears to be the either the (formerly Omni) Ambassador East, Westin Michigan Ave or Drake for $107 on Hotwire (4 stars, Water Tower/North Michigan Ave, hi-speed internet/restaurant/fitness/business) - all of which are certainly very nice - although that would be North of where you'd want to be - close to shopping, not close to the race.

I don't think anything will come up for a $55 4* bid for these dates. $85-90 is a possibility, but the fact that bidding would be occuring so far in advance (as well as a Saturday checkin, which is often rather difficult to get on Priceline) may mean no priceline inventory yet.

You may want to stick with the travelodge for the 2 days and then if you stay in Chicago for the other 2 days, move to a different hotel further up towards shopping - it would not be a difficult move, as Chicago is easy to get around. That way, you'd be close to the race for 2 days and then would be close to shopping 2 days. Once the race is over, hotel rooms would also be cheaper.

Thanks for the reply.

Since my post I have been researching more and have to agree with you, my (optomistic) low ball, rates are very unlikely to come up.

Even if I get a PL rate less than the Traveldoge I will probably end up along way from the start\finish.

For those dates the location is a priority not necessarily the * rating.

I've looked at Hotwire and again have to agree about the likely outcome.

I'll keep an eye out for bargains, but will probably not get any until the really last minute.

Thanks again

I've never been in that Travelodge, nor have I run in the marathon, but I do live in the city. I am also surprised the marathon is on the 22d; usually it's Columbus Day weekend.

Anyway, that location might be good for the marathon but is far from everything else. It shouldn't be too dangerous, but it's not exciting either. You will be getting spartan accommodations -- probably not bad but nothing more than the bare minmum. Are you sure that's what you want for four days in Chicago which includes running a 26-mile race? Don't you want to make sure everything goes smoothly and you're not bothered by noise, a bad bed, an so on?

If your cheapest acceptable option is $89 for the Travelodge, and you can get a 3-4* Loop hotel for another $20 or so via PL/HW... why not? If you want to scrimp you can still split your stay between two hotels.

Finally, how do you plan on getting to Mt. Rushmore via Southwest? Is that a troll, or were you planning on flying to DEN and running the rest of the way?

Thanks for the reply.

The Marathon has changed dates this year (why?) as yes, it was always Colombus day weekend. Suits me as the lower airfares from UK will be in force so cheaper flights by about $200 each!

I'm hoping to get a PL\Hotwire room instead of the Travelodge as I'm aware it will be basic accomodation, (they're no palaces over here in UK :) )however location is the key for Saturday night as the race starts at 08:00 and I don't want to have to travel too far.

I'll be trying to get a better lodging deal thro PL for at least the Monday\Tuesday night and possibly Sunday too.

Post Marathon we'll be flying to Vegas for some R&R, then on to Denver where I'll hire a car and make my way to Mt Rushmore etc.

Running will NOT be an option for those following weeks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]