Priceline Hotel: How would you split a 7-day Hawaii stay?

Aprilmay
By Aprilmay,
in

Soon, I will begin to bid on Priceline for a combination of stays for my parents. Dates are May 10-17. This vacation could never occur without th UNBELIEVABLE airfare mistake I caught: from Atlanta to Honolulu for $79 round trip! :) Yes, I said $79 from ATL to HNL and back. Anyhow, they would like to split their stay between Oahu and another island, perhaps Maui. Neither I nor them has ever been to Hawaii, so I'm looking for suggestions.

How would you split a seven night stay, considering the 4*/Resort options on Priceline? As usual, I'll begin my bidding at the ever popular www.savingsbarn.com, and I'm very appreciative for any advice.

April

We recently did a ten day trip with a couple of days on Oahu, three more on Kauai, and then five on Maui. If I went back and had only a week, I might be tempted to spend it all on Oahu. It's certainly worth at least one extra day just to drive around the island, but it's also got good snorkeling, interesting museums, and lots to do and see. That's not to knock the other islands. Kauai is beautiful but very rural. Maui is beautiful and glamourous. But you have some time to decide. I highly recommend, believe it or not, Hawaii for Dummies. It has great charts just to help your parents make this decision.

Having recently returned from Hawaii i can offer a bit of advice, but i think much has to do with your parents...

Do they like to stay put or 'get around'?

Do they like to drive?

Are they active?

What types of things do they like to do?

Are they beach people?

For a week i would recommend two islands... more than that is too much time island hopping. We went to Kauai and Oahu. Enjoyed them both, but they are also quite different.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, they are going to honor the rate...I booked them several weeks ago, and UA has confirmed in writing that they will honor the fare. They've actually already been ticketed and have seat assignments.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Believe it or not, I've actually already bought that book as a Christmas gift to them!

Thereuare, thanks for your advice. It sounds as though you had a good time on your vacation. To answer your questions... They are very active, late forties and in great shape. They might even enjoy a nice romantic hike to a lookout spot. Any suggestions? Do they like to drive? Well, enough to get where their going. Although I'm sure there is better scenery to observe in Hawaii than here in Metro Atlanta! :) They love to shop, hang out on the beach a bit, sight see, all the typical touristy stuff. In my mom's words "We want to see as much as we can in a week, without feeling rushed." I was also thinking that two islands would be max for seven days.

They've basically handed all of the reservations and planning responsibilties to me. I'm appreciative for any help you all can give. Thanks!

I can't comment about Mauai, but we were pleased with the two islands we visited... although for a future visit we would plan on visting Mauai as well.

In Kauai i would split my stay between the North shore (Princeville area) and the South Shore (Poipu area). Although the island is only ~30 miles from top to bottom, it's all two lane roads and it can take awhile to get from point A to point B.

Spend 2 days in the Princeville area... do the Kalalau Trail (the short version ~2 miles) to see the Na'Poli Coast at the look out. Upon return at the base swim and snorkel in the water at Kee Beach. Spend some time at Hanalei Bay and time at the Princeville hotel itself (have a drink at their Library Bar... during the day has a great view of Hanalei Bay)

Spend 1-2 days in the South area... definately see the Hyatt as it is a remarkable property. Hike and/or view Waimea Canyon.

In Oahu spend one day (half day) in the Waikiki area, maybe also see Pearl Harbor first this this morning (get to Pearl Harbor early)... see 'the strip' and Waikiki Beach. Spend one full day taking a loop to the North Shore, especially if there will be large waves during this time of year: stop at the Dole Plantation on the way (tourist trap but a good place to stretch your legs on the way and say that you've seen it), then stop at the surfer town of Hailewa (get shaved ice at Motsumoto's General Store), see Waimea Falls (we didn't have time to do this so i can't comment if worthwhile but i was told it was), continue on for lunch/dinner from the shrimp trucks. You'll know be almost as far as you can be from Waikiki, you can then take the scenic route home, but be prepared as it is a looonger trip than the (mostly) highway route there. On the way home stop at Lanikai Beach which was our favorite beach... no surf and very warm water. If time permits, also add a half day to snorkel/swim at Hanauma Bay.

Others can feel free to add to or comment on any of the above and i'll add more once plans are finalized, but that's my "quick overview".

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The framework of thereuare's advice is very sound. Everyone is different so it's hard to predict what people will like. Oahu is a more urban Hawaiian experience. Kauai has the laidback rural charm. Maui has some of that, but also more "excitement." The Big Island has the volcanoes and some spectacular megaresorts. If I had tickets into Honolulu and a week to spend as a first-timer, I'd generally recommend 3 days on Oahu and the rest on a neighboring island. Get a Frommer's guidebook (their Hawaii book is quite decent, and you can usually find it at the library), leaf through it, and pick an island. :)

As I've posted elsewhere, there is no need to rush to buy your interisland ticket. It is likely that intense competition next year will drive down prices. You might also want to try making your priceline hotel reservations FIRST, and then buy your interisland tickets. Availability of priceline hotels in Hawaii is difficult to predict, and you may want to pick your island based on what hotel you can get. For example, if you can get into the over-the-top Hilton Waikoloa on the Big Island for $135, that might be a good choice. Otherwise, another island might be better. Maui, in particular, can be difficult to score a good priceline deal.

BTW, I'm glad to see somebody from Atlanta take full advantage of that United fare mistake that was posted on flyertalk. I looked into buying tickets myself (even though I don't live in Atlanta!) but, alas, the limited days that were available didn't work for me.

• 1 month later...

Hang tight and be patient. That shouldn't be a peak travel period, and you've got plenty of time. For curiosity sake, you could break up your days and play around on hotwire and priceline vacations to see if there might be a "problem date" (with much higher prices) during their intended stay.

I have been in Hawaii for the last 21 consecutive years and currently spend 6 to 7 months there every year.

If someone is going for 7 days, keep in mind that you basically loose the first and last days to arriving and leaving so if they stay on Ohau (Honolulu/Waikiki) they really only have 5 full days of FUN! I would be very hesitant to recommend any visit another island their first time there, unless they wish to skip Ohau and go staright to an outer island. Maui is fine - they will need a car and it can be expensive. Kaui is more laid back by more scenic - again needing a car and it can be expensive if staying at Princeville or Poipo - cheaper to stay in Kapaa. Hawaii (The Big Island) has lots to offer including a live volcano - a car is needed and Kona (the sun side) is mostly expensive and touristy. Hilo is wet but more Hawaiian and a LOT closer to the volcano. So much of a trip to Hawaii is so dependant upon the people themselves as someone else has stated. If you want a personal consultation, don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Thank you all for your expertise. They've decided to stay on Oahu for their entire trip. Like charlie suggests, we think that for their first visit, remaining in Oahu may be best for time and money reasons. We've bid once for Waikiki North and South Resort, but have been rejected up to $150. I'll keep trying. Thanks again.

If they are happy with that, great. From a time and money standpoint, however, they could easily do another island. Hawaii is 5000 miles away, and it doesn't look like they get there often. An interisland flight takes about 40 minutes, and you can piggyback it on to your in-bound or outbound flight such that it adds little additional travel time. To me, going to Hawaii and seeing only Oahu is a little like visiting the mainland US for the first time and seeing only New York. People do it, they're happy, but they're missing a lot. Just ratcheting down daily hotel expenses to $120 would probably pay for the interisland trip.

have you tried using an Entertainment 2006 coupon book for Hawaii lodging? THere are numerous price level hotels listed there. You should have, if you don't already, a map of Waikiki showing all the hotels. Most guide books have them (Frommers?). As someone has pointed out, spending your whole vacation time in Waikiki is like going to Disney Land and thinking you saw California. There are plenty of things to do and see outside of Waikiki. Have them take the "Grand Island Tour" that lasts most of a day and goes all around the island with numerous stops to see interesting sites. They can buy a 4 (or 7?) day bus pass at most ABC Stores (like 7-11s) that save time and money. War site tours include the battleships Arizona and Missouri, there is a zoo and an aquarium, unless they are montain climbers, I would skip climbing Diamond Head. There are good art mueseums, and a Bishop Muesum (sp?) worth seeing. Do allow some time to sit and relax and enjoy the sceenery. A good place for breakfast is at Dukes on the beach - oceanfront buffet for about $15. Look for junk mail in what look like boxes that sell newspapers for lots of information as well as coupons. They could also buy an Entertainment Book for Hawaii if they have time to get it - it has lots of deals. good luck charlie

unless they are montain climbers, I would skip climbing Diamond Head

My wife and I are not big hikers, but we really enjoyed climbing Diamond Head. The views are great and i did the entire climb carrying our baby in my arms (so it's not terribly difficult of a trail)

I think snorkeling at Hanauma Bay is a must. It is closed on Tuesdays. I recommend bringing snacks and drinks, getting there early, seeing the orientation (no, it's not another time share! :) ), and then heading right out to the far edge of the main visible reef. If your folks like sea turtles, they will be thrilled.

I'm starting to put together an Hawaiian trip and would love some input from the experts.

Info

It's our first trip to Hawaii.

We arrive at HNL on 31st October 16:00

We depart from OGG on 10th November. 17:00 (This airport departure is flexible at present)

So we have 10 days.

We'll both be in our early 50's and reasonably fit.

My wife doesn't swim\snorkel.

Initial thoughts are to stay at two islands, probably Ohau and Maui, though not necessarily 5 days each.

Big Island looks tempting but we don't want to rush around too much and there is a caveat regarding flying.

We seem to have the same interests as Aprilmays folks.

charliemcarter Can I email you for the insider info?

We would be likely to split time with beach and sight seeing.

We're not party people so quiet evenings\surroundings are better than city locations.

However I think Kauai is too rural and we're not into hiking- well only to the nearest pub :)

At least one Volcano is a must see I think and we are not averse to driving around the islands taking in scenery.

I have the Lonely Planet Hawaii book (from the library :o ) and am researching that as we speak.

Good tip about the Dummies book.

We'll be hoping to PL the hotels\resorts and LoneStar that's a good tip re Maui and no PL bargains.

I have looked at theruares trip report and will look at Easy click and Hotwire for hotels.

I'll hold the PL bidding until 'we' we get some firmer itinerary. I'm assuming it's the quiet season when we arrive ?

I also saw your tip re the interislands flights, though taking more than one of these may be a restriction as my wife is a very timid flyer, it takes an effort to get her on a 747 :)

So any (other) tips would be welcome.

Thanks

Hmmm. Your wife doesn't like to swim or fly, you don't like nightlife and you don't want to hike. Are you sure you want to go to Hawaii? :)

Seriously, I think most folks would like the Islands. But not everyone. My own parents live in Florida and they don't see what's so great about Hawaii (they swim, but don't hike).

The first thing you have to ask yourself is whether you like urban vacations or "peaceful" ones. Waikiki is a great urban beach. But if you're looking for "South Seas" tranquil, it is very much the wrong place to be.

If you want to see an active volcano, you have to go to the Big Island. I recommend seeing the volcanoes, and the Big Island is fine (with generally better priceline resort availability), but the problem is that -- absent the volcano -- Maui and Kauai are nicer. So there are tradeoffs if you don't like to fly, and have limited time. FWIW, the iterisland flights last about 40 minutes and are relatively painless.

One other question.

I may be able to get a 'free' interisland (return) flight with Hawaiian air by using some free airmiles I have.

Is there a BIG difference between First Class and cattle class?

I could use all my 10K miles on first class (I'll never use the airmiles any other way) or for cattle class it's 6K.

Anyone flown First with Hawiian?

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]