Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt

Sciamano
By Sciamano,
in

Hi thereuare, here we are :) for the second half of my stay, from January 9 to 12 (3 nights).

Yesterday I tried to bid for the whole stay (1/5-12) and I got rejected up to $140, therefore it is possible that we need to increase the maximum bid over $140.

On the other hand, only two days ago my bids for $120 were rejected, while yesterday they were accepted (check my other topic)...

My backup reservation costs $169+tax, so I'm willing to raise my bid limit to $160 for a 4-star hotel, if necessary.

Thanks.

I would begin as follows...

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150.

Although the chance of you winning below $140 are not great, you still may win a hotel at lower levels... one which has low rate availability for the above dates but not for the part of your stay which was already accepted (therefore rejecting the bid for your complete stay).

Good Luck and let us know how the above goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Mission accomplished. :)

This was the bidding history:

MTW $120 - rejected

MTW + UWS $130 - rejected

MTW + UWS + UES $140 - rejected

Closed the browser and started a new bid:

MTE $120 rejected, but received counter-offer of $142.

Closed the browser again and started a new bid:

MTE + UWS $127 - ACCEPTED

Check-In Date: Monday, January 9, 2006

Check-Out Date: Thursday, January 12, 2006

Hotel Name: Grand Hyatt New York

109 East 42nd Street

Park Avenue And Grand Central Station

New York, New York 10017

212-883-1234

Your Offer Price: $127.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 3

Subtotal: $381.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $72.06

Total Charges: $453.06

The lowest rate for these dates on Hyatt.com is $225/night. A saving of $98/night is not that bad! :)

I'm very very satisfied. With my backup reservation for my entire stay (1/5-12) at the Millennium UN Plaza we would have spent $1183+tax (~$1360).

With Priceline we are spending $569 (at the Hilton) + $453 (at the Hyatt) = $1022 taxes included!

A total saving of ~$340, and we are going to 4* hotels instead of a 3*... great great great! :o

I placed my bids using the link at savingsbarn.com

You totally deserved it! :)

Thanks again soooooooo much!

EXCELLENT!!

So glad to see you have this take care of and have received two great rates at two great hotels. I'm really glad this worked out for you as it took a little convincing to split your bid, but as you can see, patience paid off and you not only saved money but upgraded your accomodations as well!

I actually like this property very much... it's got a great location on top of Grand Central Station and with a subway pass (get the unlimited weekly pass while you're in town) you can cheaply, easily, and quickly get just about anywhere you want in NYC!

Here are a few quick suggestions in this immediate area:

Esa-A-Bagel - (51st St and Third Ave) one of the best bagels in Manhattan so a great and inexpensive breakfast stop

Jackson Hole Wyoming - (Third Ave b/w 34th and 35th St) their door is not easy to spot but it's next to the bar on the corner of 35th St (east side of the street)... some of best burgers i've ever had

Rio Grande - (~34th and Third Ave not at street level, up a little hill under an apartment buildling) food is good to very good depending upon what you order so eat if you'd like, but even if you don't go for food, stop by for a frozen margarita and some chips and salsa at the bar... both are excellent (note: margaritas are not cheap, maybe $8 or so)

Blockheads (33rd/34th and Thrid Ave)- if trying to eat on the cheap, they have an early bird (4pm-7pm i think call to confirm hours and if still offerd) where you get a drink (margarita or corona), entree (burrito or some other menu item(s)), and dessert (rice pudding or flan) for ~$11. Considering the Margarita alone is $7 or so, you can see this is a great deal.

Thanks for using the SavingsBarn.com to begin your bids and have a great time in NYC.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the hints thereuare, both for the bids and for the restaurants.

I actually have already been at Jackson Hole Burgers (this is going to be my 20th visit to NYC), but will happily try the other places. :)

On the other hand it's the first time in NYC for my friend, so I would have preferred not to split our bid, in order not to waste any minute of our week. :o

But since changing hotels means saving $350.. that's more than OK, considering the many better ways to spend that money I can think of! :)

I'm now going to fax both properties to request a non-smoking king-size bed. The bed size because we are both fairly big persons, and the non-smoking because I suffer from allergic asthma, and smoke really makes me sick.

Even though I know that this requests probably won't be honoured, it's still worth trying.

Apart from this, does anyone know when the Christmas Tree in the Rockefeller center is dismantled?

I really would love to show it to my friend (I think it's the most beautiful christmas tree in the world, every year!) but I'm not sure it will still be "up" when we get there.

Thanks again for everything.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]