Hotwire Hotel: 4* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on Hudson

Danb
By Danb,
in

We are coming to NY 10/21 -10/24 and have found almost nothing for less than $350-450 a night for decent 3* and up hotels.

We are now considering staying at a good hotel in Jersey.

We tried the Hyatt in Jersey City but they are sold out b/c of a convention.

We want to spend evenings in the city and want a safe way back out in the evenings. Besides Jersey City, what other cities have direct train/subs to the city that are safe to take late on weekend evenings?

I read a post here suggesting that the NJ Newark Penn station is unsafe at nite. Another mention the Hilton being next to a CART(?) train station? Is the subway different than the train?

If we priceline or hotwire, will we get a hotel real close to the sub/train stattion? What is the best hotel easily accessible to the city in Jersey or elsewhere where we don't have a car? Are there areas we can choose thru Hotwire and Priceline and be sure of an accessible hotel?

Thanks

What is your maximum bid per night? Will you be flying into the area? What is your arrival airport?

I just did a search on Hotwire using savingsbarn.com, and found what appears to be the Hyatt for $215 per night: 4* with Restaurant, Business Center, Pool. If this matches your budget, you should jump on this with both feet, because the Hyatt is right next to the PATH station and a 10-15 minute train into Manhattan.

The most convenient NJ location for commuting by train into NYC is Jersey City. There are other areas such as Secaucus-Meadowlands that feature hotels that are close to NJ Transit Bus Stops. However, some of the 2* properties like the Wellsley Inn in Clifton, Extended Stay America in Rutherford would require a short drive to a bus stop. Hotwire also shows a 3* for $103 with the following amenities: Suite, Pool, Restaurant, High Speed Internet, Laundry, Fitness Center. This looks like the Prime Suites in Secaucus. The bus stop is literally 50 yards from the front door, and I believe there are no stops between the Hotel and the Port Authority Bus Station in NYC.

Newark has one hotel that is within walking distance to a PATH train station (Newark's Penn Station), the Hilton Gateway, but if you bid on a property in this zone, you could end up in another hotel that would require taking a hotel shuttle bus back to the airport, then taking the train into the city, this is an ordeal and could take 30 minutes or longer.

Good luck!

Thank you I wnet with the hotwire 4* at $215 which indeed was the Hyatt at Jersey City. What was surprising was its availability...the Hyatt, both on their site and by phone, advised me yesterday that they were sold out Saturday 10-22.

Because this site indicated that 4* was indeed the Hyatt that I went with this "opaque" listing.

I was surprised that Hotwire still had the Hyatt, albeit rates above the specials offered on the Hyatt site just two days earlier ($199 plus breakfast for 2 and 2 train tickets to city)

One other oddity to note. When I first got the price last nite about 1:30 am ET, the price was $190 a nite. I filled out the registration/credit card, but when I pushed "purchase" it came back saying that rate was no longer available. I redid the same request and it came back at $215.

For the "record", can you please include the amenties shown before purchase (even if still the same as in our hotel list). You can still view these by going to Hotwire and clicking on the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thanks, and enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]