Geographical restrictions?

cicadaman
By cicadaman,
in

I saw there was an old thread regarding this issue (5 years ago) so I thought it would be best to start a new one.

I'm looking to use Hotwire for the first time for a car rental. Their hot Rate is really good (<50% of the listed rates). While the hot Rate states "unlimited mileage", there is no indication of potential geographical restrictions, which is very important to me (traveling from NY to NC and back).

I tried Hotwire online chat - they stated that they could not verify

I called Hotwire - customer service representative said that he could not verify

While on the phone, I asked to speak to a supervisor. This person was more helpful. He stated that all hot Rates for rental cars include unlimited mileage and no geographical restrictions (within continental US when renting in US). He also stated that the car could be driven to Canada (if driver is US citizen), but not Mexico. Sounds great to me. Then I asked for this information in writing somewhere. He directed me to the "Help Center" and the FAQ's. Well, unfortunately, there is nothing explicit about geographical restrictions just comments about crossing international borders (I still had supervisor on the phone). I asked if he could email this information to me, but they are not allowed to do so. I was persistent in asking again since someone at Hotwire must have the authority to communicate via email to customer (even though I'm sure they frown upon it). He was going to look into it, but I'm not counting on it.

Oh yeah, the supervisor also shared with me that this hot Rate policy supersedes any of the rental agency's policies. He even stated that they often have this issue with a local (to him) agency.

So, I have their assurance, but I am a bit leery since I do not have something in writing.

I hope this information is helpful to someone.

Anybody have any problems with this issue of geographical restrictions?

I have not had any problem with any of the rentals I have made through Hotwire or Priceline with any geographical restrictions (other than the Mexico prohibition). The only time I ran into this was a few years ago when I tried to book a rental through Enterprise on one of their $9.99/day weekend rates. That contract had a clear limitation to the surrounding states to Michigan. Otherwise, I have not encountered any issue with the miles driven for the days rented through either service. Hope that helps.

cicadaman,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages and clicking each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links... then reply to this thread and we'll comment on continue the discussion your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]