CA San Francisco Galleria Park Hotel USE

slruud
By slruud,
in

Just returned from a 2 nite stay at the Galleria Park Hotel...rated a Boutique by Priceline. Rate per nite was $75 plus taxes and fees.

Hotel was in a very convenient location, close to Market and trolly ride or easy walk to cable car at Powell/Marke or California/Market. Easy walk to Sam's Grill, John's Grill, or Tadich Grill...some of our favorites.

Did not try restaurant connected to the hotel...Perry's.

The hotel itself was in need of a refurbishing, and the staff expected a multi million $$$ remodel to start soon. Our room was a little small, as so was the bathroom. A little peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, and chipped paint here and there was noticable. Shower head was at a height just fine for a 4-5 footer, but we dealt with it. Water pressure was moderate and toilet flushing was just adequate....just one of my obsessions about hotel rooms.

There was coffee/tea available in the lobby each morning as well as local paper. Wine tasting in evening was pleasent enough, and surprised many people by not having had to pay full freight for room. I booked room early June, and hotels were booked solid throughout the city for this weekend and this coming week. Two computer terminals with a shared printer were set up in lobby, so printing out boarding passes was a breeze.

Even though we had a room facing the street, room 812, it was reasonably quiet except for the occasional siren. It was just a short walk from the Montgomery BART station to the hotel, which we found very convenient.

All in all not too bad an experience. If they get the refurbishing done and spiffy things up a bit, I would be willing to stay there again.

PS...just a note on transportation. The cable cars are $5 a ride now. If you are going to be doing any travel using public transportation, the 1, 3, or 7 day Muni pass is the way to go. They cover cable cars, F-Line trolleys, and Muni busses. They can be purchased online ant SFMUNI web site or at visitors center downstairs at the end of Powell at Market.

• 1 year later...

We just stayed at this hotel November 3 - 9, 2006. The renovation was almost completed and is expected to finished by December 1, 2006. The 2nd and 3rd floors were being completed but were not a distraction or inconvenience at all.

The hotel room had one bed and was small but we expected that from a historic hotel built in 1911. The room was great and the new decor was perfect. Beds and bedding are extremely comfortable. Free wireless internet with excellent signal was a huge plus as I was there partially for business.

The staff was excellent. Anything you needed they made an extra effort to help. Dinner recommendations were right on track. When we asked directions they gave options for cable car, street car, bus or taxi. Maps were available at the desk and the daily paper each morning. Good coffee in the am and wine in the pm were great perks. We asked for transportation to the airport and they took care of that in less than 5 minutes.

Union Square was about two blocks away and the Moscone Center (site of my convention) was an easy 4.5 block walk. The location was extremely convenient and shopping was great! There is no longer a Versace store in the Crocker Galleria but that wasn't a big deal. On Thursdays there is a Farmer's Market at the Crocker Galleria that is fabulous.

For dining we recommend Scoma's at the Wharf, Bix on Gold Street (this is an alley but it's a GREAT art deco restaurant with top notch service and food), John's Grill on Ellis Street, and 2223 Market on Market Street in The Castro.

DON'T MISS THIS HOTEL!!!!!

• 3 years later...

I ended up getting this hotel with Expedia, but I thought I would post a review.

No location can be near everything, but I think this hotel's location is about as good as you can get.

The room and bed were comfortable, everything worked well, the lobby is nicely decorated, and there is a free wine reception every night.

There's a business center with 2 computers for free use, and there is free wi-fi throughout.

I did notice a few nicks and scratches here and there, but barely noticeable. Pets are allowed, and a couple times I heard a yap or two in the hallways, but it never bothered me. I never saw any pets running around or even in the lobby.

To get to the hotel from SFO, I took a shared shuttle because I arrived fairly late at night. The cost was $17 + tip.

To return to SFO, I took the BART, which is about 2-3 blocks away and very convenient. The cost was just over $8.

You can catch numerous buses within a block or two of the hotel. Research the Bay Area transit planner a bit before you arrive. There are also the light rail trains nearby, but I did not take any of those on this trip.

• 1 year later...

I won this hotel on PRICELINE for $91 for the night of 3/25/11.

The hotel was situated less than 4 blocks of Union Square and about 12 blocks (15 minute walk) from Little Italy "North Beach," so it is a great location for the price. Also there are two BART stations (Montgomery and Powell) within a 2-6 block walk which also have MUNI connections.

As for the hotel, the entry way was really nice. Front desk staff was very prompt and check-in was easy and painless. They did have a free "bottomless" wine event from 5:30-6:30 but unfortunately we were not able to make it :) They asked if we would like an upper or lower room, I choose the upper since it would be further away from street traffic, somewhat worked.

Like almost all non-chain hotels in San Francisco this building was built in the 1910's or 1920's, and the architecture does show in the room and especially the bathroom. This is not a bad thing and does not mean out of date, it simply is to say that the design of the hotel is not "modern" and not something that you would see at a Marriott, Westin, or Sheraton, which are all brand new high rises.

We had a king standard bedroom. When you walked into the room there was a TV on a small dresser which had free amenities such as tea and coffee, along with the expensive "pay" items. There was a desk, chair and ottoman, and two nightstands. The bed was really comfortable and we slept well that night. The heating is done through a radiator and the cooling is from a wall mounted unit. The bathroom really reminded me of older hotels just in the way it was laid out. It has small little tiles, the bathtub was really long, and there was an escape door in the bathroom, must have been a fire escape in the past. There was also a pedestal sink along with a mirror and toilet.

Parking was available at around $35 a day PLUS a 14% tax. I found a garage on Sutter street between Kearny and Montgomery where it was only $27 for a 24 hour period, while still a little pricey I guarantee that is the cheapest that you are going to find in downtown San Francisco.

Overall it was a great 3.5* hotel and I would recommend it to individuals who are looking for a place to stay near Union Square.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]