Priceline Hotel: NYC Sept. 23-26, first time Priceline bidder!

ohvienna
By ohvienna,
in

Hi all! I'm thinking of using Priceline for the first time, and a friend directed me to this site. What a great resource! I'm hoping someone can help a newbie with a bidding strategy for my stay.

I'm going to be in New York for 3 nights, Sept. 23-26. I'm not particularly fussy when it comes to star-ratings -- I'm thinking I'd be fine with a 2* hotel, and certainly more than happy with a 3*. I don't have any chain preferences. As long as it's clean, safe, quiet, and accessible to public transportation, my needs are pretty much met! :) During this stay, I honestly have no interest in jacuzzis, room service, etc. (nice to have, but definitely NOT essential).

As far as location, I'm also pretty flexible there. I'm mostly interested in seeing a few museums (particularly MoMA, but also the Met and/or the Whitney), and will otherwise just be meeting up with friends who live all over the city. Shopping and tourist activities hold almost no interest for me. The only area that I probably would want to exclude is Lower Manhattan.

With that said, I'm wondering what a good bidding strategy would be? Would it be a good idea to start out at the 3* level, ALL zones (minus Downtown), then expand my search to include 2* hotels if that bid isn't accepted? Also, would a $100 bid be out of the question at this stage, given how busy Sept. is in New York? Ideally, I want to spend under $400 (tax included) on lodging for my total stay.

Also: I've been to New York many times before, but all those times were in the early-mid 1990s. I hear it's changed a lot since then....!

Hi and Welcome. Thereuare is the moderator and he has great strategy. If you will look at some of the other posts in this section, you will probably find it. Check out one of the links he includes about Re-bidding explained, because it would help. If you will update your post with your upper limit, I'm sure he will help you.

If you are flexible in your zones, I would think you could get a 3*, depending on what you wanted to spend. I just got the Metropolitan NY Doubletree in MTE for $135 for one night. My post on that talks about my bidding strategy, I think.

Basically, you want to only start with one zone, and then if you are rejected, you can add another zone and bid again (instead of waiting the 72 hrs), etc etc, and hopefully can find one within your price range.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm doubtful you're going to find success anywhere near $100/nite.

Do you have any type of back-up plan if you're not successful for under $400 'all-in'? What will you do if not successful and you hit your $400 total limit?

Do be warned that as you start to go towards 2* properties you begin to increase the risk of your some of your criteria (clean, safe, quiet) not being met.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks jenndon! I guess I wasn't quite sure how to apply what I've read of Thereuare's strategy and explanation of rebidding in my case, since from what I've read, I'm flexible in terms of both location and star rating; the examples I've read seem to be in regards to people who either want a higher minumum star rating (like a 4*, but will settle for a 3*), and/or want to be in one or two zones specifically. I think my question boils down to this: is bidding/rebidding more likely to be successful if I...

1. bid one or two zones for 3* hotels, then rebid by adding additional zones from there?

2. bid ALL zones (minus Downtown) for 3* hotels, then rebid ALL zones for 2* hotels?

3. Bid ALL zones (minus downtown) for 2* hotels? (Though I don't exactly know what I'd do to rebid, except wait 72 hours!)

It seems to me like #2 would cast my net wider to begin with, but perhaps there's actually an advantage to going with #1 that just seems counterintuitive to me right now as a newbie.

on preview: hi, Thereuare! My backup plan right now is that I have a not-very-nice-but-someplace-to-sleep 1-1/2* hotel booked (I can cancel without penalty up to 48 hours advance), and have also been checking out Craigslist for short-term vacation rentals and in-home B&B's. There are a number within my price range, but I thought I'd give Priceline a try before I commit to that option. (There's also one friend who's offered his couch, but he lives in a very small place with his girlfriend, so I'm hesitant to inconvenience them!)

Also, I'm okay with starting my bid at higher than $100 -- say $120 or $130? I realize with taxes that will put me over the $400 mark, but that's OK. $400 total is just my (probably unrealistic) ideal!

It sounds as if you understand re-bidding so let us know your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy to try which goes up to that amount.

You don't want to follow methodology #2 in your example above, as you then only get "one shot" at each star level. Let us know your real maximum bid amount and it'll be easy to see by example why the above is not the right approach.

Unless you state otherwise in your reply, i'm going to assume that you're willing to go as low as a 2* property, unless you've changed your mind based upon my comments above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Select 3* MTE, bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTS, bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW, bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Select 3* UM/CPS, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Select 3* UES, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Select 3* MTE and MTS, bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS, bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and UES, bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Select 3* MTE and MTW, bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTS and UES, bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and UM/CPS, bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Select 3* MTE and MTS and MTW and UES and UM/CPS, bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone bid $135.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the above fails you can then try for 2.5*, which is a bit trickier since not all zones have 2.5* properties (you have to "close browser and re-access" for each new line:

MTE 100

MTW 100

UWS 100

MTE and MTS 105

MTW and UES 105

UWS and UM/CPS 105

MTE and UES 110

MTW and UM/CPS 110

UWS and MTS 110

MTE and UM/CPS 115

MTW and MTS 115

UWS and UES 115

MTE, MTS, UES 120

MTW, UES, UM/CPS 120

UWS, MTS, UES 120

MTE, MTW, MTS, UES 125

MTW, UWS, UES, UM/CPS 125

MTE, UWS, MTS, UES 125

MTE, MTW, UWS, UES 130

MTE, MTW, UWS, UM/CPS 135

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For 2* you can just follow the same strategy as the 3* but substitute 2*

Hopefully you understand my shorthand above, but if not feel free to ask any questions you may have.

ohvienna--

It sounds like you might need a little explanation of the bidding strategy in general. Use thereuare's plan above. The reason you only do one zone/star level at a time is that it enables you to bid higher if your first bid is rejected by adding another zone, without waiting the 72 hours that priceline causes you to wait before rebidding. That way you don't have to start at $120 or $130, but will eventually get there (and maybe get accepted at a lower bid).

Also--if you type savingsbarn.com in your browser and use the PRICELINE link there it will help support this site.

Finally, it's helpful to others looking in the area if you post your bidding strategy and what you ultimately won, or if you give up because it's too high.

Good luck--

Hi all,

Thereuare and Jenndon, thanks so much for your help and clarifications! I appreciate it. I followed the bid strategy above (ending at 2*, all regions except downtown, $130), but unfortunately all my bids were rejected. For now my plan is take a short-term vacation apartment rental or private B&B. But thanks again for all your help -- I'm definitely going to try Priceline again one of these days, and I'll be sure to post my results when I do!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]