A question about bidding and credit cards

KnightAngel
By KnightAngel,
in

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I am going to make my first Priceline bid in a few days. I have a question about credit cards though. I no longer have one. Since I will be bidding online I was going to use my Webcertificate (It's like a prepaid card only you just use it online-You don't get a physical card.) Anyway, when reading that some hotels require a card at check in I became a little nervous. What if I get there and they won't let me check in because I don't have the actual CC? Do they do this? I know that it is for additional fees. Could I give them a cash deposit instead?

The only other alternative would be to use my mom's CC and book it that way. If I took the card with me along with the print out of my confirmation would that be enough or would the hotel give me problems?

Thanks a lot for any help you can provide! :)

You don't need the exact same credit card for the hotel that you used for Priceline. You do require some credit card when you check in, though, as most hotels will want to have that on file for incidental charges. They might or might not accept a cash deposit - the problem is you can't ask in advance because you don't know what hotel you will get.

I don't know if the WebCertificate will work for your bid or not. Either way, though, you do need a physical credit card when you show up at the hotel.

Welcome to BetterBidding.

I don't know about web certificates and how they work, so i can't comment on that.

Regarding a credit card at check-in, this is for incidentals (telephone calls, mini-bar snacks, meals charged to the room) and is how the hotel is certain they will get paid for them. Many hotels will accept a cash deposit in lieu of a credit card, but just how much they'll require is dependent upon the hotel.

I think there are 2 things that you can do:

1) Obtain your hotel and then call them on the telephone and ask how much of a cash deposit they would require in lieu of a credit card

2) I don't know if they'll allow you to present your mom's credit card, but she may be able to call ahead and give authorization (via fax or email perhaps) to use her credit card to secure any incidentals that you may incur.

Here's a thread you may be interested in reading on a similar subject: Bidding for SomeOne Else on Priceline

I'm certainly not the only one that can help you, but if you need help with a bidding strategy you may want to ask for that help now (in the appropriate state category) as i'll be away next week and don't know how much time i'll be able to spend online.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]