Priceline Hotel: Priceline "Express Deals" Compared to Bidding

hohogap
By hohogap,
in

Does anyone have any insights on whether PRICELINE's "name your own price" can be cheaper than the PRICELINE EXPRESS Deals? I'm heading to Fairbanks for the summer solstice and the Alaska Goldpanners game on June 21, 2013. Obviously, prices are high but PL has a PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal for a 2 1/2* hotel for $107/night for 6-20-13 ( I arrive at 12:30 am on 6-21, but will contact whatever hotel I get in order to assure a "late arrival"). I've been bidding 2 1/2 * on name your own price up to $97 without luck. Any insights on any correlation between nyop and express deals would be appreciated. And, as always, all searches, bids and wins are done through the BB web site links!

We have seen instances where bidding has been cheaper then the PRICELINE EXPRESS option, and have also seen instances where bidding up to the rate of the PRICELINE EXPRESS option has failed... so it could go either way. I think in theory PRICELINE bidding will likely be a little cheaper then PRICELINE EXPRESS, but 1) with the link and coupon in my signature the 5% could make the express deal cheaper, and 2) as PRICELINE EXPRESS is a new product i think PRICELINE is making the rate very competitive to bidding.

Bottomline: utilize them both.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Will do. Unfortunately, the coupon expires before I leave, but I will be sure to inform the Board of my results. Bidding up to within $8 of the Express Deal really isn't any great difference anyway. Thanks for all of your efforts. Love the Board!

• 2 weeks later...

Have been using the BB Board for continued bids for 1 night, 2 1/2*, in Fairbanks, 6-20-13, and am up to $100/night on PRICELINE name your own price, with no luck. The Express Deal for the 2 1/2* is only $114, and appears to be the Regency. Hoped to get it for less tha PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal, but may take the plunge next week to ensure the booking. I'll be sure to post the "win," whatever it is.

We have seen examples of both PRICELINE bids being accepted below the PRICELINE EXPRESS deals price... as well as bid failing at the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal price, so i don't think it can always be assumed that bidding will result in a better price (although it does pay to play one side of their service against the other)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

Even though I presume that Fairbanks has its own unique hotel pricing system for the summer season, I thought I'd still provide an interesting account of pricing for a June 20th, 1 night stay. Originally, the PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal on PL was $114/night for a 2 1/2* (presumably the Regency Fairbanks - previously reported to the Board as a 3*, but presuming it's been slightly downgraded given a number of reviews I've seen). I've been bidding on NYOP up to $114 today on PL, where the Express Deal now goes for $129/night. No luck. HOTWIRE also has a 2 1/2* going for $140 for the same night (again, presumably the Regency although no one has reported any HW wins for Fairbanks to the Board). The Regency is listed on HOTWIRE for $185/night. HW also has a 3* for $197/night (presumably the newer Holiday Inn). When clicking through to all hotels again, the Westmark (listed as a 3 1/2* hotel) is now shown both on HW and PL for only $129/night, fully cancellable until one day before arrival. Under the Westmark listing, HW states "compare Westmark to a (lower rated) 3* hotel for $197 (a whopping $68 more per night). Never seen a "compare" where they are asking you to pay much more for a lower rated hotel. On PL, the Westmark is also shown for $129/night but listed as a 2 1/2* property. I booked the fully refundable Westmark on HOTWIRE (through the links on the Board) and will continue to keep myself entertained by bidding PRICELINE NYOP over the next 2 months, just in case there's a drop in anticipated tourism and the PL offers decrease.

And, as always, all searches, bids, bookings and wins are made through the BB PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]