ME Portland Sheraton South Scarborough

Spartops
By Spartops,
in

We arrived on Monday afternoon and were greeted by a woman at reception who loudly proclaimed that yes indeed we had a priceline reservation. This does not bother me but I'm always surprised when hotel staff does this in front of guests who are paying higher or even rack rates. The rooms are in two circular towers that are six stories each. Our room was in the first tower on the 3rd floor 180 degrees away from the elevators and ice machines. I thought this was fine until I closed our door and could still hear the ice machine down the hall. It was the loudest I have encountered pretty much anywhere. The hotel is not new (Elvis stayed here during his only Maine appearence) and is starting to show its age. Although our stay was fine, This would not be my first or second choice of 3* hotels in Portland if I was paying a standard rate.

The hotel is across from the Maine mall and its selection of franchise restaurants. If you want real food, do your self a favor and go into Portland.

• 1 year later...

There is really only one true 3* Hotel in South Portland and that is the Marriott. We generally stay at the Marriott but I wanted to try out Priceline for some research on a trip we will be taking in April and have a nice weekend in Portland. We live in Central Maine and do this often for one reason or another. The front desk person we had was cordial, polite and efficient. We asked for a non smoking room with two double beds and was given just what we wanted on the 7th floor. There are actually two towers one is 9 floors and one is 7 floors. The room was somewhat small but adequate and sparkling clean. The hotel does really need some renovation, the carpets were worn but clean and the grout in the bathroom badly stained although also clean. The beds were the high point of the room, super clean, new bedding and very comfortable. The dining was very disappointing, they once had decent dining, but now the room that was once the dining room is a function room and the bar is now a bar/small dining area with a menu that rivals the fast food chains in the area. We really don't like going out for diner when we stay but had to go to the Marriott for dinner which was great, the Marriott has a fine restaurant. We went to Eggspectations for breakfast which is only about a mile from the hotel, although Portland does have some great restaurants, there are a couple of good places to eat within a mile of the hotel without going to the Mall. Without a decent restaurant the Sheraton is more like a "B&B" like the Comfort Inn without the nice free breakfast, actually the Comfort Inn in South Portland is quite nice, we have stayed there a number of times. The beds and the great nights sleep I got will bring me back again on April 16 for a trip we are taking to Philadelphia, to catch a flight out of Portland. At $60 that we paid this was a nice stay at a very good price, however, if I had paid the hotel rate, which I think is $149, I wouldn't be a happy camper. Did even better in April got the room for $55, if we have the same kind of experience, it will be a bargain. Thanks for the tip, I will try to get a room not on the ice machine floors. The 7th floor was nice with great floor to ceiling windows but the view was of the Mall, not a pretty sight. If your going to do a priceline hotel, I think taking the 3* route is a good idea, there are some really crappy 2* hotels that you are bound to get if you go with 2* and for $55 or $60 you are really getting an almost 3* hotel for a 1* price.

• 5 years later...

I had forgotten I had reviewed this property previous.

Anyway, it has since become a Wynhdham a few years ago and with that got a well needed freshen up. It has now recemtly in the last few months been rebranded as a Doubletree. Ohter than the cookies at check in they have not really done anything to the property as yet. The rooms are exactly the same as when I stayed here when it was a Wyndham down to the sheets on the beds. On the whole my stay was fine. The rooms are still as noisy as ever, but I stayed on a quiet Wen night so it was not an issue. It seems the place is in better shape all around from when it was a Sheraton in my opinion.

Pros:

Close to Rt 95 and the Maine Mall.

Reasonable rates.

Excellent, efficient, on time airport shuttle. The best I've encountered in 30 years of business travel.

Friendly staff.

Cons:

None really, other than noisy corridors and the fact that although you are surrounded by about 500 restaurants they are all chain/franchise rubbish. Again the real food is a few miles away in Portland proper.

I would happily stay here again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]