Priceline Hotel: 2/15-2/17 Maui

TT2013
By TT2013,
in

Please follow-up your previous Priceline Maui thread with the details of the hotel you won, then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at the remaining nites of your trip.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Have you thought about VRBO.com ("vacatoin rentals by owner")? There are many vacation rentals on Kaanapli Beach that you can rent direct from the owner. And, many times the units include full kitchens (something that has become more important for me now that I have small children). A 2-night stay over Presidents weekend might be hard to find, but I've had really good luck. Click on the state and then the region you are looking for. You can also fill in the calendar for your dates and the search results will yield only those rentals that are available. Scan and see if there is something in your budget.

By way of example, we are staying in a studio (with full kitchen) February 17-20 at the Whaler @ $125/ni. We are then staying in a one-bedroom (again full kitchen) Feb 20-23 at Maui Kaanapali Villas for $200/ni. We are "filling in" open days on the calendars for the owners so I was able to negotiate slightly discounted rates -- when searching, I didn't look for a one week rental, I intentionally looked for 2-3 night openings and then offered to "fill in" the owner's calendar if they gave me a discounted rate. Many owners have a minimum number of nights, but if they have just a few days between bookings they will rent them in order to be able to fill in their calendars. Just an idea.

already tried up to $310, still not get any. How possible that I can get a 4* resort or hotel in Maui before my leave under $300?

I suspect rochellm is right.

Have you considered:

1 - a slightly lower star level

2 - any zones you've not yet bid

3 - HOTWIRE (upper left hand corner on this page)

4 - checked some of the other links on the Support Page

5 - airbnb.com (private residences similar to vrbo.com mentioned in earlier posts

Romelle

already tried up to $310, still not get any. How possible that I can get a 4* resort or hotel in Maui before my leave under $300?

I think it is possible to get a resort under $300, but it is just not going to happen now. Book somtheing that can be cancelled, anything, just so you don't find yourself without a place to stay. Then, be patient and continue to bid. Personally, I would not bid over $200 at this time. The resorts are likely not releasing rooms because they want to sell them at the premium rate ($400+) for that weekend, which is a long holdiay weekend and a prime trime for travel to Hawaii. I would also consider lowering your star rating for the Kaanapali Area and/or trying to bid for resort in Wailea, where reported wins for the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa tend to be much lower than the Kaanapali area.

Whether hotels are holding out in hopes of higher demand or if they're actually seeing higher demand, i think part of the 'problem' is twofold (and a good example of how rates are date specific and can vary substantially from one year to the next as well as one week to the next):

1) Valentine's Day falls on a Thursday... some may make a long weekend out of it and stay from 2/14-2/17

2) many schools are off for Presidents Day/Week beginning on 2/18 and therefore some family vacationers may be arriving on 2/15 and staying for a few days or thru the following weekend

Using MAPS and HOTELS.com i'm seeing hotel direct rates at Resort class properties for these dates around the $500 level, which is indicative of increased demand.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]