Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Newark (Jersey City) Candlewood Suites

Kaskimondo
By Kaskimondo,
in

Hi guys.

I would like to get a room at either the Hyatt Jersery City or Candlewood Suites for the weekend of 9/9 - 9/13.

I know I can get the Candlewood through hotwire for about $102 a night, but do you think I can get the Hyatt for that price or less on Priceline? Would it be difficult to get that hotel at that time?

We're loooking to be close to the train and have parking. The view from the Hyatt looks good, but do you guys think it's worth it to stay there over the Candlewood suites? I know Candlewood has free parking and it's 4 blocks from the train station but it's probably not as nice a hotel as the Hyatt.

Thanks.

BTW, great site and info.

I think you have to list your priorities for your stay.

I assume you've read this

Review

Candlewood has FREE parking, which can cost $15 (or more) per day if you stay at the Hyatt.

Candlewood is about a 2 minute walk (if that) from the EXCHANGE PATH station.

The Hyatt is 5 FEET away .

Candlewood has FREE shuttle to the Newport PATH station which is 4 blocks away.

You can get the view when walking to the PATH from the Candlewood and you can walk round the pier front on which the Hyatt is located.

Candlewood has a small kitchen in the room, you could make a meal if you want.

Yes the Hyatt is a 'better' hotel , but not by much and how long are you going to spend in your room??

The thing that makes (or used to make) the Hyatt a real bargain was the $27 PL rate (now sadly gone :) )

Yes, I did read the review here and on TA.

So if I settle on Candlewood suites, would it be better to get the hotwire deal since it's cheaper than their online rate booked directly?, or would it best to try a pricleine bid and get an even lower rate?

And what's an easier way to "guarantee" the Candlewood?

I've been weighing weiging the pros and cons and the Candlewood looks like the better place of the two, IMO.

Thanks for the reply.

If the above hotel is rated 2.5* then those are the amenties and star rating that have previously been associated with the Candlewood Suites. I would consider it very, very, likley that this is indeed the Candlewood Suites, but you are buying an opaque product and nothing is guaranteed (the unknown is the trade-off for lower prices)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

if you bid with Priceline, the Candlewood is rated as 2*. The Courtyard is 2.5* and the Hyatt is 3* (as well as the Doubletree, which does not come up as often). If these are acceptable, then you can start bidding. There are no "sure things " but your only risk is that you win a hotel that has not been previously reported. If your bids fail, you can fall back on Hotwire, but I would not let too much time pass lest the rooms at the Candlewood start to sell out.

Don't bid for a 1* property as there are likely 1* hotels in this zone, but they are out on Route 1&9 and that's not where you want to be.

I would definately $81 and/or $85 on your next round of bidding.

Thank you for trying your previous bids thru the SavingsBarn.com links. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, you would need to wait the 72 hours because you have just placed an identical bid (which failed) at $80.

If you were willing to risk switching hotels you could split your bid, as changing your dates is not viewed as a duplicate bid. You could then bid, for example, 9/9-9/12 and if successful bid again for the sole nite of 9/13.

HOWEVER, before doing this, make sure that Hotwire still shows what is believed to be the Candelwood for your sole nite. Sometimes hotels will have inventory for a multi-nite stay but not for an individual nite...checking Hotwire as suggested gives you a 'fallback' where you can be reasonably certain that you won't get shut-out by a sold-out condition for an individual nite's stay.

Thanks for your help guys.

I ended up booking through Hotwire for $102 a nite, got the Candlewood suites as expected. Not a bad deal at all for free parking and such. Didn't feel like taking a chance and having no room.

Just in case you guys didn't know the 14th Annual New York Super Boat Grand Prix is that weekend. Should be cool to check out. We'll probably head over to Liberty State Park to watch it that Saturday. Maybe that's why the rates were still high for this weekend.

Here's the link.

BOAT RACE

I also ended up booking 2 nights in Philly and got the Hyatt at Penn's Landing for $95 a night, not bad and it looks like a nice place.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the warning... if this is the boat race i'm thinking of it's right near my apartment, and it's very loud with speed boat engines roaring for 2-3 hours in the morning and helicopters flying overhead as they follow the boats around in circles. It also smells of gasoline fumes for most of the morning... but I can deal with it for a day. :)

If this is the same event, i don't think it draws too large of a crowd. I looked on the link above and it's not clear just how far north the course goes, but if it's this same event, i think PierA park in Hoboken would be a better viewing location... but if this is a different event then i could be wrong.

Please post the details of your Philadelphia win in the PHILADELPHIA PRICELINE forum... nobody looking for information on Philadelphia would know to look in this (NJ) thread for your win.

Thanks, and enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]