Priceline Hotel: 3* San Francisco (Cathedral Hill) Holiday Inn Gldn

dave
By dave,
in

Will be in San Francisco from 30 Sep - 4 Oct. No idea as yet where to stay but am flexible.

Will NOT have a car so will be using the municipal railway (3-day pass).

Looking for a hotel either 3* or 4*. On a budget, so trying not to exceed $60-70 / night.

Intend to also do a day trip to Yosemite, thereafter rent a car and drive to LAX.

Any suggestions on accomodation as well as itineraries welcome.

There doesn't seem to be too much going on (convention wise) during your dates, you should be able to a decent rate for a 3* or 4* with Priceline. Have you decided what area you would like to stay in? Check out recent winning bids and you get an idea of what price range you may be looking at - Priceline San Francisco

Also check out the - San Francisco Priceline Hotel List and price through the usual sources (Expedia, etc) for the going rates and availability. I think thereuare can advise you on a strategy when you decide which location(s) are favorable.

It's five hours from SF to Yosemite. Each way. Maybe closer to four if you start from like Livermore, but no better. I have no knowledge of touring services to Yosemite, but a bus ain't going to be faster.

Map with Directions

191 miles each way. About two-thirds is off freeways. Gas is $3+/gallon, higher near the park.

Cheapest lodging IN the park are the Curry Village tents at $39/night on weeknights. Cheapest thing in the park that approaches a modern hotel room will run closer to $100. You can stay outside the park, but then you're 20+ miles from Yosemite Valley and will pay about what a downtown SF hotel costs on Priceline.

I have an upcoming trip to Yosemite and am looking at four DAYS in the valley. That doesn't count Tuolumne Meadows, etc., which will be another day or two. I guess you can drive into the valley, look around and drive out, but given the cost and effort is this the most interesting thing you can do?

If you want mountains and nature there are oodles of places around SF to go, many even accessible by public transportation. It's your money and time.

Dates: 9/30 to either 10/3 or 10/4 (undecided).

Want to try 3* San Francisco (Cathedral Hill).

Trying not to go above $50 but realize that might not be possible.

Therefore willing to split bids.

Appreciate any advise on bid strategy. Thanks :)

Dates now firmed up for the first leg of the trip.

Area: 3* San Francisco (Cathedral Hill)

Dates: 9/30 - 10/3 (3 nights)

Based on recent wins, looking at a budget of $50 thereabouts.

Did a rate check on the Holiday Inn website and noted that the rate is slightly higher on Saturdays.

Therefore willing to split bids if necessary or stay in other areas as long as it's within the city with public transport available.

Appreciate a bidding strategy.

Thanks

Are you sure you really want to stay in Cathedral Hill? If you're going to be relying on Muni to get around, I'm not sure that it's the most convenient neighborhood for you. Cathedral Hill is only accessible by bus. You're close enough to the wharf if you take a bus for about 10 mins up Van Ness, but you're not really near anything else. I think you may be better off staying in an area like Union Square or the Embarcadero. Also consider the Civic Center area, which, although it isn't the prettiest neighborhood, it is very convenient for getting around on the muni, and less expensive than the other areas I've suggested.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips everyone has provided.

Here are the results of bidding:

10/1 - 10/2

Congratulations, you got your price of $48 for a 3-star hotel room.

Holiday Inn Golden Gateway

Cathedral Hill

1500 Van Ness Ave.

San Francisco, California 94109

415-441-4000

Used the add a night feature and was also able to get 9/30, which I previously wasn't able to obtain even up to $54.

Glad to see you got it all settled, and with all of your preferences!

Were you rejected on a previous bid before $48 for the above dates?

Am i mistaken or have rates for this property and nite gone up since we first started looking at it?

Thanks! Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]