Hotel parking

dougcutler
By dougcutler,
in

There is no way of knowing if the hotel offers parking or not.

My experiences have been that parking is always available, the question is whether they charge for it or not. Fortunately, most hotels in the same area have the same policy (whether pay for free), BUT if there is a fee, prices can vary greatly.

If you are visiting an area where a charge for parking is typical, i would still use Priceline (or Hotwire) to buy the room. Once i knew the hotel i was staying at, i would then call the hotel directly for their parking rate, and then post (here, or at a travel related site) for advice on where the cheapest parking is in the area.

REMEMBER, you don't need to park at the hotel you are staying at! A fee for parking is usually charged in large metro areas, so there are usually a LOT of other parking options in the immediate area. Sometimes parking at the hotel across the street from yours or at a garage one block away can save you $10/day or more.... this can be significant on a multi-nite hotel stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It is really lamentable that there is no way to require free parking, by checking a box on Priceline's bid screens. Priceline loses business, because I will not bid in a zone where some hotels charge outragous rates for parking, while others offer free parking. Such is the San Francisco airport zone: north of the airport parking is free, south of the airport some hotels charge $10 and more. So whenever possible, I prefer to pay $2-3 more in the adjacent South San Francisco zone (all free parking), than bid in the SFO zone at all.

I think it might be nice if this forum had a separate category for "parking deals" or perhaps in each state/location category there could be a place to post such deals. I'm always on the prowl for good parking deals in NYC as I'm there many times every month. When I travel somewhere it would be great to know. I'm the type who doesn't mind dropping off my bags at the hotel and walking or cabbing it back if it's going to save me $10-$20 per day.

I'm with you Phaelon, if i can save some money with only minor inconvience, i will do it!!

Feel free to put this info as a new topic in the appropriate state category under "Priceline/Hotwire Hotels and Tips -a list of hotels by city and essential tips for this area", as i would consider this an "essential tip" for the area. As i type this realize that it would be hard to distinguish whether this would go in the Hotwire or Priceline category of "essential tips" so maybe for now you can post it in Priceline since that seems to be more active (or double post it via copy/paste).

Another idea i just thought of while typing, maybe i'll combine the above 2 categories into one, then have 2 pinned topics at the top, one for Hotwire's Hotels and Tips and one for Priceline Hotels and Tips.... with all the "tips" being in topics below the two pinned topics.

Hmm... can't do it now, but something to for me to think about. How does everyone else feel if the set-up changed to the above?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The problem with combining tips is that some really apply ONLY to Hotwire, and some ONLY to Priceline in certain areas, and I really don't want to wade through one to get to the other. Instead, what about doing a general tips under each state? Things like parking aren't specific to either HW or PL, but to geography.

Good point.

I think this can be overcome if i copy the posted tips (that are specific to Hotwire/Priceline) to the appropriate "Master List of Hotels by City and Tips" which will be pinned at the top of the forum (one pinned "master list and tips" topic for Hotwire, one pinned "master list and tips" topic for Priceline). If a tip is general to the area, then it'll simply remain in the thread under the pinned topic. I don't know how well i'm explaining this, so i'll use an example:

If hotel XYZ is the only 4* hotel that Hotwire offers in a zone that offers BOTH a shuttle service AND a kitchenette, then this post will remain in the thread, BUT will also be copied to the Hotwire "master list" pinned at the top.

If there is a parking lot in the area that offers parking at a substantially reduced rate than the hotels in the area, then that post will remain in the thread (because it's a good "tip") under the pinned topics, but WON"T be copied to another area as it doesn't pertain specifically to either Priceline or Hotwire, but instead applies to the area as a whole.

What are the thought on the above? Given the way i explained it, it sounds as if i'm "minimizing" the value of the general (non-specific Priceline/Hotwire advice) but my personal opinion is that this wouldn't be the case when implemented (ie- i think it'll work better than it sounds, but i could be wrong).

Thoughts/Comments?

The above question re: Fort Lauderdale Hotel Parking is being re-posted in the Florida Hotel List and Tips thread as it pertains to a specifc area.

Once it is answered, i think it will beneift more people there as that is where people would likely look in the future to find the answer if they have the same question.

Please post your reply there.

<as always, thanks for posting>

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]