How does Priceline come up with their * ratings?

mtbscott
By mtbscott,
in

I ask this question in general, but most specifically for the NYC area. When I look across various booking and travel sites, certain hotels will sometimes be rated with a different number of stars amongst them. TripAdvisor's rating might not be the same as Priceline's, who's isn't the same as Expedia's, etc.

I generally start my Priceline bids (from the links here) with 3*'s but am wondering aloud how much "luxury" I'm giving up in Manhattan if I were to go to 2 or 2.5 stars. Most rooms are small there, I'm not picky, all I really want is a private room with at least a double-sized bed and private bath. Am I assured that with a 2* rating in Manhattan via Priceline?

PRICELINE responded regarding private bathrooms to the user in this thread.

However, when you are talking about 2* properties in NYC, you are going to get a private bathroom, but the quality at the 2* level (and to a lesser degree the 2.5* level) is going to vary significantly. You may luck out and get a nice 2*, but you could definitely get a 2* that is not very nice.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]