Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on Hudson

Jas
By Jas,
in

Hi all, this is my first posting here at BetterBidding.com.

I would like to stay at the Hyatt on the Hudson in Jersey city for two nights: check-in Fri 7-29 checkout Sunday 7-31. Is it too late to use Priceline?

I have never used Priceline before but from I read it seems to be a good place to get great deals.

Right now, on Expedia, a Double Room (2 queens) is going for 153CAD/night (roughly 126 USD).

What is a good strategy for bidding? Also, can I be ASSURED that I will stay at this hotel?

I am going with a woman ( :) ) and she absolutely want this hotel.

Thanks for your help.

I think you need to be clear as to how Priceline works.

There is No Guarantee as to which hotel you'll get and even if you follow the advise and experience in bidding of the board members you still can't guarantee you'll even get a hotel as they all may be full or not have their priceline rate avaiable.

I would inform you lady friend of the above!

You CANNOT BE ASSURED you'll get this hotel if you use priceline, if you really want it then book conventionally :)

That said, it is never too late to bid on priceline, some places you can bid on the day up to 16:00.

This hotel usually has lower rates at the weekend which improves your chance of significantly winning a PL bid. The rate you posted is reasonably low so you may be lucky.

I will not give you a strategy as it's not my place but I will give the following advice:

1) Book a cancellable backup where you'll be happy to stay for your trip.

2) Decide WHERE you want to stay with PL

3) Decide yor MAXIMUM bid on PL (don't forget to factor in the taxes and fees)

4) If you ask for advice then follow it !

Read up on how to bid on priceline

FAQ's

especially understand about 'Free rebids' and the '72 hour lockout'

Are you aware that you can use Hotwire ?How Hotwire works

Browse this board for other FAQ's.

Good luck

say there are two hotels in one zone with the same * rating. I would like one particular one. Looking on winning bids around my dates, only this one hotel is showing up, not the other. Is it possible that around some times of year, you MAY only get one hotel in a given * category in one zone?

Also, say there is a 20-30 $ difference in the best available rate, would bidding low generally give you a better chance of getting the lowest retail priced hotel?

Without going into the complexity of the Priceline business bidding model :) I would say No to all three questions:

1) Book a cancellable backup where you'll be happy to stay for your trip.

2) Decide WHERE you want to stay with PL

3) Decide yor MAXIMUM bid on PL (don't forget to factor in the taxes and fees)

4) If you ask for advice then follow it !

Which of these steps have you done ?

Hotwire, is showing a 3.5* hotel for $129, which has been previously identified as the Hyatt. This is also the current prepaid rate on Hyatt.com; if you make a reservation, can you please use the Travel Links to Help Support BetterBidding above? Also, you can bid up to 1800 or 6:00 PM local time on Priceline. There is a slight chance that you can get the Doubletree, but this hotel has not been reported recently. Just like Clint Eastwood said "You gotta ask youself one question, do you feel lucky?" Priceline rates for the Hyatt have been coming down a bit, but since you have a female travelling companion, it is not worth the heat if you don't get the Hyatt on PL. Go for the sure thing, book direct, enjoy your weekend.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you decide you're able to take the risk of a different hotel (odds favor the Hyatt but no guarantees) i would bid $61, if that is rejected than wait 3 days and bid $81.

If getting a different hotel is going to spoil your weekend than book the hotel directly at the HYATT website (and please use the preceeding link to do so).

Let us know what you ultimately choose to do.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotwire, is showing a 3.5* hotel for $129, which has been previously identified as the Hyatt. This is also the current prepaid rate on Hyatt.com; if you make a reservation, can you please use the Travel Links to Help Support BetterBidding above? Also, you can bid up to 1800 or 6:00 PM local time on Priceline. There is a slight chance that you can get the Doubletree, but this hotel has not been reported recently. Just like Clint Eastwood said "You gotta ask youself one question, do you feel lucky?" Priceline rates for the Hyatt have been coming down a bit, but since you have a female travelling companion, it is not worth the heat if you don't get the Hyatt on PL. Go for the sure thing, book direct, enjoy your weekend.

Also, you can bid up to 1800 or 6:00 PM local time

DOH! that's what I meant to say :)

Typo on my behalf :)

ok, I talked to her to see whether she accepts the risk of getting another property, and she said it was OK, but that she'd rather like the Hyatt.

Who knows, maybe I do feel lucky today! Let's try, I have nothing to lose. I feel that the trip to NYC will be so much nicer if we save around 60$-70$ a night. That means 140$ more to spend and treat her right :) so even if she whines a bit... who cares, I'll buy her something.

I haven't found a cancellable backup, maybe someone could help me with that. It would be greatly appreciated. I've found SOMETHING but with a 30CAD cancel rate, I'd chew up the money saved. I'm willing to bid up to 85$ USD and I have decided where to stay. I HAVE to be in jersey city so that the commute is easy to NYC. Preferably the Hyatt as it's right next to the PATH, oh, and the view of course!

Thanks for all your help!

I don't really care if I get two hotels. might even be fun!

Ok, so I split my bid, still nothing at 85$.

guess I'll wait three days, and it taht doesn't work, I'll buy it off Expedia

UPDATE: got it for friday hte 29th at 85$.

now maybe I could go down to Seacaucus for Sat. night. as I'm going to Giants Stadium on Sunday afternoon anyway.

1st bid 61$ for 7.29-7.31 rejected, 81$ for 7.29-31, rejected.

Split bid 85$ for 7.29 accepted AT THE HYATT!!! 85$ for 7.30 was rejected. I'll move to Seacaucus to be closer to Giant's Stadium for that night.

total was 105.27!

1st bid 3* jersey city: 61$ failed 7.29-7.31

2nd bid 3* jersey city: 81$ 7.30 failed

3rd bid 3* jersey city: 85$ 7.29 got it.

Your Offer Price: $85.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $85.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$20.07

Total Charges: $105.07

glad I won the Hyatt, that's the place I wanted too!! I feel sorta lucky. And I'm still saving what 45 USD!

I needed friday night the most. so I tested it with the 81$ bid for Sat.

I then went to 85$ for Friday as a last hope and got it. And as we're going to Meadowlands (Giant's Stadium) on Sunday, might as well sleep in Secaucus on Sat. night and save a bunch more. That's the reasoning behind the bids.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]