Hotwire/Priceline catch?

johndeere
By johndeere,
in

So what are the pitfalls and/or risks of renting a car on HOTWIRE of PRICELINE? I found a rental rate on HOTWIRE (after I clicked on the link at betterbidding) for Thrifty Car Rental (Denver Int'l Airport) and it was $20 cheaper per day than the exact same car size on the Thrifty website. I mean, if they're giving you the name of the rental car company, what's the catch? Seems to good/easy to be true. It's not like booking a hotel where you don't know the the exact name or location of the hotel - a standard size car is a standard size car regardless of the company, right?

HOTWIRE shows both 'opaque' and 'retail' offers in their car rental search... usually the 'retail' rates are what you can get thru the rental website, but perhaps sometimes they're able to offer a better deal.

When you purchase a 'retail' listing like this it's very similar to booking a 'regular' rental on any other third party website, Expedia, Travelocity, etc.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

johndeere, I recently completed two rental reservations on HOTWIRE and received cars from Budget and Avis. Both rentals were about $40 less compared to making a reservation directly with the respective companies, and on each occasion it worked out fine. You will still be pressured into paying for an upgrade and taking out insurance, but tell the agent no thanks. PS, I have used HOTWIRE rates as a benchmark to start my PRICELINE bids, you can often undercut the HOTWIRE price by a few dollars. Good luck and please report back your success.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]