Priceline Hotel: 3* Philadelphia Downtown Sheraton Society Hill

mikkirm
By mikkirm,
in

New here; hope I'm doing this correctly. (I've been "lurking" for a couple of days.) Feel free to move if in wrong location, but it's kind of a general question, rather than specific bid question.

My question is: I am going to Philadelphia Sept. 30 - October 4, to attend a concert and some general sightseeing. Just learned the National Association of Broadcasters is also in town. :)

Do I need to adjust bids upward to get a room? If so, by how much (generally speaking)?

NOTE: I tried a couple of 4* bids, a bit on the low side, but not ridiculous (about average, from history on this board). No go. Same with a 2 1/2* bid. Has anyone else had success getting good rates on rooms this far out date-wise, when there is a convention in the area you are bidding on?

Thanks!

Dates: 9/30/03 - 10/4/03, 4 nights.

DT Phila., 4*, bid $50, rejected.

Added University, bid $60, rejected.

Then decided to drop to 2 1/2*. DT Phila., 2 1/2*, bid $45, rejected.

That was it. After my first two bids, I decided not to go higher (at least for now) on a 4*, so didn't try further, even though I had more free bids. After 2 1/2* was rejected, I didn't want to drop to 2*, or take a chance on another zone, so stopped there. I have time, so decided to wait it out for the 72 hours.

Like I said in my previous post, these are a bit on the low side, but not out of line from other winning bids I've seen for these levels and this area.

My guess is that a 4* will likely require a bid between $60-$90, a 3* probably somewhere between $40-$60 (but right now under $45 is obviously too low since your 2.5* bid would have been upgraded if it was acceptable). I wouldn't lower my criteria to a 2.5* at this point in the bidding process.

Given the prices i've guessed above, how high would you want to go for a 4* at this point and if unsuccessful, how high would you want to then go for a 3* (or would you just wait and re-try the 4* at a later date)? Let me know your thoughts on this and then i'll be able to post a detailed strategy for you.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotwire has a four-star at $74, so I wouldn't go any higher than that, obviously. My hope is to get a 4 star for between $60-$70. However, I would also be willing to bid 3 star for $50-$60. As long as it is downtown, the exact location isn't vital. I'm used to walking a lot when I travel, and taking public transportation.

Thanks for your help!!

The "challenge" with these kinds of situations is that some hotels may release blocks of unneeded rooms at the convention deadline, while others (especially the "official" hotels) might hold back rooms in order to handle late registrants.

In this case, the NAB Radio Show website shows a hotel registration deadline of August 27th. Therefore, it's *POSSIBLE* that some currently-blocked rooms may be released, but then again, there's no way to be sure.

The show's hotel booking page is at the link below:

http://www2.expobook.com/evt/evt_home.asp?eventid=34

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

When bidding 4* i count 7 re-bids, so i would:

Bid 4* at $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $67, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $69, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $71, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $73, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $74.

If the above fails, lower the star rating to 3* (where you have 3 re-bids) and...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60.

Let us know how it goes and/or you have any add'l questions.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, Thereuare (and all others who gave suggestions). I'll try that Monday evening, and see what comes up. Of course, I'll post the results here, one way or the other.

Got a hotel!

3*, DT Philadelphia, Sheraton Society Hill, $50 (9/30 - 10/4, 4 nights).

Okay, history first:

4*, Philadelphia Downtown, $65 - rejected

added University free bid, $68 - rejected

added Veteran's Stadium free bid, $71 - rejected

added Line District (?) free bid, $74 - rejected

Hmmph. :)

Started over at 3*:

3*, DT Philadelphia, $50 - accepted. Looks like a good hotel, in a good area. I'll post a review when I return (2 1/22 months from now!).

So, I'm all set! Thanks for your help, Thereuare!

Oops, I realize I forgot to add the taxes/fees and total to my original post:

Total offer price for 4 nights: $200

Taxes and Fees: $35.41

Total charges: $235.41

Hope this helps someone else.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]