WINNIPEG CANADA

bturner13
By bturner13,
in

I've heard recently that Winnipeg has gotten very expensive. I've even heard that there is a 1 to 1 rate for the US $.

This is confusing because I am noticing 3 * hotel going for $30/nite.

How would a visitor fare when it comes to food prices and site fees?

As always, Thanks! :)

Are they perhaps talking about extortionist shopkeepers who are charging the 1-1? Definitely avoid those - get some cash from the ATM when you arrive and use your credit cards.

I can't envision that Winnipeg would be that expensive - it's usually considered to be one of the cheaper cities in Canada. The US/Canadian exchange rate has worsened from the US point of view in the past year or so, but it's not so bad - today the bank rate is at $1 US = $1.395 CAD. And I think there are good Priceline rates available.

I've even heard that due to the West Nile virus they've done something about their horrific summer mosquito problem, so maybe you could even avoid being eaten alive :)

• 2 weeks later...

You're right....if any Canadian business charges a 1=1 rate that's highway robbery!!! My advice is to use a credit card whenever possible (credit cards give a good exchange rate plus you can always dispute the charges if problems arise). If you need physical Canadian currency, I recommend exchanging money either at the airport or at a Canadian bank. You can also exchange money at most Canadian hotels (call ahead first) but their rates vary. Some of the larger hotel chains offer competitive rates while others can really stiff you.

As always, ATMs are always a good backup but do your research to find out if your Credit/ATM/Debit cards are compatible with the Canadian ATM netowrks. Most American cards are.

Winnipeg is a fun city and the people are very friendly. I was there recently at the 2003 World Curling Championships and had a great time.

If you're planning on flying, the only US airlines that go to Winnipeg are Northwest (Minneapolis), United Express (Denver), and a codeshare with United/Air Canada (Chicago).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]