Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC: 8/10-8/11 and 8/13 - bidding advice needed

Optique
By Optique,
in

Hi, I'd be grateful to receive bidding help. I'm new to Priceline but have read all the tips and info on this site.

I need a room for 1 person in the Midtown area -- either Midtown West or could accept adjacent areas. The dates are two nights Wed 10th and Thursday 11th August, plus Sat 13th August.

It does not need to be the same hotel all three nights -- but should be the same hotel Wed to Thursday.

Max budget including all taxes is USD175 per night. Any less would be great!

I'm in the UK -- should I use the UK site or are there better prices avaiilable by booking the US site?

Also, I may have friends staying the same nights. They will be booking separately -- but how likely are they to get the same hotel as me if they follow my bidding strategy straight after me for the same dates?

Thanks! :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please post your maximum bid before taxes and fees.

We have seen simulatneous bids land different hotels while follwoing the same strategy... why don't you place all the rooms on the same bid and then just exchange the money between friends? (this will ensure that you're all at the same hotel)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I guess the top bid before taxes should be $150, or $160 absolute tops.

Thanks for the tip about placing all the bids on one credit card. In fact there could be as many as six rooms needed, but it is by no means essential everyone is in the same hotel.

BTW, have users had any particular problems using Priceline for business travel in the past? I can't see any reason why there should be...

At the 4* level yo have two re-bid zones, if you're not familiar with re-bidding please read RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board.

No problem using the opaque providers for business travel, but remember that your purchase if final (and non-cancellable) and for this reason it does not fit into the plans of some business travelllers (although for some the savings are so great that even if they cancel 20% of their stays they are still ahead of the game).

This is how i would recommend bidding for 8/10-8/12 (do not bid this for 8/13... please start a new thread for that date as it will involve a different strategy):

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select MTE and MTW..

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select UM/CPS and MTW..

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160.

Any questions let us know.

If the above fails, and lacking any alternate affordable plans, you may want to consider the Beekman tower where you can get a 1BR suite for $169/nite (no booking fee so it's only about $2 more per nite than your highest priceline bid above). This hotel is in the MTE zone (it's actually close to the river) and the reviews are excellent.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes and/or ask any questions that you may have.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]