Priceline Hotel: need advice for Amerisuites/Courtyard in Secaucus,

budgetseeker
By budgetseeker,
in

I've not used priceline/hotwire before and I need bidding advice for Newark - Meadowlands (Secaucus - North Bergen).

I need a hotel with bus stop right outside the hotel (or very,very near)so that it's safe for me to get back to the hotel after Broadway shows. I intend to stay 5 nights starting July 29.

I found Amerisuites and Courtyard by Marriott Secaucus to suit this criteria and that they are both 2.5*.

I prefer 2 beds. I phoned both hotels, Amerisuites is out of 2 beds during that period while Courtyard has 2 beds available.

(My first choice is Amerisuites because it has wireless internet access and complimentary breakfast but they are nice-to-have options only, not really necessary.)

Could you please advise me the bidding strategy for each of them?

Are they the only 2 priceline hotels with 2.5*?

Actually I don't mind amenities (or beds, even). Safety at night and distance from the bus-stop to hotel is the most important.

Thank you very much.

use the following list of ID'd hotels Priceline and Hotwire NJ properties

I know that if you use Hotwire, you may pay a bit more, but if you see a 2.5* hotel with the "suite" icon in the list of amenities, this should be the Amerisuites. The Prime Prime Suites, Embassy Suites hotel both have good access to bus transportation into the city. Have you also checked out Jersey City? this is the best location for ease of access into the city.

Thank you dahammer, you reminded me that I will get 2.5* or higher (instead of only 2.5*).

Is there any strategy or bid-price whereby I can avoid Prime suites as I see the reviews are not that good?

Is $55 and 2.5* a reasonable bid?

I choose Secaucus over Jersey City because I am only concerned with my return trips at night from Broadway shows Rent, Producers. They are near Port Authority, so I thought a direct bus trip to the entrance of the hotel is safe and convenient.

I read in this website that in Jersey City, Hyatt is hard to get and for the others you need to walk after getting off PATH. I am not comfortable walking at night with my teenage daughter.

I don't see any of Amerisuites, Courtyard, Embassy Suites, Prime Suites ID'ed in the Hotwire list.

I just checked Hotwire, no suites appear at this time.

Btw, just curious, any idea what is the Hotwire hotel in Secaucus-Meadowlands 2* $54

with kitchenette and laundry?

Thanks again.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I think the PRIME SUITES REVIEWS have been pretty good. Not sure from when the reviews you read were, but Priceline took over this property from Radisson about a year ago, so reviews much older than that may not be entirely applicable.

The 2* w/ Kitchenette and Laundry is most likley the Extended StayAmerica property as it has been reported with those amenties before, although i think the Homestead may be another possibility (not yet reported via Hotwire).

What type of budget so you have... summer in NYC is one of the least expensive times of year (notice i didn't say it was cheap) and given your concerns about being close to a bus stop (which you can't control when using Priceline) you may be much better off staying directly in Manhattan.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you very much, thereuare. I've bookmarked the link and will definitely use it if I 'm using Hotwire/PL.

I've been to Manhattan a number of times, so I am not going to do any sightseeing this time. During the 4 days, I intend to spend one full day at the MET, half day visiting relatives, and going to 3 broadway shows. My teenage daughter wants to shop for clothes in NJ (concentrated malls and no sales tax) as much as time allows.

So approx. 2 days in NYC and 2 days in NJ.

That's why I thought of staying in Secaucus for the whole trip. I don't want to move hotels for such a short stay, we have a lot of luggage. And I probably am going to keep the rental car, since a week's rental is equivalent to 4 days day rental.

Originally I thought of using Hotwire and aim for Crowne Plaza, they have bus stop #129 outside the door, but the last bus leaves PA 11:30pm, an hour earlier than #320. (I should be able to make it though.)

But then I realise PL prices are cheaper and 2.5* and above in your PL list all have bus stops right outside hotels.

Thanks.

I just stayed at the Extended Stay America in Rutherford, this was a 2* with Kitchenette and Laundry. This was a fairly new property, but very basic and rooms have only one bed. There is no bus service from this hotel and you would have to drive to a stop that is on Polito Ave, right in front of the Marriott Courtyard in Lyndhurst, NJ. I also stayed at the Prime Suites and my room was just fine, but I know some of the reviews on tripadvisor are a bit mixed. I would definately stay here again. This is a true suite hotel with two rooms and would be great for you and daughter. So when you bid for a 3* in this area, you might get either Crowne Plaza or the Prime Suites, you can't choose. Hotwire rates the Crwone Plaza as 3.5* I believe. There is also a Sheraton with the same ratings; Hotwire shows a 3.5* @ $84 for your dates of travel.

If you have a car and because you will need a room with two beds, you might just want to check out the Hampton Inn in Carlstadt, NJ (please use the Travel Links to Help Support BetterBidding shown in the upper right of this screen) the room rate is generally about $100 per night and there is direct bus service right in front of the hotel. This is either a newer hotel or has been recently refurbished.

Please let me know this is correct: all the hotels in Secaucus 2.5* or above in your PL ID'ed list (ie Crowne Plaza, Embassy, Prime Suites, Amerisuites, Courtyard) have a bus stop to NYC right in front.

I know there is always the chance of undiscovered hotels in the area, but the hit rate for one of the above hotels is very high.

NYC hotels are too expensive for me.

Is $60 2.5* Secaucus a reasonable bid?

Thanks.

I know the Prime Suites and the Crowne Plaza have bus either at the door or very close by, not sure of the others (call them and front desk will know immediately)

The Prime Suites may be the low acceptor in this group and i would suggest starting at $55 for a 3* property.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is a possibility of getting the 3*Sheraton Medowlands and NJ Transit just ended bus service that used to stop in front of the Sheraton. The hotel offers scheduled shuttle bus service to a bus stop in Secaucus where you could pick up the bus. Right next to the Amerisuites is a 3 level parking deck and it not only serves the hotel, but adjacent office buildings. I'm not sure how parking is monitored or if security can distinguish between a hotel guest, a visitor to the office building, or a bus passenger.

You need to let the board know what is your desired star level, your maximum bid and if you are willing to split your bid if need be; this may involve checking out and checking into a new hotel. This is a hassle, but not a big deal if you have a car. Also, get directions to the hotel directly from the hotel, avoid Mapquest and all the others as this area is somewhat confusing, and although you might be able to see your hotel, often you "can't get there from here" in these parts :)

Yes, I intend to bid only Secaucus-North Bergen. I phoned all 5 hotels and they have a bus-stop either outside or very near.

I do not mind star ratings nor amenities, I only don't want the 2* Days Inn because the bus stop is far away. So any in your list 2.5* or above is fine. (except there may be hidden unidentified hotels).

Thank you very much for your suggested starting bid. I would like to know the rationale behind bidding 3* $55. Is it because if it fails, I can always change the rating and submit a second bid "immediately"?

I didn't know that the Sheraton bus service had stopped, thanks for the info! (but that hotel is in the Meadowlands/Rutherford zone and i think the OP is currently only bidding Secaucus/North Bergen?)

I contacted the Homestead Suites and Sheraton for a recent stay and they told me the bus service was cancelled. Is there a NJ Transit Park and Ride location right near Rt. 1&9, Rt. 3 and Patterson Plank Road?

Is there a NJ Transit Park and Ride location right near Rt. 1&9, Rt. 3 and Patterson Plank Road?

Yes there is... but this area also has new train service from Secaucus into Manhattan (Secaucus is now a decent hub with connecting service) but i have yet to look into exactly where the train station is or how convenient it is to any of the hotels in the area.

I think this is going too far ... It is like doing research at Bell Labs or AT&T ... Let me just try it out to see what happens ...

I just bid on Secaucus - North Bergen for you on the July 29 the day you are going to bid at 2.5* with $45, and it was rejected.

So, I added Short Hill - Summit NJ which very hard to get anything as free rebid and increase to $50, and it failes also as you can see ...

"We're sorry, but we couldn't find a hotel willing to accept your offer of $50 for a hotel room in the Newark, NJ - Meadowlands area. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number"

So, I have set the "lower bound" for you on July 29, Friday ...

Then, I go ahead to change the day to July 30, Saturday and increase to $55 this time and bid again on 2.5* ... and it failed again as you can see

"We're sorry, but we couldn't find a hotel willing to accept your offer of $55 for a hotel room in the Newark, NJ - Meadowlands area. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number"

So, I guess you may need to bid above $55 to get anything at 2.5* or 3*

Excellient! But please forgive me, I always wanted to find the minimum ...

And, I just tried it again bidding July 15, 16 weekend, and repeated that $45, $50 and $55 and failed again

"We're sorry, but we couldn't find a hotel willing to accept your offer of $55 for a hotel room in the Newark, NJ - Meadowlands area. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number ..."

And, I went out my way to bid July 22, 23 weekend as well individually at $55 on 2.5* and above. Failed.

"We're sorry, but we couldn't find a hotel willing to accept your offer of $55 for a hotel room in the Newark, NJ - Meadowlands area."

So, I am pretty sure you won't get anything at the area for $55 for these days ...

Wow, 'Bidding', thanks so much for all your excellent research. I've been watching this thread like a hawk, because I will need a room in this area for a weekend in October.

One question: Does the NY Metropolitan area have 'seasonality' (is that a word?) I would think that summer time in general is more of a tourist time (even though NY can be miserable in the summer heat). Would prices tend to be a bit lower in the fall?

JB

True or false, it depends. I myself have found there are two types of hotels in the area. One is business hotel near corporate centers like hotel at Somerset NJ, Mount Laurel, NJ, ...etc. their weekday rates are skyrocket high and weekends are unbelivably low... Jersey City NJ hotels like Hyatt Regency is also like this.

The other type of hotel is in the tourist area like Atlantic City NJ or Pocono PA, where weekends are extremely high, yet weekdays very low, it is kind of reverse. There hotel also follow vacation season schedule, so I got $30 at Tropicana Atlantic City in winter ...

In side New York City, hotel seems to be always high since during weekdays, there are corporate travel, yet weekends seem to always have tourist...

If you are sure to be around in Octobor, I would say bid "early" will get you good price. I often try to get ONE YEAR schedule ahead and I was able to get very good price like $25 at Hyatt Cleveland OH, $37 at Hyatt Jersey City NJ (across river to Manhattan), $33 American Suites Princeton ...etc.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]