Trying to get a specific hotel

Nautica3
By Nautica3,
in

Okay, I'm just going to blurt out the details here--no need to be discreet, as far as I can tell.

I seriously doubt there's any way to pull this off, but figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

Here's the deal--I work in West Des Moines, IA, but live in St. Louis. So every week I drive up here (flight costs simply TOO high, no matter what), and every week I book a hotel room. Have been pretty successful for the past month or so in booking decent rooms for cheap.

Generally prefer to stay in 2.5* hotels, but am in the Candlewood Suites this week, which P/L lists as a 2*. It's actually VERY nice IMO, and I definitely wouldn't mind coming back here. However, I got this deal through Hotwire, not Priceline. And I don't see the CW listed on H/W for the next few weeks.

I'm afraid if I try P/L, I won't get the CW. You see, there's a local Fairfield Inn that's also a 2*, and pulls in a LOT of business because they'll accept P/L bids of $25/night--it's common knowledge. Now the Candlewood, being also a 2*, falls into the same category/location as the FF. I'm afraid that any bid I do, hoping for the Candlewood, will instead be assigned to the FF. Trust me, after having stayed at both, I'd MUCH rather stay at the CW. :)

Any ideas? If I bid higher for a 2*, do I have a chance that the CW will accept it, or will the FF snatch it and take more of my $$? Anyone know how P/L works in assigning hotels if >1 are willing to accept your offer? Or am I just SOL on this? :)

Nautica3

thereuare wrote a good summary here:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?act...ST&f=173&t=611&

The fact that CW is not listed on Hotwire makes the possibility of Priceline availability even more iffy (in my opinion).

Some people are willing to take the risk if they have a good idea of the Priceline price for each hotel - but they often fail and end up with the less-desirable one anyway, for more money.

But if CW is not available on HW - what would be your options other than taking your chances on Priceline?

thereuare wrote a good summary here:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?act...ST&f=173&t=611&

snipped...

But if CW is not available on HW - what would be your options other than taking your chances on Priceline?

Well, my other option would be to bid P/L at the 2.5* level, thus giving up on the CW but likely getting something else just as nice. Which is what I'll probably do.

The inherent issue here is the difference between P/L ratings and H/W ratings. P/L seems rather more restrictive on their ratings. I have stayed at the 2* Candlewood Inn and Clarion Hotel and Conference Center in West Demoines. H/W rates those two as 2.5*, and I tend to agree more w/ the H/W rating than the P/L rating. Of course, much of this is personal preference. But the fact that the CW is rated the same as the FF on P/L means I effectively can't bid on the CW using P/L without risking getting a much lower quality hotel (the FF).

Oh well, c'est la vie!

-N

All good info!! Does the Hotwire search not show any hotel at that class level for that week, or it just doesn't show the amenities that you know are associated with the Candlewood? (the CW could be avialable, but not shown due to Hotwire showing another hotel within that class). If there is no hotel within that star class shown, i would agree that it makes a CW Priceline win less likely.

I will also add....

-how do the rates for next week at the CW's website compare to their 'typical' rate (if you don't know their normal rate, try plugging in the same week for 1 week and 2 weeks into the future for comparison purposes). If they're the same, start checking the CW's site for 1 nite stays during the time period you're seeking and see if one nite shows up as "sold out" or at a higher rate than the other nites.

-you can also take this a step further and do Hotwire searches for part of the week for your upcoming stay... see if the CW shows up for segments of the stay, it may just be one nite that is messing everythng up and showing no availability (if you're lucky it'll be a nite at the beginning or end and you can switch hotels mid-week).

Let us know what you find with the above exercise.

If you're not loyal to any particular site, please consider starting our Priceline/Hotwire purchase at SavingsBarn.com

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is only one 2.5* entry listed for the week in question, and its amenities don't match up w/ the Candlewood. In fact, I tried last week and the CW did appear then, but it was too early IMO to go ahead and book the room, so I didn't. Now it's not there.

I *have* seen times when >1 hotels of the same level & area were listed on the H/W results page. At least, I think I recall seeing that.

As far as going to the CW homepage and checking their regular rates and availability...well, I'm too lazy to do that. :) And I definitely don't want to be bothered with checking out mid-week and moving to a different hotel. I'll pay more $/night just to avoid that!

I'll check H/W for the CW later this week--maybe it'll show up then!

-N

I *have* seen times when >1 hotels of the same level & area were listed on the H/W results page.  At least, I think I recall seeing that.

I haven't ever seen that (which isn't to say that you didn't).

The only exception to the my experience above is when selecting more than one zone.... Hotwire will show more than one hotel rated at the same quality level if they are in different sub-zones (ie- selecting both DM and WDM)

At least that's been my experience.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi N3 -

If you're going to be making your weekly trip on a consistent basis for a extended period, another approach is to go in and talk to the Candlewood's sales manager (or equalivent employee responsible for negotiated rates).

If you demonstrate (via past receipts etc), your ability to deliver lots of room nights, you and the sales manager should be able to negotiate a special rate.

This way, you are always certain that you'll have the CW, and the staff will learn your preferences etc.

The CW benefits because they know that an otherwise empty room/suite will be filled, and better for them, they don't have to split the revenue with PL or HW!

From your description of your stay patterns, I think it would be worth a shot.

Plus, you're protected if the CW decides to stop participating in HW and/or PL (even temporarily)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out

I would definately do this on an 'anonymous' basis, not getting into the discussion that you're used to getting their hotel via Priceline/Hotwire and would like to cut them out of the loop as well as guarantee not getting the Fairfield Inn. If the hotel doesn't do much Priceline business (and you represent the bulk of it) they could potentially raise their Priceline/Hotwire rates... knowing they've 'got' you.

I'd call up and tell the manager that you may have some extended work to do in the area and are trying to develop a relationship with a hotel in the area, blah, blah, blah.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]