BetterBidding in Washington Post

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

This line from the article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11660-2003Jul18.html) has to be an error: "... Priceline lists about 100 locales"

I practically think I've bid on 100 locales myself (well not quite, not by far). But the point is, there are way more than 100 different locales.

Edit: I guess what he is saying is that Priceline lists about 100 vacation locales for vacation packages, which is probably accurate.

I'm tempted to try the suggestion given to ask Priceline agents for advice as to what to bid. I'm curious as to what they would say.

Receiving advice on what to bid is only for the Vacation Package product. I don't think i'd waste my time with calling Priceline for help with that since even the article mentioned two very different suggested prices from two different customer service agents.

The vacation product may be right for some people, but i don't think i'd ever use it. With the Vacation Package you must agree to be willing to accept one connection each way, and that alone is a deal breaker for me. If i was willing to accept Priceline's flight terms, i think a better deal could be had bidding the flight and accomodations separately (although i'd be giving up hotel selection).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's an alright piece -- actually does a pretty good job of explaining some useful things for the uninitiated. I spent a long time with the author explaining rebids and going into greater depth than could ever appear in a Sunday paper (including how to figure free rebids when there aren't any zones without the quality level you're bidding for, as well as how Priceline's revenue model works). In the end, he used a pretty run of the mill bid of mine as an example. And by the way -- when he wanted to know the taxes and fees on the room, he just looked up the bid here on this website. :)

I was disappointed that it mostly focused on the Vacation Package product, when most long time users know that the 'real deal' is in the straight hotel product. I therefore would have prefered to see him bid separately for airfare and hotel, rather than use the combined vacation package product.

Thanks for pointing him in our direction :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]