Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (NMA) Sofitel

pamelajean
By pamelajean,
in

Please help me identify these Chicago hotels on hotwire! I used to be able to do this myself with 80% certainty but they've changed things up and it's harder!

:)

July 12-15, 2005

Magnificent Mile - Wacker Drive

4*Hotel - $186 a night - Restaurant , Pool, Fitness, Spa High speed Internet, Business Center (is this Omni?)

North Michigan Avenue - Water tower- Gold Coast

4 1/2*Hotel - $152 a night - Restaurant, Fitness Center, Business Center

4* Hotel - $ 89 a night - Resturant, Fitness Center, High Speed Internet access, Business Center (is this Millenium?) Is Millenium any good - I hear great and also run down?

Any hints on getting better rates than these? I do this every year and usually find a great 4* (Omni, Crown Plaza) for around 80 - but not having much luck this year!

Would I be better off on priceline? Want to be able to walk to EITHER Water tower place or to the Art Museum

Thanks so much! PJ

From reviewing the Hotwire list, I think these are your hotels:

4* Mag Mile/Wacker: W Lakeshore

4.5* NMA: Sofitel

4* NMA: could be either the Westin Michigan Ave. or the Omni Ambassador East (I'd guess the Omni for the price but you never know.)

My guess is that you can always do better on Priceline, perhaps somewhere closer to the $80 you're used to paying.

Thank you so much, lindabobhat you guys are so awesome!

Perhaps you can help me with one more thing - I love priceline for the bottom dollar prices - but I like hotwire for being able to choose a hotel I like better (newer, nicer, better location) through deduction (or your help).

Question: Is there anyway to get a "better" 4* hotel through priceline - or is it, as I assume,k just luck of the draw based on my bid.

I do read the posts - and see that lately 75 to 80 will likely get me the Hyatt Regency, Palmer House or Renaissance (but none of the posts are for my dates, so we will see).

We just bought ourselves a 3 night stay at the Sofitel - The North Michigan Avenue-Water Tower-Gold Coast listing of a 4 1/2 * hotel with the following amenities: Resturant, Fitnes Center, Business Center. Our resulting price is $143 a night after using the discount code. Since this hotel is selling for $229 for these nights elsewhere we are very pleased!

After many failed attempts to win our "up to $95 4* hotel" in Chicago (will detail these on priceline board) we gave up on priceline and splurged on the 4 1/2* Sofitel (#1 favorite Chicago Hotel according to travel advisor).

Thanks to all on the board who helped with this. I linked through savingsbarn to make this purchase.

How about those Spurs! :)

Signed,

San Antonio Girl

Every year we go to Chicago for 3 -4 days on our way to Michigan (for family reuinion on Higgins Lake!) Every year until this one I was able to book through priceline or hotwire an under $80 hotel at the 4* level. This year it just didn't work.

Using thereuare's helpful strategies I bid NMA, at 60, Rebid adding Midway at 65, adding Skokie at 70, closed the browser

then.... I bid Loop at 65, Rebid adding Midway at 70, adding Skokie at 75, closed the browser

then....I bid both NMA and Loop at 80, Midway, at 85 and Skokie at 90 - no luck

72 hours later bid up to $105 in a similar strategy, deciding that I didn't want to pay $110 for the some of the hotels that were possible through priceline and so I went to Hotwire and won the Sofitel for $132 after discounts ($152 list a night). Details of this win posted under hotwire thread.

My Question: If I had bid earlier would I have likely done better? I know this is a med-big convention week (not as big as the week before) but Palmer House is full except for upgraded rooms, Hyatt Regency full. Next year strategy in the making!

Thanks! PJ

I've noticed with Chicago in the past year that PL availability is getting tighter and rates are getting higher the closer to my trip. So for Chicago I have started following Theruare's advice - bid early as soon as when your dates are firm.

I've seen other experienced users who recommend checking with convention web sites to see when blocked rooms are released. That's really time consuming.

I have another hotel source for Chicago hotels only when PL and HW aren't working for you. It's hot Rooms

Congratulations on your success... sounds like you'll have a great time at the Sofitel.

Can't really say if you would have done better if you had bid earlier as i don't konw where rates were previously. As per my thoughts in in the link above, if you bid early and don't overbid, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the follow-up and updates during your bidding process... and of course thank you for using the SB links to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]