Clarification please on how to bid for a car

MPileggi
By MPileggi,
in

Hi everyone,

I have never bid for a rental car before (have been very successful with hotels). I will be on Oahu and the Big Island in October. Do I bid based against the base daily rates that are advertised (not adding fees)?

I'm interested in an economy car for Honolulu and a 4WD for the Big Island.

Thank you!

Monica :)

PS: I looked on several car rental web sites. The best price so far for the Big Island for a SUV (4WD?) is $284.90 plus all the taxes/fees for a total of $398.92. This is for pickup in Hilo around 11:30AM on the 19th of October and drop off on the 25th in Kona at 9:00am, 7 days.

Do I just take the $284.90 = $40.70 and bid lower against that price?

thanks!

I would like to go ahead and bid on a car for Honolulu airport, October 15 - 19th. I'm familiar with bidding for a hotel and their "free zones" but I need your advise how to bid for an economy car (or compact as second choice).

I would like to pay $15-$16/day.

Thanks!

Monica

I'm not able to "name your own price" for a Car Rental from Honolulu... which it would seem to me that there is no opaque inventory (as it automatically diverts to the 'shop and compare' screen). I would just book the above from your bank and if the above is cancellable, see if Priceline offers opaque bidding closer to your arrival date.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm not able to "name your own price" for a Car Rental from Honolulu... which it would seem to me that there is no opaque inventory (as it automatically diverts to the 'shop and compare' screen).  I would just book the above from your bank and if the above is cancellable, see if Priceline offers opaque bidding closer to your arrival date.

I found out you can still "name your own price" by adding "Oahu" rather than HNL (airport code), then choosing HNL. So, could you please help me with a bidding strategy? Do I start with economy, then compact, or the other way around? If I had to add a third type of car, do I add an larger/more expensive type knowing I wouldn't it (say convertible)?

Thank you,

Monica

I found out you can still "name your own price" by adding "Oahu" rather than HNL (airport code), then choosing HNL.  So, could you please help me with a bidding strategy?  Do I start with economy, then compact, or the other way around?  If I had to add a third type of car, do I add an larger/more expensive type knowing I wouldn't it (say convertible)? 

Thank you,

Monica

First off, I agree with theruare, I think your Avis deal is a good one, you may just find that is the best you'll get. If you want to underbid it, it is still worth a shot.

Rental car bidding is different from the hotel bidding, you are only bidding on one type of car at a time, not adding car types like you can add hotel star levels to a bid. For example, you could bid $15/day for a compact. After you enter your bid, you can see the cost including fees by proceeding to the next screen where you would verify your credit card. The total cost will be listed on that page. Compare that to your total cost from Avis before deciding to proceed. If the bid is not accepted, you could try a larger or smaller car and increase the bid amount. Or you could wait your timeout period and keep trying for a compact. For rental cars you have to wait seven days before rebidding, but you do have lots of time until your trip.

Hope this helps a little. Like you've probably seen elsewhere, Priceline is not the greatest for rental cars, but sometimes can give you a deal.

Thank you so much for the information! This helps me. I do think the Avis is a good deal but figure since I have plenty of time I could try priceline. At least I could cancel Avis if I needed to.

I'm still checking prices for the Big Island since I'm doing a one way rental. I've read that one should have a 4WD and prices for this type is expensive!! I might have to just bite the bullet.

Thanks again!

Monica

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]