Priceline Hotel: San Diego 4* 7/29-7/30

norwegianwife
By norwegianwife,
in

I believe the Gaslamp District is in the (Downtown and Harbor Island) zone, but do note that this zone is much larger than the Gaslamp and you could end up anywhere in the zone (not necessarily in the Gaslamp). Is that ok?

If not, Hotwire recently subdivided their San Diego zone and now have a zone called the "Gaslamp Quarter"... perhaps that is more of where you want to be?

Not sure how much acual location is to you.

Please let us know which of the routes you'd like to go and we'll advise accordingly. Also, is this a 2 nite stay or one?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

FYI : I'm attempting to book a hotel in either the Coastal or Hotel Circle area for 7/28-7/31, and it's been tough. I've gone as high as $80, 3* in Hotel Circle and $105 4* in Coastal, and come away with nothing as of last Thursday or Friday. I've used Priceline to book in Long Beach a couple of times without difficulty. I haven't tried bidding in about 4 or 5 days - maybe something's available now. :)

I believe Street Scenes 2005 is in town that weekend, but I can't imagine that would slam all the hotels. :) Good luck.

thereuare, thanks for the great site, btw.

Thanks hoopsfan and Thereuare! Our main purpose of going to San Diego is to go to the zoo. We are driving from Vegas, sleeping in the hotel, getting up and checking out, going to the zoo and driving up to LA...So, I think, since availibility seems to be tight for these days, and we just need a place to sleep, we will find a Hampton Inn or something along the drive from Vegas and just crash there for the night! Are there any zones in San Diego that are covered on the drive in from Vegas?

ok, we are going to go ahead and bid for a 3 star in the mission valley area. Our main objective is to have a place to crash on the drive in from Vegas, get a good nights sleep and check out the next morning. Would love not to spend more than 50 BEFORE taxes. Any sugestions for bidding strategy for this one? Thanks Everyone!

Two of the hotels sold-out and one has higher than usualy rates, but i would try this, where you use your two re-bid zones...

Select 3* Mission Valley...

Bid $41, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $44, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Mission Valley and re-bid zone2...

Bid $47, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $50.

Let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have done a little more research, and I am not sure that 50 a night before taxes is a realistic expectation for san diego in the summer????? What do yall think??

I checked rates at the La JOlla Hyatt and Islandia Hyatt and they are going for 229 and 299 a night respectively....

Any ideas what a realistic bid would be for one night in San Diego?

The only important thing for us is CLEAN, SAFE and easy to get to the zoo!

If you are driving from Vegas to San Diego, you'll be going south on the 15 all the way. On a Friday, there may be traffic, and it could be quite a long drive. Although you may want to be close to the zoo when you wake up, since the rates are so high in San Diego that night, you might want to consider staying somewhere off the 15, get up earlier, and drive the rest of the way in the morning. You should start by booking a cancellable back-up. Here's two suggestions: There's a new Residence Inn in Corona that's having a Marriott Rewards member special of $99 (code M11- but you have to input your member number), cancel up to 6pm day of. Further down the 15, just west off the 78, is the Hampton Inn San Marcos- it's going for $94.50 for two queens AAA, and they do a 6pm courtesy hold. By booking a back-up, you are then free to continue to try to bid for a hotel closer to the zoo, yet you'll have a place just in case. Availability on Priceline may not be until closer to your dates, if at all, so be patient. Good luck!

P.S. Here's why rates are high: http://street-scene.com/

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts! Based upon the fact that we merely need a place to stay for one night, I think we are going to take Aldo's advice and find something along the way from Vegas and stay the night and get up the next morning and hit the zoo and then on the LA..........

So, see you all in the LA thread! We need a place there!!!! Thanks everyone! will keep you posted as our trip develops!

A year a go you could have won this hotel for $50-$70 per night but prices have really gone up in SD. This is a great hotel and most of the time you can find street parking and save some $$.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]