A little advice about 2 vs 3 vs 4 star hotels

cbmtrx
By cbmtrx,
in

We usually seek out easy 2-3 star deals on Priceline using the excellent betterbidding.com website as a guide. Recently we managed to reserve a room at a 4-star Marriott hotel in Paris for a super low price, which was cool, but there were a few surprising--and important--differences between a 4 star hotel and the usual suspects.

1. At a 4 star hotel, everything costs money if not more money, including internet access (at Holiday Inn, they often have a free kiosk in the lobby, for example) because people who stay at 4 star hotels usually have money to spend or it's on the company card;

2. Breakfast is not just NOT included, it is exorbitantly expensive (12-17 euros per person, plus tip...that's about $60 for 2 people) and most other hotels in the area are priced similarly, so you're stuck;

3. This 4 star hotel did not have a pool. Amazing, but true;

4. The room itself was not actually all that better than a 3 star one; bigger TV, maybe a little newer and more polished but otherwise identical, and service was basically the same.

Moral of the story: don't aim too high or you end up paying full price anyway.

Hopefully this is helpful info for bidders!

I'm always amazed that at a Hampton Inn you get the Wi-Fi and continental breakfast included, but a Hilton charges for it. IMO, the major "upgrade" when you book a 4*+ hotel is the actual bed and bedding. They often seem to be significantly nicer, but for the cost, I always wonder myself if it's worth the extra cost and other add-ons.

...don't aim too high or you end up paying full price anyway.

Not really... you may end up paying just as much as if you had stayed at a lower rated property, but you still do get a deal for the quality of hotel you bid for. Even if you paid full price for a 4* hotel, all of the additional amenities would still cost extra.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

2. Breakfast is not just NOT included, it is exorbitantly expensive (12-17 euros per person, plus tip...that's about $60 for 2 people) and most other hotels in the area are priced similarly, so you're stuck;

I enjoyed your comments, but wanted to suggest some options for your #2. It has been my experience that if I just walk outside and walk around a block or two, there are bakeries, cafes, kiosks, or at least something for a quick and simple breakfast. It really doesn't matter what country.

Following my nose usually finds me a bakery, and they often also have coffee/tea.

Back-tracking when I start seeing people carrying grocery bags or other food usually leads me to a grocery store or kiosk. Particularly if I see several of them in succession. Or just asking the food carrier. Even without the language, I've gotten information just by stopping the person with a smile and pointing at the grocery bag/food with a shrug and a puzzled please-help-me look. I have to admit that as a grandmother I really don't look threatening, and people will indeed usually stop a minute and try to help.

A morning line-up at a little hole-in-the wall is often the indication of a good quick inexpensive breakfast.

All those clerks and policemen and other actual working people are getting their bite to eat somewhere. The places are often tucked between those big hotels or on the side streets.

And that 4* often has coffee/tea making equipment in the room to get you started.

All part of the adventure. I don't think I've ever bought breakfasts in those big hotels. I did find probably the finest free buffet breakfast I've ever seen at a 4* in Warsaw. Sometimes ....

Romelle

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting post.

We usually stick to just 4 star hotels because it is our experience that there is less chance of ending up in a dump.

Having said that, we once stayed in the Luxor (when it was a 4 star) which was a complete dump. And, one of our best hotel experiences ever (in value for money) was at a 3 star Courtyard by Marriot in Flagstaff.

Our general rule is when we are visiting a city with the purpose of exploring the city, I will do either a 3 or 4 star. If we are visiting a place like Cancun, we shoot for Resort or 5 star if they are going at a good price.

The Conga Line Never Stops!

• 1 month later...

there is no rule that you must dine on site or use anything else the hotel charges money for. Not everyone has to use the internet on vacation or eat breakfast, none of it is free at other hotels, just built into the price. Plus as others have stated part of traveling is venturing out of the hotel and experiencing dining at other restaurants.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]