ORD to SJO. Buy now or wait?

boegy3
By boegy3,
in

Hello,

I'm relatively new to the world of priceline bidding, but I have used it before for bidding on hotels. I have read quite a bit on it and I understand how it works. The thing is that i'm not sure if I should use it for this trip:

I'm hoping to use it now too to bid on (2) tickets to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) from Chicago Ohare (ORD) in November. I'd prefer to leave on the 18th (which unfortunately is a Friday) because I'd really like to be there by 4pm on Saturday because of a conference. I can probably also leave on Thursday (17th). In terms of coming back, December 4th would be the best date, maybe, maybe December 5th.

What would you recommend? I know that in order to bid you have to wait until the last week or so before the departture.... i'm just nervous that the seats might get full and I might not be able to get a ticket at a reasonable price. Would you buy it now for ~550 or wait and hope for a better price (aka risk it)?

Any advice for a noob?

Sincerely,

Bogdan

You don't need to wait until the last week to bid on any PL trip, airfare or hotel. Depending on your ability to make connections and possibly have up to a 4 hour wait between connections, you can start bidding now. SJO has somewhat limited service from ORD even with connections, so I'd wait to see what the moderators have to say. They are excellent on their advice. What's the lowest price trip you have found on any retail site?

Checking PL retail and Orbitz sites after posting, you can get fairly reasonable connections in the $639 R/T range. Out Aeromexico, back US Airways. If those work for you, I'd look at bidding much less than $550 R/T as your outbound and return flight departures aren't guaranteed as to times of departure. Good luck!

I'd prefer to leave on the 18th (which unfortunately is a Friday) because I'd really like to be there by 4pm on Saturday because of a conference.
How long is this flight, as it certainly seems do-able... are there any flights leaving on the 17th which don't arrive until after 4pm the following day?
I know that in order to bid you have to wait until the last week or so before the departture...
Not sure why you think this but i would NOT be waiting for the last minute to bid on airfare.
Would you buy it now for ~550 or wait and hope for a better price (aka risk it)?
Is $550 the price you would bid OR is this the best available rate of a conventionally booked ticket? What is the best price you're able to find for this route on dates which meet your criteria, and please break the ticket price down by base fare and fees/taxes.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is a $457 with lousy connections - Spirit - Nov 17 - Dec 4. There also is a $511 with good connections - Spirit - Nov 17 to either Dec 4 or 5.

I used matrix.itasoftware.com. You can't book from it, but usually can find someplace to actually book things you find there.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]