Priceline Hotel: A shot in the dark? Bed Bug Free Zones in NYC?

lindmar
By lindmar,
in

I'm paranoid of bedbugs. :)

I have to travel to NY in October and am looking for a bedbug free hotel/zone.

I checked all the 4 star hotels out listed in the New York City (Empire State Building) list and none of them have reports of BB (yet) Any of the Downtown areas should be fine, just want a bug free hotel at a decent price. Is that too much to ask? :-)

What would be a decent bidding strategy/price? I need to be in NYC for a Saturday/Sunday for sure and maybe Monday night.

Happy to click the BetterBidding PRICELINE links for some advice.

Please start by following-up your previous Priceline Chicago thread with whatever you ended up doing for that stay.

While bed bugs are real, i personally feel reports are a bit over-rated and at the first mosquito bite from being outside or unhappy guest (for some unrelated reason) they claim 'bed bugs'.

However, as this appears to be a concern of yours, why not book with HOTWIRE where you can take an educated guess as to the hotel you may likely receive, and therefore research before your purchase to make sure you're comfortable with the hotel you think you may receive?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Your thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Priceline bids are totally opaque. You bid a zone and star rating and you've booked yourself a hotel if the "price is right." What Thereuare was saying regarding Hotwire is that you can research star level compared to the ammenities listed on the Hotwire "opaque" hotel offer and come up with a very educated guess as to the specific hotel you'd be bidding on. In that way, you'd be able to be more comfortable with the specific hotel you would receive prior to actually purchasing it. No guarantees, of course, but the moderators are awfully good at what they do and have a high likelihood of pinpointing the exact hotel you'd be bidding on through Hotwire. BTW - I do agree that I prefer PL over HW, but in this instance you may be better off with the HW bidding scheme.

I understand the opaque'ness and how it works. But I'm curious if you have any data or updates to the suggested lists of hotels/per zones..

What I'm saying is I've looked at all the 4-star in a certain zone , they all check out and sounds good, I'd take any of them.

So now I'm considering a bidding strategy and suggestions.

I'll look at hotwire a bit further though - thanks for your tips.

4+ stars - budget $150-$250???

zones - Not really sure. Times Square/Midtown East/Soho/Etc..

I have to be in the Union Square area for a day and have another day to see as much as possible. Don't mind cabbing around.

Want to check out the Ground Zero/times square/empire state or whatever the heck I have time for :-)

I have to travel to NY in October and am looking for a bedbug free hotel/zone.

I travel with a roll of 4" wide double faced carpet tape and set up a perimeter on the mattress, so far this has worked for me. Additionally, I prefer tonic with quinine and gin in the summer and I have yet to contract Malaria.

Is ESB the only zone you're been bidding? Best rate i see for a 4* hotel in the ESB zone is just over $300/nite... what hotel(s) are you finding in the ESB zone at ~$250?

As well, on HOTWIRE i'm seeing what i believe to be the Kitano for $216/nite, which is less than you have already bid... is this property not acceptable to you?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]