Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (Loop) Palmer House Hilton

hilltopfamily
By hilltopfamily,
in

In advance I'd like to thank anyone who is kind enough to respond to my plea for assistance~~~I will really appreciate the help! I'm a big planner, but this one is proving to be too big a challenge for me! :)

I want to take my 3 kids to Chicago ( the 14 year old has mobility difficulties---she walks short distances but does well with wheelchair for longer distances) and my hubbie can't make the trip. Looking potentially at June 23 through June 27th, flying in to Ohare. Looked at hotels in downtown area and looks like that may be out of my reach ($200-400 per night, yikes! wish I could find a less expensive hotel in that area! anyone with ideas on that? ).

Main question---is it feasible to stay somewhere other than "the loop" or Michigan Ave. area (as a more affordable option) and use only public transportation to get around? If so, what area/hotels would you advise? Another question: if I take her wheelchair, are the "El" and the buses w/c accessible? For instance, if I got a hotel in the Ohare area, could I get to public transportation to get into the tourist areas each day and back again to hotel each night, or is this too ridiculous to consider? :) Things I'm considering us taking in so far: Navy Pier, Sears Tower, American Girl store, Museum of Science & Industry, Zoo, hmmmm...what am I forgetting? thanks!

The train from ORD to "downtown" is about an hour.

Here is a list of "accessible" train stations: Chicago Train Accessibility

I think that is the information you need, but if you need additional help let us know.

If you'd like to move forward let us know and we'll help with the bidding/purchasing process.

EDIT TO ADD: i'm sure getting around with three kids is going to be difficult enough, but if you are able to SPLIT YOUR BID you can get the first two nites on the Mag Mile for about $100/nite... you could stay there to make things a bit 'easier' and then switch to a less expensive perimeter location for the last two nites when rates go up substantially in the downtown area. Let us know what your thoughts.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK, more info....

I believe you can get the same hotel in downtown Chicago for about $100 the first two nites, and then $150 for the second two nites.... and in all likelihood not have to change hotels at all.

If that's in your price range let us know and we'll explain further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK---now you're talking my kind! I can handle those prices to stay on Magnificent Mile. $100 1st 2 nights and $150 the next 2 would be doable~~~tips on how to proceed?

If the train is an hour from ORD, that might be much for us for do on a frequent basis, and would mean we wouldn't be able to pop back to the hotel for a rest break without a lot of hassle, so again that Mag. Mile sounds like the better option.

Now I'll go and look at your link about train accessibility~~~thanks so very much for all your help!

If you go to Hotwire and search for 6/23-6/25, 1 adult and 3 children, you'll see a 4* hotel in the MagMile-Wacker Dr zone for ~$106/nite (take note of the amenities)

Then do another search for 6/25-5/27 and you'll see what appears to be the exact same hotel offered at ~$150.

If you search for the complete stay this hotel(s) doesn't appear at all, so you need to split it as such. Odds favor that this is the same exact hotel, but there is always a slight chance that you'll have to change hotels.

Also, if you've never use Hotwire before you can use the discount code "GIFTCARD06" at check-out for $10 off per nite (it's for first time customers, so should only work on one of your purchases)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

thanks so much for the assist! :) major snafu in plans today---fell and broke my dominant hand/finger :) so now may need to consider waiting until july. yikes---i was all set to book. i think i'll go right now and look at other dates for possibilities. thanks for the help---it will still be useful as i do not plan to cancel, maybe just slightly postpone or delay it.

any times in july to avoid? except of course over vthe 4th---won't even consider that.

(sorry for bad typing, not good as a leftie!)

thanks for the well wishes I'm not giving up! Now I'm thinking about 7-14 thru 7-18 since I can get really great airfare then plus heal my hand a tad bit.

question before I go muchfurther....As described earlier we're looking to take in the sites via public transport (no car rental) AND/or cabs so advice requested PLEASE on best area for us to stay in TO GET to CTA. SHould I stick with the loop, mag mile, NMA/gold coast, or south loop? Which of these areas would be most/least convenient for museums, navy pier, Sears tower, and shopping at American girl. We will also want to check out the beach...(thinking I'm trying to fit in too many things here :) LOL)

4* Mag Mile/Wacker best value, July 14-18

Help please id'ing this property~~~if anyone has idea of what it is. goes for great price of $165 per night ammenities list: hotel with restaurant, pool, fitness center, spa, hi-speed internet, business center. Based on guesses here and if it is in good proximity to CTA, I'm ready to book. thanks very much! :)

am taking your advice and looking to mag mile area. just posted question regarding a 4* listing but I realize I posted incorrectly---I was looking at hotwire hotel listings and made the big mistake of posting it on that forum, not here. can my post/question get moved or should I repost on the correct forum so very sorry about that! (still bad typing as a leftie who is usually a rightie :) )

Actually, I didn't have to look far - on your same Hotwire search there is a 3.5 star hotel in the NMA zone for $154 with amenities of Restauant/Pool/Fitness/High Speed Internet/Tennis/Business. I think this is the Radisson Hotel & Suites. It is a much better location (just off Michigan on Huron Street.) Do you think this would suit your needs? Here's a link to the hotel's webpage so you can find out more:

http://www.radisson.com/hoteldirectory/hot...D06090506100510

thanks a bunch for the advice. the W lakeshore is likely a great place, but you're advice about it not being as convenient for us is much appreciated. Wondering how likely it is that the Radisson is the 3.5* listing? Ah...isn't that what we'd all like---a bit of certainty before booking a property :)

The Radisson looks like it would suit our needs---primary needs being location w/ easy access to CTA and secondly---affordable (although a little less $$ would be desired) without being unsafe and dirty/dumpy. Any further thoughts on if this is Radisson? Hotel list here on this board says it is thought to list with this ammenity list.

Question for you - how important is a pool to you? I would assume since you have kids that it's on your priority list (but only 'cause it would be on mine.) The reason I ask is that almost all the other hotels I've found in about the same price range don't have a pool. I guess my thinking is that if a pool is high on your list, you might want to take a chance on this.

Perhaps thereuare can comment on the possible amenities mentioned for this property on the hotel list and give you a little more certainty. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised last time I was "certain" of the hotel I was purchasing - I thought I was getting the Hyatt Regency on Wacker and ended up with the Westin River North. You never really know with Hotwire, as star ratings and amenities can always change. Personally, I've never been disappointed with any 3.5 or 4* purchase I've made on Hotwire.

It is listed as 'believed to be...' because the user in this HOTWIRE CHICAGO post didn't include the amenities provided before purchase. I likely did a search for their dates after posting and noted the amenities of the same star rated hotel which was similar in price.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a week in Chicago with an 11 yr old grandson and would have killed to have stayed in the city. Driving in and out was a bear due to the Blues Festival. Check on the events page for Chicago to give you a clue. You will not be able to be near all the sites you are interested in. The Museum of Science and Industry is way away from the rest of the stuff. The coal mine is the big draw - one hr wait on a weekend! The buses up Michigan Av are great but I have no idea how they handle handicapped. You will want to take your kids to Millennium Park and let them play in the new fountain. We went in and kicked water at each other but it was so hot out that we did not mind at all being a little wet. On the other hand, we did not go under the fountain and douse ourselves since we did not have bathing suits with us. Another great view, besides the Sears Tower, is the Hancock Observatory. We had great advice about seeing them after 4 PM - no wait. The Hancock has a Skywalk where you can actually walk outside! The Sears Tower is a bit out of the way but Hancock is right on Michigan. Cabs were expensive because of the slowness of traffic on Michigan.

Thanks, 7Continent for the recent info. Sounds like you had a great visit! I have made final plans, which differ a bit from my original plans. Due to hand problems ( :) ) and schedule difficulties we ended up with best deal on dates of 7/7 through 7/11. Excellent airfare via Southwest, plus ended up going with Hotwire (thank you kind people here for helping!) and got the Palmer House for I believe $92 per night + taxes.

Now, I need to investigate taking the "El" from Midway airport to the Palmer. Looks like "El" is right by Palmer House Hilton (which was one main reason for my booking this one plus price for time frame, it has a pool, and the lobby looks beautiful). Kids are interested in Sears Tower, because of it being either the tallest, or the 2nd tallest, building in the world. I understand the views may be better from Hancock, but it wouldn't carry the bragging rights! Do you recommend going there after 4:00 also? We are planning on seeing the Millenium Park, so thank you for the info on the fountain~~~sounds fun! I hope to rope the kids into visiting the Art Institute, which *I believe* is right there at Grant Park and Millenium Park. I am anxious to see the impressionists.

Do people here recommend taking the "El" or a taxi to the Museum of Science & Industry? Especially since my daughter can't easily walk very lengthy amounts (such as greater than 3 blocks). I'm still trying to decide how and when we'll use the wheelchair but I'm sure we'll find out pretty quickly how her tolerance is once we start our site seeing and I expect we may use it most of the time. And back to 7Continent---did you take your 11 year old to Body World exhibit there? I'm a health care professional and very interested in this exhibit, but wondering how kids 8 & up do with this or do they get "grossed out"? I'm not too excited about an hour wait for the coal mine exhibit but I bet my kids will like it, so we'll just have to wait it out! Did they have the Submarine exhibit going?

Other touristy things we're going to try to do besides Museum of Science & Ind., Sears Tower, and the Art Institute are (time and energy permitting): Navy Pier, possible lake boat ride, Federal Reserve Bank, American Girl Place, Lincoln Park and the Zoo there, and trying Chicago pizza and hot dogs. Don't really think we can fit in Field museum, Shedd, or Adler this trip~~~not enough time for everything~~~ we'll just have to make another trip :) Thanks everyone for the help I've gotten on this trip planning; I appreciate it greatly.

Can you please add the star rating, zone, and amenities of the Palmer House that you won... you can still view this information (as well as the price before taxes and fees) by going to Hotwire and clicking on the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thanks!

Certainly!!! Very glad to oblige, and thanks again for everyone's help---I really got a good deal and felt confident about the hotel prior to booking.

Got the Palmer House Hilton, 3.5 stars for $94. per night totaling (with taxes) $437.95 for 4 nights July 7 with checkout on the 11th. Amenities were: restraurant, pool, fitness center, and business center. And it was in the Chicago Loop area.

It is not practical to use the L (or some combination of L and buses) to get to the Museum of Science and Industry. Maybe you can catch a bus downtown; I'm not sure. OTOH, the Art Institute will be only a couple blocks away.

As for getting in from MDW, one option is to take the Orange line all the way in to either Adams or Madison. Neither of these stations is wheelchair accessible, but there is no changing trains and you are only a block or so from either station to the rear entrance to the Palmer House.

The CTA system map makes it look like you can change from Orange to Red at Roosevelt, then take the Red line to one of the accessible stations in the Loop (Jackson or Washington; Monroe is listed as not accessible but the entire downtown Red Line is actually one big long platform). However, this transfer is not intuitive for an out-of-towner, because the Orange line is aboveground and the Red is underground at Roosevelt.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]