Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (ESB) Hotel Chandler

gorp512
By gorp512,
in

Hi All,

Firstly, let me say hello as this is my first post here. Secondly, I must offer a giant Thanks as this board has proved to be valuable in my search for a hotel room in NYC for late September. My girlfriend and I (both students) are planning a trip to New York from 9/24-9/26 for the Le Grand Fooding Event in Chelsea. We are both students and are obviously watching what we spend. Have been looking at the Doubletree Metro and maybe even the Hudson through a flash sale. Looking to spend around $550 if we can. Although it does make me a little sick to spend a months rent for two days, we don't ever get out like this and want to have a good weekend. So my questions are, what should be the first thing I do in my bidding to get a decent room at a decent hotel? Should I start at the top and work my way down as far as stars go? I have major issues with cleanliness, so I don't want to look into hostels and the like. Should I be able to get a room at a chain for this price? Looking to stay anywhere really as we want to get out in the city a little bit anyway. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Let me think out loud as what i see as a few of your options and you can let us know your thoughts...

A 4* hotel like the Indigo in Chelsea will cost about your full $550 budget... a 3*/3.5* might be had for ~$225/nite.

Alternately you could stay in Hoboken-Jersey City at a 4* hotel for $135/nite. You do lose a little convenience and the 'buzz' of NYC, but the 4* hotels in the JC area are relatively new and well kept, and you could commute to Manhattan via the PATH train which takes about 15 minutes and runs 24/7 (although very late at nite, 2am-6am it may run only every 30 minutes... other times fairly frequent)

Obviously Manhattan is a bit more convenient, but the 4* hotels in Jersey City-Hoboken are quite nice and offer some significant savings which you may be able to use that money elsewhere to do something fun to make your NYC trip more memorable.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise based upon your preferences.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks! I am looking to stay in New York proper and not really a burb. I would LOVE the Hotel Indigo. It is right near where I need to be for my event ( I have tickets to a late night seating and will be done near 1 am, so the location is perfect). Is there a way to zero in on a hotel like that with my search options? Thanks so much!

If you search HOTWIRE for your dates there is a 4* hotel in the Chelsea zone for $266/nite with:

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

This matches previous reports for the Hotel Indigo so that would be my best guess for this one. You can try bidding on PRICELINE for a better price, but then you're subject to any hotel in the zone and there is no way to try to target the Indigo.

Let us know if you want to try for the above OR how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I found a 3.5 * on Hotwire for 224 per night in Midtown East. Internet, Restaurant, Fitness Center, and Business Center. Any idea what this could be? Is there anyway I could possibly win a bid for a 4* for 225 per night in Chelsea/Midtown/or Soho on Priceline? I would still like to spend 500-550 for the stay, all fees/taxes included. Thanks!!

Also, I know it isn't a science, but on the calendar of wins I found someone got a 4* of the Marriot in Soho for 183 per night. Any tips on how to land a similar deal? Looking through locations, etc. I wouldn't mind staying in SoHo, but here is my list of where I would like to stay in order of desire.

1) Chelsea

2) MSG-Convention Center

3)Empire State Building

4)Hell's Kitchen

5)Central Park South

6)Midtown West

7)Midtown East

8)Upper West Side

As you can see, I am pretty flexible with where I stay as long as I can get the most for my money. Anyway I could find a 4* for under 200 in my top five? Thanks!

Sorry to kind of hijack my own topic, but I found (what I think) is a great deal on (also what I think) the Holiday Inn Express MSG via HW. $169 per night for $410 total. It says 3 star Chelsea-MSG with all the amenities that are listed for the HI Express. Will I find a better deal than this?

PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper then HOTWIRE, but with PRICELINE you need to be able to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating you choose... whereas HOTWIRE you can know the amenities the hotel offers and/or take a guess as t what you think you may receive.

What are the amenities associated with the 3* on HOTWIRE, as the hotel i'm currently seeing in this zone when searching for your dates i'm not certain is the Holiday Inn Express MSG.

HOTWIRE will always show the least expensive hotel offered in each zone at each star level, so just keep searching periodically and keep an eye out for a good deal.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

lastminutetravel.com (accessed through the BB support/travel links tab above under hotels) lists the Sohotel as available for your nights at $242.28, with taxes and fees added it totals $578.45 for 2 nights. I haven't stayed there, and the hotel hasn't been rated on the BB Board, but another thought for you!

I'm not sure this is where you want to stay... i'd call this property 2* and upon further inspection found it 1 star rated by priceline.

There are plenty of 3.5* rated properties about this same price, or less, which i would take before this one.

Looking for a 3.5-4 * in any of these areas:

1) Chelsea

2) MSG-Convention Center

3)Empire State Building

4)Hell's Kitchen

5)Central Park South

6)Midtown West

7)Midtown East

8)Upper West Side

Ready to bid now, looking to spend maximum of 190 per night with taxes and fees if possible.

Looking to spend around $550 if we can.
Ready to bid now, looking to spend maximum of 190 per night with taxes and fees if possible.

Based upon current rates your original budget of $550 all-in (bid price ~$230) is realistic... $380 all-in (bid price ~$160) is probably not.

What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel thru conventional booking channels?

I found an AMAZING HOTWIRE rate that dried up on my before I knew any better of 160 per night at what I narrowed down to be the Holiday Inn Express MSG. I have also found a deal of about 260 per night for the Double Tree Metro. I would like to get a better deal than the Metro and am willing to go up to my original budget of $550 to make this happen. Would you recommend going for a cheaper 3*? I am really open to all advice and strategy you have for me.

In NYC there can be a lot of variation within the same star level, so i prefer to stick with 3.5* if it's within your budget... or at the 3* level i'll often look towards HOTWIRE to ensure it's a 'good' one based upon the reviews, percent recommended, Tripadvisor rating if shown, etc.

So at the 3.5* level there are a few caveats in the following zones which you included in your bidding above:

Central Park South - has the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms

Midtown East - 3.5* and lower hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway

Upper West Side - goes pretty far north, and the northern end of this zone is not what the typical NYC visitor would likely find convenient

Are all the zones above/scenarios acceptable?

Is there anyway to get my bid accepted and remove these zones?
Which zones... CPS, MTE and UWS... or just CPS??
...based on the semi-potential success of the W from the other priceline winning hotel bid thread, I would be willing to add Downtown.
The W New York Downtown is 4* rated, and previously above we moving forward with 3.5* bidding (i believe)... are you now looking to bid 4*? Also, keep in mind that when you bid on PRICELINE you can win any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose... so if you include the Downtown zone in your bidding and are successful, you could win a hotel other than the W Downtown.

Please confirm the star rating and we'll take it from there.

After speaking with my GF, we would like the add downtown to the zone list and remove the zones you listed with some problamtic qualities. I wouild obviously take a 4 star, but was a bit confused about the star process. Now I have an understanding on how it works. So could we perhaps try for 4 stars at first and if nothing is accepted, lower to 3.5?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]