Priceline Hotel: Santa Monica/MDR strategy for 9/9-9/11

karfypie
By karfypie,
in

Hi there,

Am looking for 2 nights accomodation for 9/9-9/11 for santa monica area.

So far I have bid 3* $70, then added inglewood then $80. Both were rejected. Do you have any idea what price range could be accepted for a 3 star?

Am happy to bid for 2.5*, i think venice on the beach is full for those dates so would just be for the marina international which is fine. Are there any LA rebid zones for a 2.5* or do you have to wait 24hrs to rebid at a higher price?

I used your link to PRICELINE and will continue to do so.

Thanks very much,

Katharine

I just bid for santa monica:

2.5*- $65 rejected

then added 2* as there didnt seem to be any the list but was a bit of a gamble at $75 - rejected

then added 1* at $85 and rejected

So it seems the cheapest for santa monica area is more than $85, any ideas what the range would be?

We may have to stay in a hostel if we want this area. Any suggestions for surrounding areas?

Thanks,

Katharine

The Courtyard Marina Del Rey is the 3* that comes up most often, and it's $169 for your dates, which are a weekend.

Your $85 limit seems realistic, or maybe $5-10 too low. If you don't need to secure something now my suggestion is to keep trying to $85-90 every few days now. With three weeks to go you may still be bidding too early.

If you want to secure something now Culver City is the closest zone to Santa Monica where you might win a 3* for less than you've bid. I'd hold out for SM-MDR a while longer if you can.

Thanks for using the board's PRICELINE link.

Hi Colfax,

Thanks for your reply. I just tried $90 and was rejected but a message came up that said:

Usually you have to wait 24 hours to bid again but for a one time offer if you up your bid by $26 to $116 you can bid again.

I clicked onto the next page to see how much it would come to with taxes and charges and it was $276 which is just too much for us. With $90 it came to $216 so probably $90-$95 is our max.

So I guess that is the minimum they are willing to accept, what do you think? $116 seems a lot if the price is $169 for the dates. I think will do what you suggested and wait a few days and then rebid.

When you said that the price is $169 and so my bid of $85 seemed realistic, are bids accepted for about half the rack rate then?

Thanks,

Katharine

So I guess that is the minimum they are willing to accept, what do you think? $116...
The 'right' number is between $91 and $116... sometimes it take just $1 more then your previous bid, other times it takes the full amount of the counter offer.
$276 which is just too much for us. With $90 it came to $216...
What is the best deal you're able t find thru traditional booking channels?
so probably $90-$95 is our max.
You could try $91-$95 since it's possible that you could win, given the 'right' number is between $91-$116.
When you said that the price is $169 and so my bid of $85 seemed realistic, are bids accepted for about half the rack rate then?
Just like hotel rates, the amount a hotel a hotel is willing to discount fluctuates based upon a variety of factors (mostly occupancy levels at the hotel for the given dates). Given that this area is busier on weekends then mid-week, they may not be willing to discount too deeply at this point in time given it's a 'higher season' for them and they therefore would rather hotel onto rooms in hopes of selling them on their own at full price.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What is the best deal you're able t find thru traditional booking channels?

The courtyard is $169, the erwin is $210 and the holiday inn at $230. The marina del rey is fully booked now.

Thanks for your advice I think will go for $92, then $94 and $96 when I can bid again after the 24hour block out or maybe leave it a few days and have another go.

Like you said it may be that since it is a busy time already they just don't need to discount and will sell out anyway.

Yes I will use your PRICELINE link, thanks.

Katharine

Ok so I just tried 2.5* hoping to get Marina International:

$80 rejected added 2*

$85 rejected added 1*

$92 rejected so now have to wait 24 hours

The cheapest I can find for the marina international for the same dates is $126. But they won't accept $92 hmmm.

Any thoughts? Just wait a bit longer perhaps and hope rooms don't full up? Maybe they are holding out for people to pay the higher prices.

I used your PRICELINE links for each bidding session, thanks.

Katharine

It's surprising the 2.5* Marina International doesn't come through for $92 when their rate is $126.

A few possiblities:

1) Maybe they quit participating in Priceline. They haven't been reported here since February.

2) Maybe they only participate on weekdays, not weekends.

3) Maybe they don't give Priceline inventory more than a few days or a week in advance.

With 18 days to go what's the plan? From your counteroffers you know you can win a 3* for $116 or less now.

Do you want to sit tight and see if the price comes down?

If you don't get a Priceline bid accepted at $96 or less where do you plan to stay?

And thanks for using the board's PRICELINE link, Katherine.

hey, thanks for the reply again.

I tried bidding up to $100 for 3* with no luck, I got the counter offer of $116 which is to much for us.

Instead I booked the HI santa monica hostel so 2 beds in a dorm for $43 each a night. Rather than waiting and carrying on bidding we just wanted to get it sorted. Its obviously not as great as having a room of our own but is fine for us as we're young and used to hostels.

Thanks for all your help and I will recommend your site to any friends who I know are booking hotels.

Katharine

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]